News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Richmond, Virginia

Started by Caliga, January 19, 2013, 07:24:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Caliga

So my bro is getting ready to move down there (he and his wife are house hunting there right now, actually); his wife got transferred down there.  I don't know jack about Richmond and neither does he.

Those of you that are familiar: where are good places to live, eat, etc.?
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

Admiral Yi

I've spent one day in Richmond, so: don't know, don't know, don't know.

It's a very small city. 

The only thing of (negligible) value I can contribute to the topic is that Powite Highway is named the way it is because that's where the poor whites used to live.  Still might live there I suppose.

katmai

Beyond one of my Ex's living there like a decade ago i got bupkus!
Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life, son

Caliga

@Yi I'll tell my brother to buy a house on that road. :cool:

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Caliga on January 19, 2013, 07:31:38 PM
@Yi I'll tell my brother to buy a house on that road. :cool:

Very convenient to the nipple bars if memory serves. :)

Razgovory

Grumbler has lived in the area.  He might know something.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Caliga

I thought grumbles lived near Charlottesville. :hmm:

That said, this thread was kinda aimed at him and Otto. :)

dps

I've been there a few times, but only briefly and the most recent was almost 25 years ago, so I don't have much to say.  I do seem to recall that for the size of the city itself, its suburbs seemed to spread all over the place.

MadImmortalMan

Richmond has a nice downtown area with high-end restaurants and stuff. Lots of history there. It struck me as a pretty concentrated city with the "suburbs" being small towns a bit removed. The "bad" parts of the city are the south and east part of the core city I think. Most of the nicer areas to live are in places like Chesterfield County and western Henrico County. The west side of the city is nice too--I might go for that if there aren't any kids in the picture. When I was going there regularly for work, everyone was pretty negative about the Richmond City school district. That may have been improved by now, though.
"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers

Caliga

He mentioned they looked at places in Glen Allen, Midlothian, and Chesterfield.  The plant she'll work at is in South Richmond.

CountDeMoney

Quote from: MadImmortalMan on January 19, 2013, 07:43:14 PM
Richmond has a nice downtown area with high-end restaurants and stuff.

As long as you're near the university district, you're fine.  Every place else is a dump.

I've been there a few times.  Not impressed;  it's a shitty little city.  And I know shitty little cities.

Plenty of Waffle Houses, though.

Caliga

:lol: He ate at a Waffle House this morning (in Manassas, though).

Razgovory

Quote from: Caliga on January 19, 2013, 07:33:58 PM
I thought grumbles lived near Charlottesville. :hmm:

That said, this thread was kinda aimed at him and Otto. :)

He's live in several places in Virginia, at least according to my records.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

PDH

I went there when I was 7.  I don't remember what the housing situation was like.  I ate waffles there as well.
I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.
-Umberto Eco

-------
"I'm pretty sure my level of depression has nothing to do with how much of a fucking asshole you are."

-CdM

mongers

It's nice in parts, but property by the Thames can be very expensive.  :bowler:
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"