News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

New Hope for Freedom

Started by Jacob, January 14, 2013, 03:46:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jacob

Glen Beck is proposing to build a new community based on freedom. Check it out: http://www.glennbeck.com/2013/01/10/take-a-tour-of-glenns-visionary-plans-for-independence/

Quote from: Glen Beck's VisionWhile Independence is very much a dream at this point, the proposed city-theme park hybrid would bring several of Glenn's seemingly disconnected projects into one place. Media, live events, small business stores, educational projects, charity, entertainment, news, information, and technology R&D – all of these things would have a home in Independence. With the rest of the country and the world going away from the values of freedom, responsibility and truth, Independence would be a place built on the very foundation of those principles. A retreat from the world where entrepreneurs, artists, and creators could come to put their ideas to work. A place for families to bring their children to be inspired.

The ambitious project, projected to cost over two billion dollars, has been heavily influenced by Walt Disney. As Glenn has been explaining throughout the week, Disneyland was originally intended to be a place where people would find happiness, inspiration, courage and hope. Over time, Walt Disney's original vision has been lost. While hundreds of thousands still flock to the town, it's become commercialized and the big dreams and the heart have been compromised.

Glenn believes that he can bring the heart and the spirit of Walt's early Disneyland ideas into reality. Independence, USA wouldn't be about rides and merchandise, but would be about community and freedom. The Marketplace would be a place where craftmen and artisan could open and run real small businesses and stores. The owners and tradesmen could hold apprenticeships and teach young people the skills and entrepreneurial spirit that has been lost in today's entitlement state.

There would also be an Media Center, where Glenn's production company would film television, movies, documentaries, and more. Glenn hoped to include scripted television that would challenge viewers without resorting to a loss of human decency. He also said it would be a place where aspiring journalists would learn how to be great reporters.

Across the lake, there would be a church modelled after The Alamo which would act as a multi-denominational mission center. The town will also have a working ranch where visitors can learn how to farm and work the land. Independence would also be home to a Research and Development center where people would come to learn, innovate, educate, and create. There would be a theme park for people to recharge and have fun with their families. People would also have the option to live in Independence, with a residential area where people of different incomes could all come together and be neighbors.

If you don't like Beck, there's an alternative community being planned - the Citadel: http://www.iiicitadel.com/index.html

Apparently in the freedom loving community of the Citadel, it's mandatory to bear arms. There is also a map (so we know Timmy's in):

derspiess

Glenn Beck literally has more money than he knows what to do with.  I thought it would have already happened by now, but at some point he'll seriously overextend himself, it will all come crashing down and he'll be penniless.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Jacob

That sounds like an argument to go for the Citadel, rather than independence. The key values are:
QuotePatriotism
Pride in American Exceptionalism
Our proud history of Liberty as defined by our Founding Fathers, and
Physical preparedness to survive and prevail in the face of natural catastrophes — such as Hurricanes Sandy or Katrina — or man-made catastrophes such as a power grid failure or economic collapse.

They also have a handy cost calculator for your home at the Citadel: http://www.iiicitadel.com/calculator.html

Neil

I think that the Citadel is a great idea, since it would allow a single bombing raid to solve a lot of problems.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

Kleves

QuoteOver time, Walt Disney's original vision has been lost.
Translation: they let Jews in.
My aim, then, was to whip the rebels, to humble their pride, to follow them to their inmost recesses, and make them fear and dread us. Fear is the beginning of wisdom.

derspiess

Quote from: Neil on January 14, 2013, 04:00:28 PM
I think that the Citadel is a great idea, since it would allow a single bombing raid to solve a lot of problems.

Oh, I'm sure they have underground bunkers.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

The Larch

Quote from: Jacob on January 14, 2013, 03:46:06 PMIf you don't like Beck, there's an alternative community being planned - the Citadel: http://www.iiicitadel.com/index.html

Apparently in the freedom loving community of the Citadel, it's mandatory to bear arms. There is also a map (so we know Timmy's in):

I see that they're eagerly preparing for the zombie apocalypse and/or FBI raid.

Razgovory

I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Viking

Quote from: The Larch on January 14, 2013, 04:20:59 PM

Not quite, in the zombie apocalypse if one of the insiders gets infected they all get infect and they stay inside. The walls keep the walking dead in as well as out.
First Maxim - "There are only two amounts, too few and enough."
First Corollary - "You cannot have too many soldiers, only too few supplies."
Second Maxim - "Be willing to exchange a bad idea for a good one."
Second Corollary - "You can only be wrong or agree with me."

A terrorist which starts a slaughter quoting Locke, Burke and Mill has completely missed the point.
The fact remains that the only person or group to applaud the Norway massacre are random Islamists.

MadImmortalMan

Quote from: Viking on January 14, 2013, 04:30:02 PM
Quote from: The Larch on January 14, 2013, 04:20:59 PM

Not quite, in the zombie apocalypse if one of the insiders gets infected they all get infect and they stay inside. The walls keep the walking dead in as well as out.

They also nicely contain the napalm blasts.
"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers

Neil

Quote from: derspiess on January 14, 2013, 04:14:58 PM
Quote from: Neil on January 14, 2013, 04:00:28 PM
Oh, I'm sure they have underground bunkers.
The hydrogen bomb is a hell of a bomb.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

Valmy

I get having a model community to experiment with new ideas but why does it have to be a fortress?  And...Towers and a gatehouse?  That seems a little old school.  Are viking raiders a serious threat to freedom these days?

QuoteThe Marketplace would be a place where craftmen and artisan could open and run real small businesses and stores. The owners and tradesmen could hold apprenticeships and teach young people the skills and entrepreneurial spirit that has been lost in today's entitlement state.

Yeah...it is entitlement why small artisans and traditional craftsmen are not dominating the economy these days.   I am not really sure about this notion that skills and entrepreneurial spirit is dead or is lost these days.  Where is the evidence for that?  Tons of small businesses are being started.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Tamas

What's with the hard-on for guns?
What Obama should do, is go strong against hair ribbons. Like, trying to regulate them. It would be hillarious to have these people walk around with ribbons in their hairs.

derspiess

Quote from: Tamas on January 14, 2013, 04:40:21 PM
What's with the hard-on for guns?
What Obama should do, is go strong against hair ribbons. Like, trying to regulate them. It would be hillarious to have these people walk around with ribbons in their hairs.

I don't think he has caused anyone to like guns more, so I don't think your analogy works.  It might work if you were to talk about hair ribbon sales going through the roof, however.

mongers

Quote from: Razgovory on January 14, 2013, 04:29:27 PM
So he's going Jonestown now?

Yes, I thought, "oh he's forming his own cult now".

I hope there's a reality show about this, should be hilarious watching all those librarytarians/teabaggers failing to agree on anything or give even an inch to each other, in their quest to build a rural/fairyland idyll. 
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"