News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Why didn't Sherman attack North Carolina?

Started by chipwich, December 29, 2012, 08:00:59 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

chipwich

Why was Georgia chosen as the place to attack? Sherman/Grant had the choice of any Confederate state after securing Tennessee, and North Carolina stands out for two reasons.

1. Attacking NC would have put much more stress on Lee and a possible linkup with the Army of the Potomac

2. North Carolina was more important to the Confederacy, supplying more troops than any other state while Georgia's governor was uncooperative and ordered it's resources to stay in Georgia, effectively "sleeping" Georgia's army.

Syt

Because of the entrenched giant ants of Brest-Litovsk there.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

jimmy olsen

Quote from: chipwich on December 29, 2012, 08:00:59 AM
Why was Georgia chosen as the place to attack? Sherman/Grant had the choice of any Confederate state after securing Tennessee, and North Carolina stands out for two reasons.

1. Attacking NC would have put much more stress on Lee and a possible linkup with the Army of the Potomac

2. North Carolina was more important to the Confederacy, supplying more troops than any other state while Georgia's governor was uncooperative and ordered it's resources to stay in Georgia, effectively "sleeping" Georgia's army.
This wasn't Virginia? :huh:
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Razgovory

I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

chipwich

Quote from: jimmy olsen on December 29, 2012, 08:24:45 AM
Quote from: chipwich on December 29, 2012, 08:00:59 AM

This wasn't Virginia? :huh:

Nope.

Caliga

Because he was in a better position to attack Georgia from where he started, and it was the fastest route to the ocean from where he was starting, allowing him to sever the trans-Confederacy rail lines in the fastest manner.... I think  :hmm:
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Razgovory on December 29, 2012, 08:31:31 AM
I thought he did. :huh:

:lol: 

He crossed Cape Fear and gave Hardee's troops what for, marched on Goldsboro to destroy the rail heads there, and then the war ended.

PDH

Because it didn't matter where he went, he just had to march and split the Confederacy.  The war-making ability of the South by then had run down, the ranks were thinning as soldiers disillusioned and beaten took leave with their feet and headed home, it didn't matter so the best route with a definite end point was chosen.  What the march to the sea did was show all this to the North and the rest of the world, and the Union knew they could do this and not be in danger.  Hell, when drugged up Hood marched his army away it meant that the Union could make the march in grand style while a cobbled together army could later destroy Hood at Nashville.

The was was over by then, it was just time to show everyone, thus Georgia followed by South Carolina.
I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.
-Umberto Eco

-------
"I'm pretty sure my level of depression has nothing to do with how much of a fucking asshole you are."

-CdM

CountDeMoney

Viking

He started at Chatanooga. Burnside and Longstreet were clogging up the Cumberland Gap and Hood was still facing him at Atlanta. Grant's plan had him attacking Hoods Army, Grant's plan had the armies of the confederacy as their objectives not their cities. The Smokey mountains prevented the direct rout.

Sherman had instructions to destroy Hood. Once Hood was destroyed Sherman was at Atlanta. From Atlanta there were two roads east, one down to Savannah the the other to Columbus South Carolina. Marching directly into South Carolina would have been slow and tedious and with supply routs open to attack. With no army facing him he jumped from his supply routs ignored the guerillas and logistics of keeping los open and marched directly on the nearest port.
First Maxim - "There are only two amounts, too few and enough."
First Corollary - "You cannot have too many soldiers, only too few supplies."
Second Maxim - "Be willing to exchange a bad idea for a good one."
Second Corollary - "You can only be wrong or agree with me."

A terrorist which starts a slaughter quoting Locke, Burke and Mill has completely missed the point.
The fact remains that the only person or group to applaud the Norway massacre are random Islamists.

mongers

He had to do something dramatic, his ratings were tanking ?

I'll get my coat.  :blush:
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

CountDeMoney

mongers

"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"