News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

I hate stupid conservatives

Started by Hansmeister, May 18, 2009, 10:42:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hansmeister

Today I was having lunch at the John locke Foundation (where I gave a speech three weeks ago), when I got into a heated argument with three older gentlemen about the Obama birth certificate issue.  It is of course a retarded argument since he is obviously eligible for President no matter where he was borne because of his american mother, the sort of conspiracy nutjob argument that merely distracts from real arguments that exposes the speakers as members of the  :tinfoil: hat brigade.

Sad thing was, one of the people I was arguing the finer points of Constitutional law and Federal law with was a state appelate court judge.

Caliga

That whole line of thinking annoys me for reasons way beyond the supposed technicalities of eligibility.  I mean, John McCain was born in the Panama Canal zone, so shouldn't the same nuts be arguing he also should have been ineligible for the Presidency?

Anyway, the prohibition on naturalized citizens being President is archaic and should be removed via constitutional amendment.
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

Syt

Quote from: Hansmeister on May 18, 2009, 10:42:16 PM
Sad thing was, one of the people I was arguing the finer points of Constitutional law and Federal law with was a state appelate court judge.

Wow, you're sooo cool.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

DisturbedPervert

Quote from: Caliga on May 19, 2009, 05:20:16 AMI mean, John McCain was born in the Panama Canal zone, so shouldn't the same nuts be arguing he also should have been ineligible for the Presidency?

There were people arguing that he wasn't eligible.

Josquius

*tempted to point out redundancy in the title*
██████
██████
██████

Ed Anger

Quote from: Caliga on May 19, 2009, 05:20:16 AM

Anyway, the prohibition on naturalized citizens being President is archaic and should be removed via constitutional amendment.

Native born citizens are cooler and superior.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Siege

Do you really want a cyberdine model T-101 as our President?

"All men are created equal, then some become infantry."

"Those who beat their swords into plowshares will plow for those who don't."

"Laissez faire et laissez passer, le monde va de lui même!"

The Minsky Moment

We lefties have Naomi Klein, Kos, and even worse. 

Friendly fire is a bitch.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

derspiess

Hell no.  We have plenty of natural born idiots who can fill that role, without having to import them.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

PDH

I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.
-Umberto Eco

-------
"I'm pretty sure my level of depression has nothing to do with how much of a fucking asshole you are."

-CdM

Valmy

Quote from: derspiess on May 19, 2009, 10:15:33 AM
Hell no.  We have plenty of natural born idiots who can fill that role, without having to import them.

What if our favorite idiot is not a natural born citizen?  I guess I do not understand the purpose of that qualification.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

derspiess

Quote from: Valmy on May 19, 2009, 11:39:28 AM
What if our favorite idiot is not a natural born citizen?  I guess I do not understand the purpose of that qualification.

National security.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

The Brain

LOL they argue about his birthplace? What about his fucking birthrace?
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Valmy

Quote from: derspiess on May 19, 2009, 11:46:00 AM
National security.

If we trust somebody enough to make them a citizen and give them an extensive political career that would enable them to run for President that horse if probably way out of the barn.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Eddie Teach

Quote from: Valmy on May 19, 2009, 11:39:28 AM
I guess I do not understand the purpose of that qualification.

"President Arnold Schwarzenegger" isn't enough reason for you?  :huh:
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?