Jeremy Clarkson takes the piss out of the Honda Insight

Started by MadImmortalMan, May 18, 2009, 02:38:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Valmy

QuoteNow, who knows anything about those CFL(sp?) lightbulbs that Congress is mandating we use by 2012 or so? The cork screw shaped ones, made with mercury, and if you break one the damn thing is dangerous to handle and clean up, dispose of? Is this in the name of "green"?

The hysteria over the trace amounts of mercury in CFL bulbs is hilarious and sad.  This is a real change that will have profound effects on our energy use not some "green" fad thing.

What is even more hilarious and sad is that all efforts to get us off of economically and politically dangerous oil and natural gas and increase efficiency and other common sense energy ideas get written off as "green" as if there is no better reason to do these things besides environmentalism.  Idiocy annoys me.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

derspiess

Quote from: DGuller on May 19, 2009, 09:53:09 AM
You may be barking up the wrong tree here.  Incadescent light bulbs are the pinnacle of inefficiency.  They are only 2% efficient compared to 10% efficiency of the CFL lamps.  Considering the amount of energy used just for lighting, those are enormous energy savings.  The mercury threat is overblown, and burning coal to power the vastly inefficient incadescent bulbs releases mercury as well.

The fact remains that due to the mercury (which is a big issue with disposal-- not everybody's gonna do it properly), the CFL lamps are an imperfect solution.  Espec. given the annoyance of having to wait for them to "warm up", lack of durability (don't bother installing them with a ceiling fan).

Don't get me wrong-- I was an early adopter of CFL bulbs, and use them instead of incandescent in most cases.  I just think they're a stop-gap measure at best.  Hopefully, LED light bulbs will be a better solution when they get cheaper.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Valmy

Quote from: DGuller on May 19, 2009, 09:53:09 AM
You may be barking up the wrong tree here.  Incadescent light bulbs are the pinnacle of inefficiency.  They are only 2% efficient compared to 10% efficiency of the CFL lamps.  Considering the amount of energy used just for lighting, those are enormous energy savings.  The mercury threat is overblown, and burning coal to power the vastly inefficient incadescent bulbs releases mercury as well.

Truth!
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Ed Anger

I hate CFL bulbs sickly, yellow light. Which is why I want to shove one up every environmentalist's ass.

And I miss the old toilets. Low flow toilets suck.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Valmy

Quote from: derspiess on May 19, 2009, 10:09:18 AM
The fact remains that due to the mercury (which is a big issue with disposal-- not everybody's gonna do it properly), the CFL lamps are an imperfect solution.  Espec. given the annoyance of having to wait for them to "warm up", lack of durability (don't bother installing them with a ceiling fan).

Don't get me wrong-- I was an early adopter of CFL bulbs, and use them instead of incandescent in most cases.  I just think they're a stop-gap measure at best.  Hopefully, LED light bulbs will be a better solution when they get cheaper.

They are a good interim solution I agree.  I use them everywhere I have not had a big problem with using them in ceiling fans.  I certainly do not think we should just shut down all R&D on lighting

The mercury issue will only be a big deal in mass dumps of them, which will happen in a junk yard and is a concern for that reason only.  It is not, as some are hysterically pointing out, as if you can poison yourself if you do not handle a broken bulb without a Hazmat suit.

Valmy

Ed Anger

Quote from: Valmy on May 19, 2009, 10:13:32 AM
Quote from: Ed Anger on May 19, 2009, 10:12:13 AM
Which is why I want to shove one up every evironmentalist's ass.

:bleeding: Die in a fire.

Bend over first. I have a case of bulbs to shove in.

Ed Anger

Quote from: Valmy on May 19, 2009, 10:15:31 AM
Quote from: Ed Anger on May 19, 2009, 10:14:49 AM

At least slur me as an energy independence dude.  You are the dude who sucks foreigner cock.

I will bend over so long as you find a Saudi to blow.

King Faud is unavailable.

What is also amazing is that by hating sickly CFL bulbs, I am somehow a Saudi apologist. Typical. :P

Valmy

Quote from: Ed Anger on May 19, 2009, 10:14:49 AM

I do not get the hysterical moronic bashing of having sane energy goals.  You brainless idiots are so fucking tiresome.  Yes I know you hate environmentalists, I am proud of you but the only thing this has in common with environmentalism is that supposedly they like it (but they actually don't, envornmentalists have been known to protest everything from wind turbines to nuclear plants).

Valmy

Quote from: Ed Anger on May 19, 2009, 10:17:05 AM
King Faud is unavailable.

What is also amazing is that by hating sickly CFL bulbs, I am somehow a Saudi apologist. Typical. :P

Yes yes you are -_-

Ed Anger

Richard Hakluyt

First one this month and it was Valmy.

Slow hand-clap for senor Monkeybutt  :P

Grey Fox

One downside of the CFL is that they don't produce much heat. Around here, we use that excess heat to not die!
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

derspiess

Quote from: Valmy on May 19, 2009, 10:12:40 AM
They are a good interim solution I agree.  I use them everywhere I have not had a big problem with using them in ceiling fans.  I certainly do not think we should just shut down all R&D on lighting

In my experience, anything that jostles them around tends to severely shorten their lifespan.  May vary from brand to brand, however. 

The "warm up" thing still annoys the crap out of me, which is why I still have an incandescent bulb in my walk-in closet.  I don't want to have to wait around for 8-10 minutes to be able to see, when I only want to be in there for a few seconds.

The mercury issue will only be a big deal in mass dumps of them, which will happen in a junk yard and is a concern for that reason only.  It is not, as some are hysterically pointing out, as if you can poison yourself if you do not handle a broken bulb without a Hazmat suit.

That's my objection.  I hadn't heard any of the hysteria over broken bulbs.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Richard Hakluyt

Quote from: Grey Fox on May 19, 2009, 10:37:49 AM
One downside of the CFL is that they don't produce much heat. Around here, we use that excess heat to not die!

Yes, even in England the excess heat is not wholly wasted as it is quite useful (if an inefficient way of generating heat) for 8 months of the year.

The same goes for the waste heat generated by computers. If the external temperature is 12 C or so, I find that I don't need to heat the house but that the heat given off by my PC is quite useful in taking the edge off.