News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Neanderthals eaten by Syt's ancestors?

Started by BuddhaRhubarb, May 18, 2009, 08:58:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ed Anger

Neandertals eaten by the Galactica's crew.

:whistle:
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

KRonn

Quote from: Ed Anger on May 19, 2009, 09:14:57 AM
Neandertals eaten by the Galactica's crew.

:whistle:
Mystery solved... Hmm... the Galatica crew did see primitive humans when they landed.   :unsure:

PDH

Quote from: Tyr on May 19, 2009, 07:30:32 AM
How many sets of Neanderthal bones have been found? A lot I think...and no butchering until now.
Actually, a fair number of Neanderthal bones show typical marks of removal of flesh from the bones.  A good reason for doing this is to prepare the meat for cooking, and the marks seem consistant with game bones so treated.
I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.
-Umberto Eco

-------
"I'm pretty sure my level of depression has nothing to do with how much of a fucking asshole you are."

-CdM

PDH

Also, for the "how did Neanderthals die out?" people, remember that the the time span is long here, not decades, not centuries, but thousands and thousands of years to decline and disappear...
I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.
-Umberto Eco

-------
"I'm pretty sure my level of depression has nothing to do with how much of a fucking asshole you are."

-CdM

Josquius

Quote from: PDH on May 19, 2009, 09:39:16 AM
How many sets of Neanderthal bones have been found? A lot I think...and no butchering until now.
Actually, a fair number of Neanderthal bones show typical marks of removal of flesh from the bones.  A good reason for doing this is to prepare the meat for cooking, and the marks seem consistant with game bones so treated.
I have read in the past theoriest about Neanderthal's preparing their dead in this way. But why is this the first we hear of humasn eating them?
██████
██████
██████

PDH

Quote from: Tyr on May 19, 2009, 09:42:48 AM
I have read in the past theoriest about Neanderthal's preparing their dead in this way. But why is this the first we hear of humasn eating them?
There seems little reason to deflesh a corpse, especially when very little other ritual activity takes place among Neanderthals (and yes, the "burials" are still contended mightily, do not let one side or the other fool you), unless it is to use the flesh for some practical purpose.  The marks are very much (exactly, perhaps) the same as used to butcher game.
-Umberto Eco

-------

-CdM

The Minsky Moment

Quote from: Malthus on May 19, 2009, 08:25:59 AM
My own opinion is that the extinction was a very gradual process, rather than some violent campaign of "ethnic [or species] cleansing".

Whatever they were, Neanderthals were apex predators: evidence suggests they were more or less exclusively carnivorous. Apex predators are usually very vulnerable to ecosystem changes.

Maybe, but Neathanderals lasted for a very, very long time.  They appear to have been quite adaptable and able to thrive under very difficult environmental conditions.

Until we know one way or another whether they could breed with HSS, it's all just speculation.  If they could interbreed, I think we have our answer.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

Malthus

Quote from: The Minsky Moment on May 19, 2009, 10:02:31 AM
Quote from: Malthus on May 19, 2009, 08:25:59 AM
My own opinion is that the extinction was a very gradual process, rather than some violent campaign of "ethnic [or species] cleansing".

Whatever they were, Neanderthals were apex predators: evidence suggests they were more or less exclusively carnivorous. Apex predators are usually very vulnerable to ecosystem changes.

Maybe, but Neathanderals lasted for a very, very long time.  They appear to have been quite adaptable and able to thrive under very difficult environmental conditions.

Until we know one way or another whether they could breed with HSS, it's all just speculation.  If they could interbreed, I think we have our answer.

Certainly. Recent evidence on DNA tends to suggest that they did not interbreed, but it isn't conclusive.

In any event, my theory is not of a sudden disappearance, but of a very gradual displacement. Even a small difference in birth and death rates would, over millennia, account for the disappearance quite easily.
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

Siege

Quote from: Tyr on May 19, 2009, 09:42:48 AM

Yeah, exactly.

And even if somebody was eating them, why did it have to be humans?
Maybe eating the flesh of their own dead was part of the Neanderthal burial ritual.

"All men are created equal, then some become infantry."

"Those who beat their swords into plowshares will plow for those who don't."

"Laissez faire et laissez passer, le monde va de lui même!"

PDH

Quote from: Siege on May 19, 2009, 11:34:27 AM
Yeah, exactly.

And even if somebody was eating them, why did it have to be humans?
Maybe eating the flesh of their own dead was part of the Neanderthal burial ritual.
maybe they threw the flesh down the wells of the H. sapien sapiens.
-Umberto Eco

-------

-CdM

Siege

Quote from: viper37 on May 19, 2009, 08:54:22 AM
Besides, aren't you some kind of creationist?  Doesn't it contradict the Torah or some old book that there was a humanoïd species not totally human before we appeared?

Of course I don't believe in any of this non-sense, the same way I don't believe in Aliens.
However, in both cases I found it to be very interesting.

"All men are created equal, then some become infantry."

"Those who beat their swords into plowshares will plow for those who don't."

"Laissez faire et laissez passer, le monde va de lui même!"

Valmy

Quote from: Siege on May 19, 2009, 11:38:59 AM
Of course I don't believe in any of this non-sense, the same way I don't believe in Aliens.

Except we do not dig up bones of aliens or have aliens swinging from trees all over the world :P
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

viper37

Quote from: Malthus on May 19, 2009, 08:56:34 AM
The local Algonkians where my family now has a cottage, for example, had traditional lakes and rivers which were the "property" of individual families for purposes of hunting, worked out over generations).
Small nitpick: Algonkians refer to the language family.

Algonquian tribes range from the Yurok in California to  the Powhatans in Virginia, from the  Cheyennes in the Great Plains to the  Naskapi Innu in frigid northern Labrador. Obviously, the Naskapi couldn't keep warm wearing grass skirts like the Yurok, and the buffalo-hunting culture of the Cheyennes would have been useless to the Powhatans (no buffalo roamed the forests of Virginia!) Making generalizations about "Algonquian Indians" is difficult at best.

most likely, they were Montagnais/Innus or Cree (closer to Hudson&James Bay), depending on where your cottage is.  My bet would be on the Montagnais.
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

The Brain

Women want me. Men want to be with me.

viper37

but where they hunted for their meat or were they killed in war, then eaten?
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.