Guy jailed for 5 years in the UK for nothing in particular

Started by Richard Hakluyt, January 18, 2013, 08:42:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Richard Hakluyt

CountDeMoney

Nice to see you could serve time in the UK for downloading stuff from the old ogrish.com website.

Valmy

Wait so he is being sent to prison for trolling online?  :huh:

Quote"While Slee may not have been planning any sort of attack, he could easily have influenced someone else with the propaganda he was uploading."

Seriously?  :lol:

This is a spoof right?
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

CountDeMoney

QuoteJudge Anthony Russell QC said: "It beggars belief that anyone can have an interest in such material which reveals a shocking and barbaric depravity and complete absence of any degree of humanity.

"There is no doubt that this and the other videos have been created in order to encourage people to rally to the terrorist cause, however difficult it is to comprehend that such material would have that result except for the most perverted of minds."

Guilty of: BAD TASTE

Richard Hakluyt

Yeah, the guy is being sent down for 5 years for having bad taste and being an utter wanker, the mind boggles.

He actually has the same MP as me, I think I'm going to have to put pen to paper and give Mark Hendrick MP the benefit of my opinion on this case.

Darth Wagtaros

PDH!

mongers

Quote from: Richard Hakluyt on January 18, 2013, 09:01:42 PM
Yeah, the guy is being sent down for 5 years for having bad taste and being an utter wanker, the mind boggles.

He actually has the same MP as me, I think I'm going to have to put pen to paper and give Mark Hendrick MP the benefit of my opinion on this case.

:thumbsup:

A rather astonish case.
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

Josquius

Really disagree with the recent trend for giving people big sentences for being wankers.
I could definitely see a case for some fines, community service, etc.... for such stuff but 5 years? Madness.
██████
██████
██████

Syt

Quote from: Tyr on January 19, 2013, 12:44:30 AM
Really disagree with the recent trend for giving people big sentences for being wankers.

Yeah, you can't just jail the majority of the population. Will this decision go to appeals?
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Syt

http://www.ibtimes.co.uk/articles/425622/20130118/craig-slee-terrorism-uploading-facebook-beheadings-taliban.htm says:

QuoteCraig Slee, 32, of Preston, was jailed at Preston Crown Court for five years for four offences under the 2006 Terrorism Act, including encouraging terrorism and dissemination of terrorist publications.

If this follows the letter of the law: overkill much?
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

The Brain

I love England but when it comes to law it's so weird.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Viking

Quote from: Richard Hakluyt on January 18, 2013, 08:42:47 PM
I'm interested in the board's opinions on this story :

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-21090488

I can understand an argument for putting him in a mental institution, but free speech allows us to be stupid.
First Maxim - "There are only two amounts, too few and enough."
First Corollary - "You cannot have too many soldiers, only too few supplies."
Second Maxim - "Be willing to exchange a bad idea for a good one."
Second Corollary - "You can only be wrong or agree with me."

A terrorist which starts a slaughter quoting Locke, Burke and Mill has completely missed the point.
The fact remains that the only person or group to applaud the Norway massacre are random Islamists.

Martinus

Quote from: The Brain on January 19, 2013, 01:00:34 AM
I love England but when it comes to law it's so weird.

Yeah I think it gets the worst of two worlds - very harsh (from the European perspective) sentencing for crimes characteristic for the Anglosaxon system, and somewhat illiberal (from the American perspective) laws characteristic for the European system.

Martinus

Quote from: Viking on January 19, 2013, 01:19:55 AM
Quote from: Richard Hakluyt on January 18, 2013, 08:42:47 PM
I'm interested in the board's opinions on this story :

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-21090488

I can understand an argument for putting him in a mental institution, but free speech allows us to be stupid.

Britain doesn't have (and never really had) free speech. I think it is one of the most common misconceptions about the legal system there.