Jeremy Clarkson takes the piss out of the Honda Insight

Started by MadImmortalMan, May 18, 2009, 02:38:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

derspiess

Anyway, as much as I am for a clean environment & whatnot, "environmentalism" went too far when it turned into a religion.

http://www.crichton-official.com/speech-environmentalismaseligion.html 
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

garbon

Quote from: derspiess on May 19, 2009, 10:43:13 AM
Anyway, as much as I am for a clean environment & whatnot, "environmentalism" went too far when it turned into a religion.

http://www.crichton-official.com/speech-environmentalismaseligion.html 

A speech about how some people go too far...shock!
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

derspiess

Quote from: garbon on May 19, 2009, 10:45:45 AM
A speech about how some people go too far...shock!

It's an excellent speech.

Now go & fix your state budget :contract:
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

garbon

Quote from: derspiess on May 19, 2009, 11:01:33 AM
Now go & fix your state budget :contract:

I'm supposed to vote today...but I don't think I have time. :weep:
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

KRonn

Quote from: Valmy on May 19, 2009, 10:12:40 AM

They are a good interim solution I agree.  I use them everywhere I have not had a big problem with using them in ceiling fans.  I certainly do not think we should just shut down all R&D on lighting

The mercury issue will only be a big deal in mass dumps of them, which will happen in a junk yard and is a concern for that reason only.  It is not, as some are hysterically pointing out, as if you can poison yourself if you do not handle a broken bulb without a Hazmat suit.
Well, won't this be a problem, as millions of these get into landfills over the decades they're used? As households dispose of them. Not trying to bash anyone; this just seems a logical concern. We aren't supposed to dispose of batteries in landfills due to the materials in them, for instance.

KRonn

Quote from: Valmy on May 19, 2009, 10:20:23 AM

I do not get the hysterical moronic bashing of having sane energy goals.  You brainless idiots are so fucking tiresome.  Yes I know you hate environmentalists, I am proud of you but the only thing this has in common with environmentalism is that supposedly they like it (but they actually don't, envornmentalists have been known to protest everything from wind turbines to nuclear plants).
You answered some of it right there, "envornmentalists have been known to protest everything from wind turbines to nuclear plants". Enviro groups can be quite fanatic about their demands and views, becoming like PETA about meat eating. They do damage to the cause by their over blowing things. That's what I get annoyed about, not about you, me or most of us who do want sane energy goals and workable ideas.

And in that I applaud Pres Obama who is moving the energy debate forward, pushing for action, something sadly lacking for far too long. As we saw during last summer's energy (oil/natural gas) price hikes as we have had no strong energy policy or direction prior to that, despite decades of time to do so. And even after last summer's crunch we barely had  movement in energy policy, though it did seem that things were finally changing some. 

Neil

Quote from: Ed Anger on May 19, 2009, 10:12:13 AM
And I miss the old toilets. Low flow toilets suck.
Nobody actually has low-flow toilets.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

Martinus

Quote from: Slargos on May 19, 2009, 02:28:50 AM
Quote from: Martinus on May 19, 2009, 01:19:15 AM
The actual advantages or disadvantages of this car notwithstanding, I just want to say that the only thing Jeremy Clarkson is fit to do, is to get torn to pieces by a pack of rabid dogs. :)

I'm going to go out on a limb and guess that you have some sort of evidence to indicate he is against faggotry in some fashion?

Perhaps he didn't like that homo cowboy movie? bareback mountain?
Not that I know of. He is just an obscurantist ass, when it comes to clean energy.

Neil

Quote from: Martinus on May 19, 2009, 02:01:25 PM
The actual advantages or disadvantages of this car notwithstanding, I just want to say that the only thing Jeremy Clarkson is fit to do, is to get torn to pieces by a pack of rabid dogs. :)

I'm going to go out on a limb and guess that you have some sort of evidence to indicate he is against faggotry in some fashion?

Not that I know of. He is just an obscurantist ass, when it comes to clean energy.
Yeah, but you don't care about that.  So what's going on?
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

Cecil

Quote from: Neil on May 19, 2009, 02:09:02 PM
Quote from: Martinus on May 19, 2009, 02:01:25 PM

Yeah, but you don't care about that.  So what's going on?

:lol:

crazy canuck

I tried to test drive the Insight but it was too small for me.  My wife test drove it and gave it a thumbs down.

The best Hybrid in terms of responsiveness is surprisingly the Ford product.  But it is really, also surprisingly, expensive compared to its competition.  We are now looking at non hybrid products that have close to hybrid fuel efficiency.

Valmy

Quote from: crazy canuck on May 19, 2009, 02:53:02 PM
But it is really, also surprisingly, expensive compared to its competition.  We are now looking at non hybrid products that have close to hybrid fuel efficiency.

That is probably a good stopgap until we can come up with better energy storage technology to make electric cars actually practical.  Right now the weight of the batteries cancels out the fuel efficiency advantages you get from a hybrid engine it seems.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Ed Anger

I thought the Ford Escape SUV hybrid was fairly comfortable. I wasn't going to pay a 9,000 dollar premium for it though.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

DGuller

Quote from: Valmy on May 19, 2009, 02:56:41 PM
Quote from: crazy canuck on May 19, 2009, 02:53:02 PM
But it is really, also surprisingly, expensive compared to its competition.  We are now looking at non hybrid products that have close to hybrid fuel efficiency.

That is probably a good stopgap until we can come up with better energy storage technology to make electric cars actually practical.  Right now the weight of the batteries cancels out the fuel efficiency advantages you get from a hybrid engine it seems.
Where did you get that idea?  :huh: Even mild hybrids, which really are hybrids in name only, get a somewhat better fuel efficiency.

Valmy

Quote from: DGuller on May 19, 2009, 03:07:17 PM
Where did you get that idea?  :huh: Even mild hybrids, which really are hybrids in name only, get a somewhat better fuel efficiency.

It doesn't totally cancel it out but it is not really that significant in the end.  There are comparable fuel efficiencies from conventional engines.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."