News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

So, what's your games of the year?

Started by Syt, December 28, 2012, 04:01:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Syt

It's been a pretty good year for PC gaming, I'd say. What's your favorites?

For me, in no particular order:

Crusader Kings 2 - considering how much P'dox was waffling about making a sequel at all (didn't they moan that it wasn't worth, because CK1 hadn't done too well?), it's funny that this is probably their most widely acclaimed game.

X-COM: Enemy Unknown - a re-imagining of the original game for today. Different than the original? Yes? Better? Maybe. At any rate, one game that was intense and kept me glued to the screen.

Guild Wars 2 - an MMO that trims off a lot of the MMO fat (travelling time, crafting tediousness, skill spam, group finding), and instead focuses on the fun bits and tries to deliver as effortlessly as possible.

Honorable mentions:

FTL - managing your starship that's outgunned, on fire, has multiple hull breeches and has intruders on board to stave off the inevitable demise was good fun. And it's been a while since losing was so much fun.

Endless Space - slick design, some imaginative races, and one of the better UIs for a 4x games. Unfortunately I didn't get to spend as much time with it as I'd like to have. (mostly because of the above games)

Giana Sisters - Twisted Dreams - beautifully designed jump'n' run with a big nostalgia factor and absolutely seamless switching between dark/bright level look/layout at the flick of a button.

Spec-Ops: The Line - very conventional shooter with a very unconventional story. Not perfectly done, but a welcome change of pace from the Medal of Duty-Call of Honor: Modern Black War-Ops Fighters.

LEGO Lord of the Rings - only started playing this (picked up for 75% off on Amazon when it was on sale, and probably the most epic of the LEGO games. I was weary of their adding sounds/dialogue from the movies, but it works surprisingly well and makes it even more endearing.

Alea Jacta Est - solid outing from AGEOD, returning to their roots (think Rise of Prussia, Revlution under Siege, Wars in America), only about Roman Civil Wars. Again, not spent as much time with it as I would have liked, but fun.

I didn't get to play Sleeping Dogs or Far Cry 3, though I definitely mean to pick them up once they've gone down in price (sorry, Jake!), because I have my plate quite full.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Phillip V

Martinus

Not counting World of Warcraft, which I played a lot before I completely switched over to Guild Wars 2 (I haven't even tried the panda expansion), I would say about 90% of my gaming time was split between three games:

Crusader Kings 2

Guild Wars 2

Civilization 5 - Gods and Kings

sbr

For me it would have to be Guild Wars 2.  Even though I have lost interest recently I haven't played and enjoyed a game that much in a long time.

Other 2012 games I played:  CK2, FTL, Torchlight 2, Grimrock, Borderlands 2.  Everything other than CK2 was for less than 10 hours, though I hope Borderlands and Torchlight will eventually way surpass that.

Scipio

XCom.  FTL.  Sleeping Dogs.  The Walking Dead.  Spec Ops.  Max Payne 3.  Torchlight II.  Mass Effect 3.  So three sequels, three reboot, and two new projects.

Just bought AssCreed3, so I can't opine on it.  But I am preternaturally biased towards the AssCreed series, so perhaps I will add it to the list.  But if they fuck up the political aspect, I will be wrathful indeed.

What I speak out of my mouth is the truth.  It burns like fire.
-Jose Canseco

There you go, giving a fuck when it ain't your turn to give a fuck.
-Every cop, The Wire

"It is always good to be known for one's Krapp."
-John Hurt

Maximus

Dwarf fortress, for the fifth year running

11B4V

"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".

Razgovory

I wasn't going to get Fortress Italy until they put in the British.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Eddie Teach

Game I've played the most this year: Bloons Tower Defense 5.   :blush:
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Fate

In terms of hours played...
Diablo 3
Mass Effect 3
Crusader Kings 2

MadBurgerMaker

Alcibiades

Dota 2
Eve

Not sure what my third would be, played a ton of games....but none that really captured my attention for more than a couple of days at most.   :(
Wait...  What would you know about masculinity, you fucking faggot?  - Overly Autistic Neil

OTOH, if you think that a Jew actually IS poisoning the wells you should call the cops. IMHO.   - The Brain

Josquius

CK2 and Xcom are probally the only two new releases ive played
██████
██████
██████

Martinus

I'm surprised noone but me mentioned Gods & Kings. With that expansion, Civ 5 is the best Civ game to date.,

The Brain

Maybe because this isn't the expansions of the year thread? Just a thought.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.