Quote from: 11B4V on January 05, 2013, 06:08:24 PM
Quote from: Razgovory on January 05, 2013, 08:39:37 AM
Quote from: 11B4V on January 04, 2013, 08:57:00 PM
He wont make it.

If he won't who will?

Good picks IMO
MCCHRYSTAL
FRANKS

Uh, no.  Traditionally they don't allow Generals to be Sec of Def.  Besides, Franks wouldn't want it and Obama already fired McChrystal.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Sheilbh

Quote from: Jacob on January 04, 2013, 06:36:37 PM
Is that good, bad, meh? Why?
Good. He's been working for Obama on intelligence for the past four years and has been highly praised for it. He's an old fashioned moderately realist Republican. I think he should do well managing the withdrawal from Afghanistan and the cuts which are coming. Because of all that I also think he'll be key in deciding whether to attack Iran. If he supports it I think it would be more or less inevitable.

And he'll be approved. I believe that since the 70s Weinberger and Gates were the most contested SoD nominees (they both received 2 votes against). I fear that that convention could be about to go though and that the Republicans could start making cabinet nominees wars of attrition like lower down appointees or judges :(
Let's bomb Russia!

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Sheilbh on January 08, 2013, 06:49:07 PM
And he'll be approved. I believe that since the 70s Weinberger and Gates were the most contested SoD nominees (they both received 2 votes against). I fear that that convention could be about to go though and that the Republicans could start making cabinet nominees wars of attrition like lower down appointees or judges :(

This is a whole different age, Shiv.  They're going to contest it all they way, and it will be ugly.  All because he's Obama's pick.

Obama could appoint Dick Cheney, and they'd still try to find a way to shoot it down.   Anything to cockblock the President.

garbon

Quote from: CountDeMoney on January 08, 2013, 09:30:44 PM

This is a whole different age, Shiv.  They're going to contest it all they way, and it will be ugly.  All because he's Obama's pick.

Obama could appoint Dick Cheney, and they'd still try to find a way to shoot it down.   Anything to cockblock the President.

As I said before - the Dems knew this going in, so they should have gone for a different presidential nominee. ^_^
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

DGuller

Quote from: garbon on January 08, 2013, 09:50:59 PM
As I said before - the Dems knew this going in, so they should have gone for a different presidential nominee. ^_^
The only Dem nominee that would avoid this problem would be Mitt Romney.

Eddie Teach

If the Dems nominated Romney, the GOP would suddenly all be Santorum supporters.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Razgovory

Quote from: garbon on January 08, 2013, 09:50:59 PM

Yeah, cause they were so nice to Hillary.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Admiral Yi

:yes: Like they're doing with Lurch.

DGuller

Quote from: Admiral Yi on January 09, 2013, 09:12:17 AM

:yes: Like they're doing with Lurch.
In case of Lurch, I'm sure that Republicans are not thinking about Brown's chances of getting back a Senate seat.  Not at all. :whistle:

Admiral Yi

Quote from: DGuller on January 09, 2013, 09:15:30 AM
In case of Lurch, I'm sure that Republicans are not thinking about Brown's chances of getting back a Senate seat.  Not at all. :whistle:

OK.  But other than that they're going to cockblock every single nomination.  Because they're Obama's picks.  :)

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Admiral Yi on January 09, 2013, 09:47:40 AM
Quote from: DGuller on January 09, 2013, 09:15:30 AM

OK.  But other than that they're going to cockblock every single nomination.  Because they're Obama's picks.  :)

Didn't say every pick*.  Just the ones they really, really care about.   Like this one.

*That doesn't involve a black female.

Admiral Yi

My bad.  I misunderstood the part where you said they were cockblocking him because he was Obama's pick.  You know, in the same way that every nomination is Obama's pick.

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Admiral Yi on January 09, 2013, 01:26:38 PM
My bad.  I misunderstood the part where you said they were cockblocking him because he was Obama's pick.  You know, in the same way that every nomination is Obama's pick.

Are you going to say they're not going to?

Admiral Yi

Quote from: CountDeMoney on January 09, 2013, 01:27:59 PM
Are you going to say they're not going to?

I'm saying they're not going to cockblock every one of Obama's picks.

I think Nagel will get confirmed.  He'll go into his hearing, he'll profess undying love for Israel, swear that he hates the Ayatollah and Hamas and Hezbollah with every fiber of his being, and a couple of senators will vote against.  Enough senators have gone on record saying they have "serious questions they would like answered at the hearing" that Hagel just has to mouth the right words and he's in.

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Admiral Yi on January 09, 2013, 01:32:52 PM
I think Nagel will get confirmed.  He'll go into his hearing, he'll profess undying love for Israel, swear that he hates the Ayatollah and Hamas and Hezbollah with every fiber of his being, and a couple of senators will vote against.  Enough senators have gone on record saying they have "serious questions they would like answered at the hearing" that Hagel just has to mouth the right words and he's in.

What's the over/under going to be?