Faced with blindness, deaf twins choose euthanasia

Started by jimmy olsen, January 14, 2013, 06:45:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jimmy olsen

I do not approve.

What say you Languish, if you were going to be blind and deaf would you end it all?

http://worldnews.nbcnews.com/_news/2013/01/14/16507519-faced-with-blindness-deaf-twins-choose-euthanasia?lite

QuoteFaced with blindness, deaf twins choose euthanasia
By Annabel Roberts, Correspondent, NBC News

A pair of adult identical twins in Belgium have been legally killed at their request, the men's doctor told journalists.

The 45-years-old men, who were born deaf, spent their lives side-by-side — growing up together and then, as adults, sharing an apartment and working as cobblers together, according to Belgian media reports.

The men's names have not been released but photographs of the identical twins from the Antwerp region have been made available to some media outlets.

Their doctor, David Dufour, told Belgium's RTL Television over the weekend that the two men had been losing their eyesight for several years and soon would have been completely blind. The prospect of being blind as well as deaf was unbearable to them, he said.

"They were fully aware of their decision," Dufour said.

After winning approval from the necessary authorities, the two men received lethal injections at a Belgian hospital in December.

Dufour described their last moments: "They had a last cup of coffee and everything was fine. They said goodbye to their parents and brother and all was serene. They waved — and that was that."

Under a 2002 law, Belgians are allowed to end their own lives if a doctor judges an individual has made his or her wishes clear and is suffering unbearable pain.

The case of the twins was unusual because the two men were not approaching the end of their natural lives nor were they terminally ill.

But Jacqueline Herremans, a member of the Belgian Commission of Euthanasia, told RTL that they did meet the legal requirements as their suffering was grave and incurable. When they became blind as well as deaf, he said, they would not have been able to lead autonomous lives, and that with only a sense of touch they had no prospects of a future.

She acknowledged this was an exceptional case.

"Evidently they had a particular destiny. They were two human beings who have lived together, grown up together, worked together and wanted to die together. Their suffering may not have been physical, but there was psychological suffering," she said.

In 2010 and 2011, a total of 2,086 people died by euthanasia in Belgium, according to the country's Euthanasia Commission.

Belgium is now looking at introducing a legal amendment that would allow children and those with dementia the option of seeking permission to die. If passed later this year, the option of euthanasia will be extended to minors affected by an incurable illness, or suffering that cannot be alleviated.
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Jacob

I can certainly see the argument for it. I'm not sure what decision I would make, but I don't begrudge others the freedom to make that choice.

DGuller

Quote from: jimmy olsen on January 14, 2013, 06:45:37 PM
What say you Languish, if you were going to be blind and deaf would you end it all?
The mere thought of having to make that decision would make me shoot myself.

Razgovory

I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Neil

Of course.  A mind cut off from the world?  That's real I Have No Mouth And I Must Scream stuff right there.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

derspiess

After winning approval from the necessary authorities, the two men received lethal injections at a Belgian hospital in December.

Dufour described their last moments: "They had a last cup of coffee and everything was fine. They said goodbye to their parents and brother and all was serene. They waved — and that was that."

This is so very European.

I'm conflicted.  On first glance I'm repulsed by the whole idea, but putting myself in that situation I can't say I fault them for wanting to end it.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Razgovory

Quote from: derspiess on January 14, 2013, 08:27:13 PM

This is so very European.

I'm conflicted.  On first glance I'm repulsed by the whole idea, but putting myself in that situation I can't say I fault them for wanting to end it.

I find the idea creepy.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Jaron

I'd probably do the same. Life without sight and sound is no kind of life at all.
Winner of THE grumbler point.

PDH

What more did they have to live for? They faced a life of isolation and despondency, knowing that their place in the world was more in their minds than anywhere else.  They had a future of irrelevance and lack of meaningful communication with anyone else.

In other words, they were Belgian.  Oh, the deaf and blind thing was probably a bummer too.
I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.
-Umberto Eco

-------
"I'm pretty sure my level of depression has nothing to do with how much of a fucking asshole you are."

-CdM

Neil

Quote from: PDH on January 14, 2013, 09:46:40 PM
What more did they have to live for? They faced a life of isolation and despondency, knowing that their place in the world was more in their minds than anywhere else.  They had a future of irrelevance and lack of meaningful communication with anyone else.

In other words, they were Belgian.  Oh, the deaf and blind thing was probably a bummer too.
:lol:

If Languish threads are contests, this one has been won.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

Darth Wagtaros

Quote from: PDH on January 14, 2013, 09:46:40 PM

POTM!
PDH!

Ideologue

I do not approve.

Dude, blind me alone and I'll snuff it.  They don't make comics in braille.
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

Razgovory

Quote from: Ideologue on January 14, 2013, 11:50:56 PM
I do not approve.

Dude, blind me alone and I'll snuff it.  They don't make comics in braille.

I give you about five years before you snuff it anyway.

Eddie Teach

To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Martinus

Quote from: Neil on January 14, 2013, 08:02:47 PM
Of course.  A mind cut off from the world?  That's real I Have No Mouth And I Must Scream stuff right there.

I fully agree with you. I would have probably made the same decision.