401k and other retirement plans: have you raided yours yet?

Started by CountDeMoney, January 16, 2013, 11:22:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Have you raided your retirement accounts?

Yes, I've had to in times of financial peril
4 (11.4%)
No, never had to touch them
22 (62.9%)
What retirement accounts?  I work paycheck to paycheck, I have no such luxury
6 (17.1%)
Ha! I'm a public employee, and therefore lucky enough to have a pension while still hating on unions, because I'm a GOP dickhead
3 (8.6%)

Total Members Voted: 35

Admiral Yi

You for one.  :P

What are you bitching about now, if not the fickle nature of Big Brother's affections?

Malthus

Quote from: Admiral Yi on January 25, 2013, 11:03:01 AM

What are you bitching about now, if not the fickle nature of Big Brother's affections?

People saving for retirement are screwed seemingly no matter what (we) do.

Rely on government? Why, they will just raid the pensions kitty when they run out of cash - which is always. By the time you come to retire, there won't be enough left to feed your cat, let alone you. Even if you choose to eat cat food.

Put money in a savings account? Well, with rates as they are, might as well put cash under your matress.

Rely on investing in equities? Stock market crashes and takes all your money with it.

Rely on professional investment advisors? They will rob you blind with fees, *then* the stock market will crash and take all your money with it.  :lol:
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

Phillip V

Quote from: Malthus on January 25, 2013, 11:12:20 AM
Quote from: Admiral Yi on January 25, 2013, 11:03:01 AM

People saving for retirement are screwed seemingly no matter what (we) do.

Rely on government? Why, they will just raid the pensions kitty when they run out of cash - which is always. By the time you come to retire, there won't be enough left to feed your cat, let alone you. Even if you choose to eat cat food.

Put money in a savings account? Well, with rates as they are, might as well put cash under your matress.

Rely on investing in equities? Stock market crashes and takes all your money with it.

Rely on professional investment advisors? They will rob you blind with fees, *then* the stock market will crash and take all your money with it.  :lol:

Become a politician or high-level government bureaucrat. Security achieved.

Valmy

The old people around here are having to invest in rental properties and start small businesses to fund their retirement.  The low interest rates are killing them and basically blew up their retirement plans.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

merithyn

Quote from: Valmy on January 25, 2013, 11:18:51 AM
The old people around here are having to invest in rental properties and start small businesses to fund their retirement.  The low interest rates are killing them and basically blew up their retirement plans.

I'm planning to do the rental properties thing, myself. Meri the Slum Lady has a nice ring to it, doesn't it? :D
Yesterday, upon the stair,
I met a man who wasn't there
He wasn't there again today
I wish, I wish he'd go away...

Barrister

Quote from: merithyn on January 25, 2013, 11:22:13 AM

I'm planning to do the rental properties thing, myself. Meri the Slum Lady has a nice ring to it, doesn't it? :D

I've heard of tons of people saying they want to own rental properties.  It's the financial trend du jour.

Which makes me think it's now a bad idea, in particular in Canada where we have declining real estate prices.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Admiral Yi

Then you wait a year and all your money comes back.

Phillip V

Quote from: Admiral Yi on January 25, 2013, 11:27:15 AM

Then you wait a year and all your money comes back.
Only if there is a Bernanke II.

merithyn

Quote from: Barrister on January 25, 2013, 11:24:19 AM
I've heard of tons of people saying they want to own rental properties.  It's the financial trend du jour.

Which makes me think it's now a bad idea, in particular in Canada where we have declining real estate prices.

That's actually what makes buying and renting properties smart now. Buy the houses while they're cheap, rent them out, and keep the house for 15-20 years. The real estate prices are going to bounce back from where they are now. Will they go as high as they were before? Oh, I hope not. However, if you're smart about how you set your rents and take care of your properties, the houses will appreciate and you'll get a monthly income. It's not free money - there's work involved - but it's a smart way to earn extra money.

Malthus

Quote from: Barrister on January 25, 2013, 11:24:19 AM
Quote from: merithyn on January 25, 2013, 11:22:13 AM

From what I've seen, renting properties is a risky way for the average person to make money. You are at the mercy of your tenants, and should they choose to wreck your place and/or not pay rent, they can very effectively get away with it for a long time and cost you much money to get rid of them. There is a reason slum lords have goons as enforcers.  :lol:

That's true no matter what real-estate prices do.
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

Gups

You can get round this by requiring decent size deposits and (possibly) guarantors.

Renting property in London has been very popular for many years now and still produces very good yields as well as capital growth. It's getting the finance that is the hard bit.

Neil

Retirement saving is pointless anyways.  If you're involved in the stock market, your money will be stolen from you, as that's the whole point of the stock market.

My plan is to suffer a massive stroke no later than my mid-50s and die.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

Malthus

Quote from: Gups on January 25, 2013, 11:48:07 AM
You can get round this by requiring decent size deposits and (possibly) guarantors.

Renting property in London has been very popular for many years now and still produces very good yields as well as capital growth. It's getting the finance that is the hard bit.

Depends on the market. If there is a shortage of rental units available, it is a lot easier to demand sizable conditions like big deposits and guarantors. If many retirees are getting in the business, one's bargaining power to require such demands as conditions is perforce more limited.

I'm just going by the horror stories I've heard from people trying out this method of making money here in Canada.

merithyn

Quote from: Malthus on January 25, 2013, 11:52:40 AM

Depends on the market. If there is a shortage of rental units available, it is a lot easier to demand sizable conditions like big deposits and guarantors. If many retirees are getting in the business, one's bargaining power to require such demands as conditions is perforce more limited.

I'm just going by the horror stories I've heard from people trying out this method of making money here in Canada.

That's why where you own the property is as important as what property you own. It's a business, and as such has risks. There are ways to minimize the risks - and Gups has given some - and ways to improve the situation based on how you handle the initial outlay of cash.

Neil

Quote from: Malthus on January 25, 2013, 11:52:40 AM
Yeah, a guy I used to work with had rental properties.  He always had to take days off to go to court to get people evicted, and it was a long, painful process.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.