Marty's Attention Whoring Thread! - Should I feel snubbed?

Started by Martinus, January 10, 2013, 07:13:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Monoriu

I don't understand why so many people bring spouses or significant others along in business/state occasions. 

Jaron

If they are attractive, charming or successful they are a chance to increase your prestige in the eyes of your peers. If not, well, it is basically a mercy - a chance for you to show off to your spouse the respect and dignity of your employment.
Winner of THE grumbler point.

Eddie Teach

There were a set number of seats available, right? So your boss had 2 openings and chose her own SO (duh) and your colleague's husband over your boyfriend.

Is this boyfriend the one named Dawid? Or have you moved on to a Wincent, Oliwer or Harwey?
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Jaron

Winner of THE grumbler point.

Martinus

Quote from: Peter Wiggin on January 10, 2013, 09:44:36 PM
There were a set number of seats available, right? So your boss had 2 openings and chose her own SO (duh) and your colleague's husband over your boyfriend.

Is this boyfriend the one named Dawid? Or have you moved on to a Wincent, Oliwer or Harwey?

No, it was not about having a number of openings, considering she is bringing a friend of hers.  :rolleyes:

Martinus

Eddie Teach

Quote from: Martinus on January 11, 2013, 01:42:05 AM
Quote from: Peter Wiggin on January 10, 2013, 09:44:36 PM

No, it was not about having a number of openings, considering she is bringing a friend of hers.  :rolleyes:

Ok you just don't rate. Bummer.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Tamas

Brazen

They probably just feel uncomfortable asking. I wouldn't over analyse it and just ask "Are partners invited?"

Unless you have a significantly more stable relationship that you've mentioned on here before, I'm guessing you wouldn't invite him anyway.

Martinus

Actually, I would consider inviting him. We are already at the stage of being invited to my friends' parties and events together (all my chick friends seem to love him  :hmm: ).

Tamas

I really don't see why it worth to risk hurting client relations.

Yes, clients who would be negatively affected by this are assholes, but you might need a reality check here. Here it goes: you live in Poland.

CountDeMoney

Brazen

As an aside, I wouldn't invite a partner to a work event even if it were an option. It's a recipe for boredom, resentment, and sleeve-tugging entreating to leave early. Or amusingly inappropriate drunkenness and embarrassing anecdotes about your out-of-work behaviour.

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Brazen on January 11, 2013, 08:06:21 AM
As an aside, I wouldn't invite a partner to a work event even if it were an option. It's a recipe for boredom, resentment, and sleeve-tugging entreating to leave early. Or amusingly inappropriate drunkenness and embarrassing anecdotes about your out-of-work behaviour.

Amen.  Keep work and play separated as much as possible.  Your sanity will appreciate it.

You are so smart, girl.  Why haven't you been snatched up yet?

Richard Hakluyt

Quote from: Brazen on January 11, 2013, 08:06:21 AM

Exactly. Utterly boring unless one gets pissed and causes trouble.