News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

I didn't know trains could do that

Started by Josquius, January 15, 2013, 06:52:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Josquius

http://www.ndtv.com/article/world/girl-steals-train-crashes-into-building-in-sweden-317755

QuoteStockholm: A cleaner stole an empty commuter train from a depot on Tuesday and drove it to a suburb of Stockholm where it derailed and slammed into an apartment building, officials said.

The woman was seriously injured in the early-morning crash and was flown to a Stockholm hospital, police spokesman Lars Bystrom said. No one else was injured.

Bystrom said the woman was arrested on suspicion of endangering the public.

Tomas Hedenius, a spokesman for train operator Arriva, said the woman, born in 1990, stole the four-car train at a depot outside Stockholm.

She then drove it about a mile (1.6 kilometers) to the end station on the railway line, where it jumped off the tracks, careered for about 30 yards (25 meters) and crashed into a three-story building.

Photographs from the scene showed the crumpled front car of the train buried deep into the structure.

"There were three families inside the apartment building, but no one was injured. At least not physically," Hedenius said.

The motives of the woman, who worked for a company contracted to carry out cleaning for the train operator, were not immediately clear.

"We have only heard good things about her. We're investigating how this could happen, and why she did what she did," Hedenius said.

He said it's unclear how she got the keys to the train, but added that driving it is not that complicated.

"Generally speaking that's possible even if you're not a train driver," he said. "You can read about it on the Internet, or observe how others do it."

:lol:
This is something you don't see everyday.
Nice little swing at the train drivers union at the  end there too, "Its not that hard, anyone can do it"

Of course, trains can derail, but hearing the title and seeing the picture at first the image that came to mind for me was of someone stealing a train and riding it down the road....
██████
██████
██████

Liep

I think that picture illustrates why not just anybody should be driving trains. :-p
"Af alle latterlige Ting forekommer det mig at være det allerlatterligste at have travlt" - Kierkegaard

"JamenajmenømahrmDÆ!DÆ! Æhvnårvaæhvadlelæh! Hvor er det crazy, det her, mand!" - Uffe Elbæk

KRonn

Very nice, took a train out for a little ride through a major city. What could possibly go wrong?     :moon:

Ed Anger

Looks like a typical game of transport tycoon. At least when I was playing.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

The Brain

Women want me. Men want to be with me.

garbon

"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

The Brain

Valmy

Yeah I thought it was weird they told you absolutely nothing about the woman, over here they would not just give out the name but probably the picture as well.  But I guess that is pretty standard in Sweden.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

The Brain

Quote from: Valmy on January 16, 2013, 02:14:35 PM
Yeah I thought it was weird they told you absolutely nothing about the woman, over here they would not just give out the name but probably the picture as well.  But I guess that is pretty standard in Sweden.

We prefer not to tell you people anything.

Valmy

Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

mongers

I was surprised to find this thread hadn't turned into a typical Languish trainwreck.  :hmm:
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

Strix

Quote from: mongers on January 16, 2013, 03:05:05 PM
I was surprised to find this thread hadn't turned into a typical Languish trainwreck.  :hmm:

No, we try to keep threads on track around here.
"I always cheer up immensely if an attack is particularly wounding because I think, well, if they attack one personally, it means they have not a single political argument left." - Margaret Thatcher

Eddie Teach

All this punning makes me want to kick somebody in the caboose.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

garbon

"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

mongers

Turns out the cleaner didn't steal the train, but may have accidentally set it in motion because of some procedural safety errors:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-21088672
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"