News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Are you a statist?

Started by derspiess, January 10, 2013, 11:49:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

In economic terms, do you consider yourself a statist?

Yes
16 (47.1%)
No
18 (52.9%)

Total Members Voted: 34

Valmy

I am not answering because I am not sure what he means.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

viper37

Quote from: Grey Fox on January 10, 2013, 11:59:05 AM
Bueller, I am going to need a full explanation.
Ah, well.  I thought I found one, but Wikipedia gives a definition that goes from US style economy with Fanny Mae and Freddy Mac to full blown communist countries.

QuoteEconomic statism

Economic statism promotes the view that the state has a major and legitimate role in directing the economy, either directly through state-owned enterprises and other types of machinery of government, or indirectly through economic planning.[17]

The french Wiki page is better than the english one (a rare occurence), which is way too politically aligned toward the Tea Party.

So by this definition, no, I do not believe tha the state has a major and legitimate role in directing the economy.  Political decisions are often aimed at short term interests to please specific lobbies that will swing public opinion toward the party for the next election.  A prime example in Quebec and Canada is the shower of money right before an election, where a  government will announce lots of grants or public projects of dubious economic value, or the infamous "pork barrel" of the United States.

We, unfortunately, need a State.  Just like we water.  However, too much water is good.  Hence, too much state is not good.
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

Grinning_Colossus

Wow, English Wiki's definition is bizarre

Quotethe belief that a government should control either economic or social policy

Wouldn't a government be in control of its economic and social policy by default?
Quis futuit ipsos fututores?

MadImmortalMan

I guess they mean if it's not statist, there would be no policy?
"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers

Sheilbh

Let's bomb Russia!

Razgovory

Great poll Derspeiss, nobody is certain what you were getting at.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

CountDeMoney

derspiess

Sorry for thinking you guys were familiar with the term.

Never mind then, the sheesh...
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Ed Anger

Quote from: CountDeMoney on January 10, 2013, 06:54:29 PM
Yes, I am a sadist.

Yes, I'm a satanist. A fan of Miroslav Satan.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Razgovory

Quote from: derspiess on January 10, 2013, 06:55:38 PM

It's kinda vague.  I just it's some dichotomy that libertarians go on about.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

sbr

I'm pretty good internet friends with a Finnish statistician.

DGuller

Quote from: derspiess on January 10, 2013, 06:55:38 PM

Problem is that it's not a term, it's an insult whose definition adapts to the person you're disagreeing with.

Sheilbh

Quote from: derspiess on January 10, 2013, 12:53:12 PM
However you define it yourself.
For me it's further than France, approaching Eastern Bloc level state involvement.
Let's bomb Russia!

dps

That wiki article says it's the opposite of anarchist, so I guess by that definition we're all statists.  Nobody here AFAIK is such an extreme libertarian that they approach anarchism.  I guess the closest we've had to that was KAP, and even he didn't go quite that far, nor has he posted on Languish for what, 4 years or more?

Neil

Quote from: Sheilbh on January 10, 2013, 07:40:24 PM
Quote from: derspiess on January 10, 2013, 12:53:12 PM
However you define it yourself.
For me it's further than France, approaching Eastern Bloc level state involvement.
I don't think that it's a precise term.  Statism is a broad term that supports government intervention.   Statism is civilization as opposed to anarchy or feudalism.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.