Should police seduce witnesses and/or suspects?

Started by Martinus, January 08, 2013, 09:27:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Martinus

Not talking about international espionnage, but undercover law enforcement officers - should seduction of potential suspects and witnesses be within their standard information collection repertoire or should it be considered a step too far?

Why? Why not?

Malthus

CdM's take on this important subject should be informative.  ;)
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

Syt

Ok, Marty, what have you gotten yourself into this time?
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Syt on January 08, 2013, 09:58:17 AM
Ok, Marty, what have you gotten yourself into this time?

No kidding, is this one of your "I'll-ask-a-loaded-question-then-surprise-look-at-me" threads again?

PDH

I figured this was on its way to a foot-worship ending.
I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.
-Umberto Eco

-------
"I'm pretty sure my level of depression has nothing to do with how much of a fucking asshole you are."

-CdM

Barrister

Yeah Marti - I'd be happy to discuss what I think the answer is, but I need to know what the context is that causes you to ask the question.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Brazen

HVC

Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

Valmy

Quote from: Brazen on January 08, 2013, 11:20:21 AM
British police officers have a green light to start relationships with suspects if it helps them avoid being found out:
http://www.standard.co.uk/news/crime/undercover-cops-can-start-affairs--to-stop-crooks-from-using-sex-to-expose-them-7848345.html

But not to spy on them:
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-19784802

The UK has secret cameras all over the place to do the spying.  No need to make people feel violated or anything.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Barrister

Quote from: Valmy on January 08, 2013, 11:44:00 AM
Quote from: Brazen on January 08, 2013, 11:20:21 AM
British police officers have a green light to start relationships with suspects if it helps them avoid being found out:
http://www.standard.co.uk/news/crime/undercover-cops-can-start-affairs--to-stop-crooks-from-using-sex-to-expose-them-7848345.html

But not to spy on them:
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-19784802

The UK has secret cameras all over the place to do the spying.  No need to make people feel violated or anything.

Those cameras aren't all that secret, and are all located in public places.

Brazen

Quote from: HVC on January 08, 2013, 11:38:54 AM
Brazen, can they also use drugs?
I understand it's frowned upon but allowable if not to do so would break cover.

Barrister

My understanding is there are few, if any absolute bans on what undercover police can do, though there are numerous urban myths.  Everything from "touch my boob to prove you're not a cop" to "smoke these drugs with me to prove you're not a cop" and "help me out on this B&E to prove you're not a cop".

Everything depends on context as well - if whatever the suspect activity was initiated solely by the undercover agent it will be viewed entirely differently then if it was initiated by the criminals and police involvement was peripheral.

So to go to the original question: police specifically going out with the intention to "seduce" a suspect is going to be frowned on, whereas if there is some sexual contact that is more incidental to the undercover work it will probably be fine.

Now this is all in a criminal justice context - if you're dealing with espionage and national security doubtlessly the rules are different.

CountDeMoney

I never did any of that stuff on the force.  Too many potential issues.

Now, I did bang a couple angry wife clients as a PI, and accepted various "alternative payment plans" as a bail bondsman.   :whistle: :goodboy:

Martinus

Well, it's an offshoot of the doctor bribery case - an undercover cop was having a relationship with a nurse so she can smuggle documents from the hospital to him.

Razgovory

Quote from: Barrister on January 08, 2013, 12:11:39 PM
My understanding is there are few, if any absolute bans on what undercover police can do, though there are numerous urban myths.  Everything from "touch my boob to prove you're not a cop"

Why does this never happen to me?
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017