Connections between Mississippian culture and Mesoamerica?

Started by Queequeg, January 20, 2013, 02:30:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

PDH

One thing to remember, the movement of ideas took a long time.  Maize, for instance moves from Mesoamerica to the American Southwest in about 2000 years (or more).  That is plenty of time for a gradual acculturation of ideas and practices.

You don't need invaders or such mobile groups, all you need is time.
I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.
-Umberto Eco

-------
"I'm pretty sure my level of depression has nothing to do with how much of a fucking asshole you are."

-CdM

Razgovory

Quote from: Queequeg on January 21, 2013, 04:02:21 PM
Yeah, but the proto-Aztecs overpowered a settled agricultural population as a (presumably tiny) nomadic band that was hundreds of miles from it's home.  It seems quite different to me from most of the cases of language replacement I am familiar with.  The Turks were relatively small, but the mobility of the horse meant that a man born in Western Mongolia could pretty easily settle down in the vicinity of modern Ankara, and the steppe's ability to support massive numbers of horses was a huge tactical advantage.  Nahuatl had nothing like that far as I can see.

I'm not sue the proto-Aztecs were tiny nomadic bands.  I think they had agriculture.  Besides, language replacement took place in the Old World without horse.  For instance the Afro-Asiatic speakers seemed to have conquered Sumeria at some point well before horses were common in the area.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Queequeg

Quote from: Razgovory on January 21, 2013, 04:20:44 PM
Quote from: Queequeg on January 21, 2013, 04:02:21 PM
Yeah, but the proto-Aztecs overpowered a settled agricultural population as a (presumably tiny) nomadic band that was hundreds of miles from it's home.  It seems quite different to me from most of the cases of language replacement I am familiar with.  The Turks were relatively small, but the mobility of the horse meant that a man born in Western Mongolia could pretty easily settle down in the vicinity of modern Ankara, and the steppe's ability to support massive numbers of horses was a huge tactical advantage.  Nahuatl had nothing like that far as I can see.

I'm not sue the proto-Aztecs were tiny nomadic bands.  I think they had agriculture.  Besides, language replacement took place in the Old World without horse.  For instance the Afro-Asiatic speakers seemed to have conquered Sumeria at some point well before horses were common in the area.
I think they might have had wagons, but year the moment I posted this I thought of the Akkadians. 
Quote from: PDH on April 25, 2009, 05:58:55 PM
"Dysthymia?  Did they get some student from the University of Chicago with a hard-on for ancient Bactrian cities to name this?  I feel cheated."

PDH

Quote from: Queequeg on January 21, 2013, 08:45:51 PM

I think they might have had wagons, but year the moment I posted this I thought of the Akkadians.

English, please.
I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.
-Umberto Eco

-------
"I'm pretty sure my level of depression has nothing to do with how much of a fucking asshole you are."

-CdM

Queequeg

I think the Semitic invaders of Mesopotamia during the time of the Sumerians-who would later be called Akkadians-might have had wagons, but most of the migrants were probably on foot.  This directly contradicts my previous post wherein I couldn't remember another time a settled quasi-nomadic people conquered and assimilated a settled agricultural society.  The Akkadians did it. 
"Dysthymia?  Did they get some student from the University of Chicago with a hard-on for ancient Bactrian cities to name this?  I feel cheated."

PDH

You don't need a migration of people to have a diffusion of culture.  The bell beaker spread 4-5000 years ago seems to indicate this.
-Umberto Eco

-------

-CdM

Razgovory

I've noticed that Psellos and I think alike often.  Poor, guy. :(
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Queequeg

Quote from: PDH on January 21, 2013, 09:02:28 PM
You don't need a migration of people to have a diffusion of culture.  The bell beaker spread 4-5000 years ago seems to indicate this.
Wouldn't some kind of core nucleus of migrants be assumed? 

citizen k

Quote from: Queequeg on January 22, 2013, 02:12:51 AM
Quote from: PDH on January 21, 2013, 09:02:28 PM
Wouldn't some kind of core nucleus of migrants be assumed?

Trade between groups should be sufficient in most cases.

Queequeg

Queequeg

To use an example I am familiar with, the proto-Uralics had extensive ties with the Indo-Europeans. Much of the material culture was shared, and there was a lot of linguistic contact. Genetic admixture was inevitable, but likely far less so than in areas of outright conquest by earliest Indo-European groups. Some Uralic groups-the Proto-Hungarians- could be spoken of as sharing a material culture with other Eurasian pastoralists, having received large parts of the Indo-European "package." But genetic admixture and linguistic intermingling still happened. Assuming that a linguistic and material culture could change in this period without genetic admixture seems unlikely. Particularly linguistic element.

jimmy olsen

With the rise of genetic sequencing of ancient remains the academic tide has turned against the "pots, not people" paradigm in tabor of migration and expansion.

http://blogs.discovermagazine.com/gnxp/2010/10/volkerwanderung-back-with-a-vengeance/#.UP6FiB01gm8
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point