News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

What kind of tourist are you?

Started by Martinus, January 08, 2013, 05:32:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

What kind of tourist are you?

When I'm on a trip, I'd rather go sight-seeing than sit and talk with other people
18 (56.3%)
When I'm on a trip, I'd rather sit and talk with interesting people than go sight-seeing
7 (21.9%)
I rarely if ever go out of my basement (Raz option)
7 (21.9%)

Total Members Voted: 32

Martinus

Inspired by garbon's thread.

Of course, I am asking more about a general preference/tendency than one choice to the complete exclusion of the other.

Tamas

The Languish Meet way, ie. death marching with occasional heavy drinking brakes appear to be best!

Martinus

Quote from: Tamas on January 08, 2013, 05:34:06 AM
The Languish Meet way, ie. death marching with occasional heavy drinking brakes appear to be best!

Yeah but I would say this fits in the "prefer talking to people" category. Why did you vote for something else? :P

Richard Hakluyt

One of the problems with modern tourism is that the premier league attractions are often so busy that they are a bit of a nightmare. My last trip to Versailles, for example, I saw the queue and promptly got on the train back to Paris and did something else. On the other hand, there are so many interesting places that barely make it on to the tourist maps, so sightseeing can still be a lot of fun.

I voted that I preferred the second option though, eating and drinking, especially with the locals (can be a lot of fun if one is off the beaten track). Apart from anything else I find 2-3 hours of sightseeing quite enough for one day.

Boat trips are especially good of course. You get to combine sightseeing with food and drink, plus the other passengers are there and usually up for a drink and a chat.

Josquius

Totally site seeing.
Though often not so much the famous sites as just the ambience of a cool place in general.
██████
██████
██████

Maladict

Quote from: Richard Hakluyt on January 08, 2013, 06:08:05 AM
One of the problems with modern tourism is that the premier league attractions are often so busy that they are a bit of a nightmare. My last trip to Versailles, for example, I saw the queue and promptly got on the train back to Paris and did something else. On the other hand, there are so many interesting places that barely make it on to the tourist maps, so sightseeing can still be a lot of fun.

I find preparation and pace is everything. 
Don't take a lap through Notre Dame in twenty minutes but spend three of four hours there and the rushing crowds just melt away, you'll barely notice them because they're no longer in your way. Also, read up thoroughly and bring some books along and you'll be seeing things the hundreds of people around you won't.

Brazen

Quote from: Martinus on January 08, 2013, 05:44:10 AM

Yeah but I would say this fits in the "prefer talking to people" category. Why did you vote for something else? :P
It's an even mixture of options 1 and 2 so I can't vote. Arguing the toss over real ale is all very well, but if I've hauled ass all the way to Paris I'd better see the Eiffel Tower and be mistaken for a Finn or I could have cracked open a bottle of Shiraz in my living room and stirred up a straw man in Languish instead.

Tamas

Quote from: Martinus on January 08, 2013, 05:44:10 AM

I haven't voted :P

mongers

Null vote, traveller, it's the getting there that counts.
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

C.C.R.

Raz Option, insert "garage" for "basement."

:ccr

Grey Fox

The other day I went to Ikea. I bought 6 shelves kit all without talking or making eye contact with any human being. A very successful trip.

What do you think I like to do?
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

garbon

Sorry these poll options suck. I like doing both in equal parts.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Liep

Quote from: garbon on January 08, 2013, 09:30:20 AM
This.

And depends on the length too, how long is a trip? On longer vacation I tend to relax more and meet people, whereas on shorter stays I usually go for sightseeing.
"Af alle latterlige Ting forekommer det mig at være det allerlatterligste at have travlt" - Kierkegaard

"JamenajmenømahrmDÆ!DÆ! Æhvnårvaæhvadlelæh! Hvor er det crazy, det her, mand!" - Uffe Elbæk

merithyn

Quote from: garbon on January 08, 2013, 09:30:20 AM

Agreed.
Yesterday, upon the stair,
I met a man who wasn't there
He wasn't there again today
I wish, I wish he'd go away...

Valmy

Generally there are so many things I want to see and do that more than fills up my day...that and when I am on vacation I tend to stay out late and sleep late.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."