News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

The Unholy Intersection of NFL and CFL News

Started by ulmont, January 16, 2013, 11:23:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ulmont

QuoteThe Chicago Bears hired Marc Trestman of the Canadian Football League's Montreal Alouettes as coach to replace Lovie Smith.
Trestman, 57, returns to the National Football League after compiling a 59-31 record in five seasons in Montreal and winning Grey Cup championships in 2009 and 2010.
http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2013-01-16/chicago-bears-hire-trestman-from-canada-s-alouettes-as-nfl-coach.html

I don't remember Trestman in the NFL - unsurprisingly, considering "Trestman's last NFL job was as quarterbacks coach and assistant head coach of the Miami Dolphins in 2004."

Any Canucks care to comment on what this does to the CFL?

Any Yanks care to speculate on whether the Bears can unfuck themselves?

Neil, you want to talk about both?

CountDeMoney

Marc Trestman was the "new hotness" back in the late 80s-early 90s, starting off as Bernie's QB coach and then elevated to OC under Bud Carson, eliminating Lindy Infante's mult-dimensional offense.  He was considered one of the up-and-comers when he went and did time with Oakland, and did the bombs away thing with Al Davis' vertical passing game with that human 81mm mortar, Jay Schroeder.  Sorta like Indirect Fire, he could throw it 70 yards, but it could land 5 yards in any direction on the compass.

Not impressed.

Grey Fox

Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

CountDeMoney

Yeah, I'd be a bit peeved going from Lovie to Trestman, too.

Edit:  Wiki'd Trestman, my mind is a little hazy with his Raiders;  he worked with Gannon, not Schroeder. 

Barrister

Under Trestman, the Alouettes have been the league's most successful franchise, with the highest winning percentage and two Grey Cup wins.

Trouble is that even before he got there though the Als were still on of the league's most successful franchises, with another win (and three losses) in the Grey Cup.  Whether it's canny team management (I think being a GM in the CFL is probably tougher than in the NFL - having to pick over the scraps left by the NFL), or the fact that for the last decade the Als have had Calvillo, the world record holder for all-time passing yards, or Trestman, shall be seen.

I hope it means more CFL teams hire good football minds from down south, rather than recycle the same old names endlessly up here.  Perhaps more US coaches will see that coming to the CFL isn't a career dead-end.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Grey Fox

Quote from: Barrister on January 16, 2013, 11:36:26 AM
I hope it means more CFL teams hire good football minds from down south, rather than recycle the same old names endlessly up here.  Perhaps more US coaches will see that coming to the CFL isn't a career dead-end.

I hope that the Als having to find a new coach, fuck you bears, won't back dip & hire Maciocia.

Barrister

Quote from: Grey Fox on January 16, 2013, 11:43:49 AM

I hope that the Als having to find a new coach, fuck you bears, won't back dip & hire Maciocia.

Good God, why would they do that.

Talk about hiring the same old names...

Grey Fox

Quote from: Barrister on January 16, 2013, 11:51:00 AM

He's from Montreal. He's currently the coach at UdM.

Barrister

Quote from: Grey Fox on January 16, 2013, 11:58:17 AM
Quote from: Barrister on January 16, 2013, 11:51:00 AM

He's from Montreal. He's currently the coach at UdM.

So?  He stank up the joint in Edmonton.  He also has zero american experience, either NCAA or NFL.  Those guys are just light years ahead of what CIS is doing.

dps

Gene Chizik's available.