News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Earl Weaver, 82, dies

Started by Syt, January 19, 2013, 11:54:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Minsky Moment

Quote from: CountDeMoney on January 20, 2013, 07:41:30 AM
Earl was the first to take a truly statistical analysis managerial approach to baseball, before it came into vogue.
Used to have index cards on every player and hitter-pitcher match up with him in the dugout, complete with stats and situational percentages. Nobody else ever did that at the time.

The 82 Orioles were my favorite strat-o-matic team.  Everyone plays multiple positions and lots of great platoon splits.  Lowenstein was a monster on RHP that year.  The whole bench was stocked.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

CountDeMoney

Quote from: The Minsky Moment on January 21, 2013, 11:03:08 AM
The 82 Orioles were my favorite strat-o-matic team.  Everyone plays multiple positions and lots of great platoon splits.  Lowenstein was a monster on RHP that year.  The whole bench was stocked.

Yeah, that whole team was a pretty damned good dugout.  Not a weak spot anywhere on defense.

The Minsky Moment

That 82 team is a good demonstration why Weaver fully deserved his rep as a great manager.  The team was full of part-time guys and  castoffs like Lowenstein, Ayala, Terry Crowley, Jim Dwyer, Gary Roenicke, etc. but Weaver mixed and matched them to maxmize stengths and minimize weaknesses.  He nearly stole a pennant from Harvey's stacked Wallbangers despite only having one legit star in the lineup and only one outfielder with more than 425 at bats. 

But the most incredible thing was what he did with Ripken in his then rookie year.  Ripken started at third base.  But Weaver decided to move this 6'4" giant to shortstop.  He did this both because it helped him sling Rich Dauer and Lenn Sakata around the field like jumping beans, but also to find playing time for Glenn Gulliver, who despite only hitting .200, walked so often that his OBP was over .360.  Right away everyone thought he was nuts because back then the model SS was a 150 pound weakling and because this being two decades before Moneyball no one had a clue what OBP was.  They just saw Weaver sticking a 6'4" rookie into shortstop to make room for a .200 hitter.

Shortly after moving Ripken to SS, Cal went into a epochal slump - one of the worst of his entire career.  The press was all over Weaver's back.  But he not only refused to take out Ripken (whose famous streak actually commenced around this time) but he also refused him move him back to 3B.  And all of this happens in the middle of a pennant race.  I think I can safely say that virtually no other modern manager would have had the balls to do this.  Maybe Durocher.  It would be impossible to imagine today.

The result was Cal pulled out of slump, won rookie of the year, won the AL MVP the next year, and became a legend.  And Weaver nearly turned this team filled with spare parts, slumping rookies and no names into an AL pennant.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

sbr

Did the white house release a statement on the death of weaver?

Stan the man got one.

CountDeMoney

Quote from: The Minsky Moment on January 21, 2013, 12:17:17 PM
The result was Cal pulled out of slump, won rookie of the year, won the AL MVP the next year, and became a legend.  And Weaver nearly turned this team filled with spare parts, slumping rookies and no names into an AL pennant.

Damned Brewers.  Will never forget that last series.

Earl was vindicated the following season, he just had to see it from the broadcast booth.  But the '83 WS was his work.

Barrister

Quote from: The Minsky Moment on January 21, 2013, 11:03:08 AM
Quote from: CountDeMoney on January 20, 2013, 07:41:30 AM
Earl was the first to take a truly statistical analysis managerial approach to baseball, before it came into vogue.
Used to have index cards on every player and hitter-pitcher match up with him in the dugout, complete with stats and situational percentages. Nobody else ever did that at the time.

My dad had some old baseball game for the Apple II.  He even went so far as to type in the names and stats of a bunch of other teams so you could play with those.

I of course always used the 1980 Royals.  I'm a Royals fan of course, but who needs a stocked bench when you have a .390 hitter.   :menace:
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

The Minsky Moment

Quote from: Barrister on January 21, 2013, 01:10:03 PM
I of course always used the 1980 Royals. 

What was the keystroke command for feeding Willie Aikens' coke habit?
--Joan Robinson

Ed Anger

Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Barrister

No Alt button on the Apple II. :nerd:
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Ed Anger

Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive