News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Al Gore

Started by Phillip V, January 10, 2013, 04:19:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Valmy on January 11, 2013, 01:03:35 PM
Yeah why are we supposed to hate Al Jazeera again?  I presume they did some outrage at some point.  Or is this just a general hatred of all things Arab?

I think it had something to do with OBL sending his videotapes to them first. 
Because it would've been so much easier for him to send them to Channel 7's Emmy Award-Winning News You Can Use Eyewitness Action Team, with Tammy Cameltoe and The Region's #1 Doppler Radar InstaWeather Center, and Dave St. Jockstrap in Sports.

derspiess

They represent the Arab point of view and IIRC were overly critical of the US failing to avoid 0% collateral damage in the 2003 invasion.

I'm generally neutral on al-J but don't lose much sleep if they get criticized from time to time.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

CountDeMoney

Quote from: derspiess on January 11, 2013, 01:31:54 PM
They represent the Arab point of view and IIRC were overly critical of the US failing to avoid 0% collateral damage in the 2003 invasion.

I'm generally neutral on al-J but don't lose much sleep if they get criticized from time to time.

I've been watching it for years;  I see no "Arab point of view", unless you consider covering the Arab region first as a point of view.  Hell, their #3 teaser on yesterday's broadcast was the fucking Hall of Fame vote results.

Besides, most of their people, from production to set design, are BBC vets anyway.

HVC

Quote from: Viking on January 11, 2013, 01:22:46 PM
Quote from: HVC on January 11, 2013, 01:05:57 PM
Title has "al". Therefore = al Qaida .

Al Jazeera is arabic for "The Island". "Al" in arabic is "the" or the definitive article. So it basically means "The Island" or just "Island".

"Al Qaeda" is "The Base" and apparently has the same meaning in arabic as in english meaning both foundation and base as in base of operations or dr. no's secret lair.
Ya, Portuguese has a lot of "al"'s in place names. Just saying to a random ignorant* person thats what they see.

* aka republican :D
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

derspiess

Quote from: CountDeMoney on January 11, 2013, 01:35:35 PM
I've been watching it for years;  I see no "Arab point of view",

Of course you wouldn't, ibn al Money :yeahright:

Quoteunless you consider covering the Arab region first as a point of view.  Hell, their #3 teaser on yesterday's broadcast was the fucking Hall of Fame vote results.

I guess it worked then since they got you to lower your guard.  Btw they only cover that stuff so their agents can accurately answer questions challenging their Americanness. 

QuoteBesides, most of their people, from production to set design, are BBC vets anyway.

Even worse!
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Barrister

Quote from: Razgovory on January 11, 2013, 01:19:56 PM
Quote from: KRonn on January 11, 2013, 11:03:04 AM
Al Gorezeera. After all his angst over the use of fossil fuels, being the green monster he claims to be, yet he sells out to Al-Jazeera, which was probably founded and supported off of oil money by the oil rich nation of Qatar. Lol.

He supposedly earned 100million in the deal. AJ paid 500 million for Current TV, which has relatively few viewers and probably isn't worth that price tag, but AJ paid it I assume to get into US TV.

"which was probably founded and supported off of oil money"  I really like this.  You freely admit you don't know, yet make a judgement.  Now that's funny.

KRonn was if anything too cautious.  Al Jazeera is most undoubtedly founded and supported by the oil rich nation of Qatar.

You can say that doesn't matter - after all the BBC is founded and supported by a state as well.  But Al Jazeera's ownership is not at all in doubt.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Viking

Qatar exercises some editorial control over Al Jazeera, but that all seems to be defensive. Jazeera is free to conduct it's journalism as long as it doens't criticize the al thani family. Jazeera's policy has been to try and avoid covering Qatar or any Qatar related issues when it can and be neutral when it must e.g. world cup etc.
First Maxim - "There are only two amounts, too few and enough."
First Corollary - "You cannot have too many soldiers, only too few supplies."
Second Maxim - "Be willing to exchange a bad idea for a good one."
Second Corollary - "You can only be wrong or agree with me."

A terrorist which starts a slaughter quoting Locke, Burke and Mill has completely missed the point.
The fact remains that the only person or group to applaud the Norway massacre are random Islamists.

CountDeMoney

Quote from: derspiess on January 11, 2013, 01:38:35 PM
Quote from: CountDeMoney on January 11, 2013, 01:35:35 PM
I've been watching it for years;  I see no "Arab point of view",

Of course you wouldn't, ibn al Money :yeahright:

You just keep sticking to your No Spin Zone, you red-blooded Amurrican, you.  :P

The Brain

Quote from: HVC on January 11, 2013, 01:05:57 PM
Title has "al". Therefore = al Qaida .

Yes. God I hate him.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

derspiess

Quote from: CountDeMoney on January 11, 2013, 01:50:45 PM
You just keep sticking to your No Spin Zone, you red-blooded Amurrican, you.  :P

He's an Irish Catholic, so he's your guy.  No ties to him myself.

KRonn

Quote from: Razgovory on January 11, 2013, 01:19:56 PM
Quote from: KRonn on January 11, 2013, 11:03:04 AM
Al Gorezeera. After all his angst over the use of fossil fuels, being the green monster he claims to be, yet he sells out to Al-Jazeera, which was probably founded and supported off of oil money by the oil rich nation of Qatar. Lol.

He supposedly earned 100million in the deal. AJ paid 500 million for Current TV, which has relatively few viewers and probably isn't worth that price tag, but AJ paid it I assume to get into US TV.

"which was probably founded and supported off of oil money"  I really like this.  You freely admit you don't know, yet make a judgement.  Now that's funny.
A-J was founded by an oil rich nation, so yeah, I'm sure that had something to do with it. Not too hard to figure out but I wasn't trying to be so snarky about it.

I'm neutral on Al Jazeera. They're going to do the news that appeals to their viewers, and that will vary depending if it's a Mid East or US or other news audience. Yeah, they've annoyed us in the West/US sometimes but hey, what news agency doesn't annoy at times.

CountDeMoney

Quote from: derspiess on January 11, 2013, 01:56:08 PM
Quote from: CountDeMoney on January 11, 2013, 01:50:45 PM

He's an Irish Catholic, so he's your guy.  No ties to him myself.

Pfft, Ed Schultz would beat him to death with a brat.

derspiess

Quote from: CountDeMoney on January 11, 2013, 01:59:07 PM
Pfft, Ed Schultz would beat him to death with a brat.

...then die of a heart attack.  And we'd all win.