What jobs ex-presidents/ex-prime ministers should and should not be doing?

Started by Martinus, January 14, 2013, 03:44:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Martinus

Ok, so again something prompted by a revelation in Polish media that Polish ex-President, Kwasniewski, is on the pay roll of one of the richest people in Poland, acting as a business consultant. There has also been a situation few years ago where the former chancellor of Germany was acting as a business consultant for Gazprom.

So the question to you today is - by your country's standards - are there any (legal) jobs that a former head of state/head of government should not be doing once out of the office or is it a free for all situation and he is permitted to leverage his position to land some sweet consultancy?

For the record, ex-Presidents in Poland get a life time state pension.

MadImmortalMan

They should be ritually murdered when their successor takes office. 
"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers

Camerus

That's a good question.  My first reaction is that former presidents will have built up an immense network of contacts, clients, or others beholden to them during their time in office (and largely by virtue of holding public office).  Thus it seems rather unethical to allow them to leverage that into private financial gain after holding office.  Also, it opens the door to corrupt practices while leader in exchange for sweet jobs after stepping down.

However, I have no data on the subject and am willing to be persuaded otherwise.

Camerus

Also, I wonder how much money Gorbachev made debasing himself with Pizza Hut ads?

Razgovory

Personally I think it's unseemly for a former President to take advantage of his previous career to make money with the exception of writing memoirs and perhaps other academic positions.  I know two Presidents fell into poverty after office.  Grant and Truman.  Grant died soon after of throat cancer, but his posthumous memoirs were a big hit and let his wife live comfortably.  Truman was something of a fuck-up his whole life and never made any money.  When he left office he didn't get his Senate pension for some reason, and Congress created a Presidential pension just for him so he would be indignant.  Taft is a special case.  He left the Presidency and became Supreme Court Justice, a job he really liked.  That seems okay.

Presidents nowadays seem to run charities and organize their libraries.  They also function as elder statesman and advise the current President in an unofficial capacity.  Curiously many former Presidents have become friends.  George W. and Bill Clinton seem to get along fairly well, which is kinda nice.  I think Ford got along with Carter, but now that Ford is dead nobody hangs around Carter on account he has gone crazy.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Razgovory on January 14, 2013, 04:52:07 AM
When he left office he didn't get his Senate pension for some reason, and Congress created a Presidential pension just for him so he would be indignant.

:lol:

dps

Phillip V

I have seen various estimates, so Clinton may have a net worth of $25 million - $100 million.

CountDeMoney

Razgovory

Quote from: CountDeMoney on January 14, 2013, 06:46:15 AM
When he left office he didn't get his Senate pension for some reason, and Congress created a Presidential pension just for him so he would be indignant.

Indigent.   Sorry.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

CountDeMoney

Caliga

Quote from: CountDeMoney on January 14, 2013, 06:46:15 AM

Are you talking about Truman or Carter here? :sleep:
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

jimmy olsen

It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Admiral Yi

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Admiral Yi on January 14, 2013, 08:19:53 AM
They should stay as far away from money making as possible.

What should they do when they're making mad bank before they run for office?