Question to Brits: which world war was a bigger trauma?

Started by Martinus, January 05, 2013, 01:21:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Valmy

Quote from: Admiral Yi on January 08, 2013, 01:08:18 PM
Did the three partitioning powers all draft Poles into their armies?

Yes.

Austria went one further and recruited a volunteer 'Kingdom of Poland' army as well: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Polish_Legions_in_World_War_I
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

grumbler

Quote from: Valmy on January 08, 2013, 01:05:43 PM
Yeah it was not bordering genocide or anything but I was not aware losses on that scale were not even considered signficant.
In part, that is just passive voice biting you in the ass, as it usually does.  Significance is in the eye of the beholder.  The beholder in this case is the post-WW2 Pole.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

grumbler

Quote from: jimmy olsen on January 08, 2013, 10:32:15 AM

How big was the population of Poland at the time? 30 millionish?

620k is 2%, that would be normally a devastating loss, but compared to what happened to Poland in World War Two I can see how it would considered paltry.

Poland had a pop over 30 million, but probably only 20-22 million were actually poles.  620k is probably closer to 3% than 2% of the actual Poles.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Valmy

Quote from: grumbler on January 08, 2013, 01:47:01 PM
In part, that is just passive voice biting you in the ass, as it usually does.  Significance is in the eye of the beholder.  The beholder in this case is the post-WW2 Pole.

I just thought his statement meant he was ignorant of what actually happened in WWI in Poland rather than actually claiming hundreds of thousands was not not significant.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Neil

The really traumatic thing about the Great War is that the clash of battlefleets didn't produce a decisive result.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

Razgovory

Quote from: grumbler on January 08, 2013, 01:51:18 PM
Quote from: jimmy olsen on January 08, 2013, 10:32:15 AM

How big was the population of Poland at the time? 30 millionish?

620k is 2%, that would be normally a devastating loss, but compared to what happened to Poland in World War Two I can see how it would considered paltry.

Poland had a pop over 30 million, but probably only 20-22 million were actually poles.  620k is probably closer to 3% than 2% of the actual Poles.

Yes but your number only takes into consideration people who were living in boundaries of modern Poland, not what Poland was in 1919.  If anything the number would fall even heavier on ethnic Poles since the larger borders of the Republic of Poland contained large numbers of Ukrainians, Lithuanians and Belorussians.

Just goes to show you, don't side with Marty.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

grumbler

Quote from: Valmy on January 08, 2013, 01:53:24 PM
I just thought his statement meant he was ignorant of what actually happened in WWI in Poland rather than actually claiming hundreds of thousands was not not significant.
:huh:  People are ignorant of most insignificant things.  There is no disconnect between being ignorant of something and it not being significant; in general, there is a direct correlation.

Bayraktar!

Valmy

Quote from: grumbler on January 08, 2013, 04:23:47 PM
Quote from: Valmy on January 08, 2013, 01:53:24 PM
:huh:  People are ignorant of most insignificant things.  There is no disconnect between being ignorant of something and it not being significant; in general, there is a direct correlation.

I thought I was being pretty clear there.  I was trying to I don't think he meant that he just didn't care personally (or even that Poles in general don't care) about the number of people killed.  Rather that I thought he was under the mistaken impression that the number of Poles who died was a great deal smaller than what actually occured.  I get that the war does not resonate very much in modern Poland though, I would be surprised if it did after WWII.

grumbler

Quote from: Valmy on January 08, 2013, 05:21:58 PM
I thought I was being pretty clear there.  I was trying to I don't think he meant that he just didn't care personally (or even that Poles in general don't care) about the number of people killed.  Rather that I thought he was under the mistaken impression that the number of Poles who died was a great deal smaller than what actually occured.  I get that the war does not resonate very much in modern Poland though, I would be surprised if it did after WWII. 

I understand what you are saying, but am simply pointing out that what is significant is highly conditional, and that marti saying that the losses of WW1 are not significant says nothing about whether it should be significant, which is where I think your "under the mistaken impression that the number of Poles who died was a great deal smaller than what actually occured" comment leads. If those losses don't register as "significant" today, then they probably weren't "traumatic" (to go back to the language of the original idea).

Bayraktar!

garbon

"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

PJL

Once again a topic gets hijacked by the pedantic semantic crowd...

sbr

PJL

grumbler

Quote from: PJL on January 08, 2013, 07:11:12 PM
Once again a topic gets hijacked by the pedantic semantic crowd... 

Once again, the peanut gallery shows why it adds no value to a conversation by whining...

Bayraktar!

Richard Hakluyt

I'm with grumbler on this one. The original question asked "which world war was the bigger trauma", it is not really about facts but a country's state of mind. Poland regained its independence in WW1 so the national memory converts it into a triumph rather than a tragedy; also, given that WW2 was so much worse for them, most tragic elements in their WW1 story will have been expunged by the far greater and later tragedy.