News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Endearing anti-gay marriage interview

Started by Sheilbh, December 26, 2012, 09:59:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

garbon

Quote from: Martinus on January 02, 2013, 01:57:03 PM
And obviously it would not be done at the age when you refer to the students as "kids".

Might be a language thing but you could easily still use kids to describe those in middle school / high school.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Razgovory

Quote from: garbon on January 02, 2013, 02:10:26 PM
And obviously it would not be done at the age when you refer to the students as "kids".

Might be a language thing but you could easily still use kids to describe those in middle school / high school.

Fuck, I refer to people as kids if they are younger then 30.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

merithyn

Quote from: Martinus on January 02, 2013, 01:58:36 PM
Quote from: merithyn on January 02, 2013, 01:53:17 PM
Quote from: Martinus on January 02, 2013, 11:20:13 AM
I think a sensible approach would be to say in the sex ed class that there is a thing called sexual orientation based on which people may be sexually attracted to the opposite sex, or to their own sex, or to both, and that each is equally valid and not a deviant/dysfunctional sexual behaviour.
If the sexual ed class at the relevant level covers mechanics of the actual sexual act(s), then you could direct those interested in it, to information (presented with a similar degree of detail) concerning homosexual sex - but do not need to cover it in the compulsory curriculum for all.

So essentially, you would be covering the emotional/relationship side of homosexuality in the class for all students, but have anal male-on-male sex and scissoring as extra-curricular topics. :P

I agree with most of what you say, though I don't believe the bolded part is appropriate.

The point of this is information, not moral judgments in either direction.

Wow. Just wow. It is not a moral judgement - it is the current understanding of human sexuality by psychologists (that is what the term "sexual orientation" means as opposed to a "fetish" or "sexual deviancy").

It's always things like these with you uneducated, ignorant breeders. One thinks you are enlightened, and then you surprise us with something out of the left field like this.

Saying that it's "not a deviant/dysfunctional sexual behaviour" is the current moral belief on the subject at hand, as is any number of other "sexual deviancies" and various interpretations on what constitutes a "mental health problem". It isn't a science. It's a general opinion based on the day's moral codes and understanding of the human mind and body to the best of their ability. I happen to agree with this interpretation, but that doesn't make it any less of a "moral judgment".

Besides which, I do not want a door opened that allows a teacher to offer their interpretation of whether or not sexuality is "right" or "wrong", a "deviancy" or part of the "norm". It's unnecessary. To provide the information in a matter-of-fact format alongside the information for heterosexual relationships MAKES IT NORMATIVE without the phrasing that you added. What you added simply provides those who are dead-set against all of this the foot-hold they need to say, "See???? They're FORCING us to say it's okay, even though we don't believe that it is!! TEH GAYS ARE AGAINST CHRIST!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!"

But then, that's what you want, isn't it?
Yesterday, upon the stair,
I met a man who wasn't there
He wasn't there again today
I wish, I wish he'd go away...

Neil

I am morally judging Martinus.  It's funny how much less he is than pretty much anyone else I've encountered on Languish.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

garbon

Quote from: merithyn on January 02, 2013, 02:18:56 PM
Saying that it's "not a deviant/dysfunctional sexual behaviour" is the current moral belief on the subject at hand, as is any number of other "sexual deviancies" and various interpretations on what constitutes a "mental health problem". It isn't a science. It's a general opinion based on the day's moral codes and understanding of the human mind and body to the best of their ability. I happen to agree with this interpretation, but that doesn't make it any less of a "moral judgment".

Besides which, I do not want a door opened that allows a teacher to offer their interpretation of whether or not sexuality is "right" or "wrong", a "deviancy" or part of the "norm". It's unnecessary. To provide the information in a matter-of-fact format alongside the information for heterosexual relationships MAKES IT NORMATIVE without the phrasing that you added. What you added simply provides those who are dead-set against all of this the foot-hold they need to say, "See???? They're FORCING us to say it's okay, even though we don't believe that it is!! TEH GAYS ARE AGAINST CHRIST!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!"

But then, that's what you want, isn't it?

Doesn't health class inevitably consist of moral judgments given that they are many different perspectives on how one should treat one's bodies?
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

merithyn

Quote from: garbon on January 02, 2013, 03:05:59 PM
Doesn't health class inevitably consist of moral judgments given that they are many different perspectives on how one should treat one's bodies?

How so? I don't remember any moral guidance. Rather, I was told the implications of not doing certain things and doing certain things. As in, if you don't wash, you will smell and others will notice. If you do use a condom, you are less likely to get pregnant or an STD.

Those are facts, not judgments.

garbon

Quote from: merithyn on January 02, 2013, 03:16:34 PM
Quote from: garbon on January 02, 2013, 03:05:59 PM

How so? I don't remember any moral guidance. Rather, I was told the implications of not doing certain things and doing certain things. As in, if you don't wash, you will smell and others will notice. If you do use a condom, you are less likely to get pregnant or an STD.

Those are facts, not judgments.

Well my experience with health classes were very different. Some moralizing:

Anal sex is terrible and dangerous (already mentioned here in discussion with Seedy)
Smoking kills, don't do it.
Drugs are terrible, here's what they can do to you, don't do them.
Rhythm method is a bad form of birth control (which also tacitly suggests that we as teens should be using birth control).

I'm sure there were more but those were the ones that sprung to mind.

Valmy

Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Admiral Yi

Quote from: garbon on January 02, 2013, 04:01:22 PM

Anal sex is terrible and dangerous (already mentioned here in discussion with Seedy)
Rhythm method is a bad form of birth control (which also tacitly suggests that we as teens should be using birth control).

You and Meri seem to be describing the same things, except Meri calls it information and you call it moralizing.  I tend to side with Meri.

garbon

Quote from: Admiral Yi on January 02, 2013, 04:11:29 PM

You and Meri seem to be describing the same things, except Meri calls it information and you call it moralizing.  I tend to side with Meri.

It isn't moralizing when you instruct students specifically not to do certain things - but is moralizing if you say homosexuality is a perfectly acceptable choice? :huh:

merithyn

Anal sex can be dangerous
Smoking kills.
Here's what drugs can do to you.
Rhythm method is a form of birth control that results in XX% of pregnancy rate. The pill is a form of birth control that results in XX% of pregnancy rate. The condom is a form of birth control that results in XX% of pregnancy rate, and prevents STDs.

This is what I was taught.

Martinus

Quote from: Viking on January 02, 2013, 02:10:06 PM
Quote from: Martinus on January 02, 2013, 02:06:36 PM
Quote from: Viking on January 02, 2013, 02:05:08 PM
Quote from: Martinus on January 02, 2013, 02:02:15 PM
Quote from: Peter Wiggin on January 02, 2013, 02:00:59 PM
You are an idiot. I meant directing them to brochures and the like, not to have an extracurricular lesson on gay sex.

But what if they can't read?  :huh:

Gays are more intelligent and educated so they can clearly read.

Is this the point where open expression of hetrophobia leads to somebody being banned and a thread closed.

Why would it be a "phobia"? One clearly is not afraid of one's lessers.  :huh:

Seedy!!! He's being raciss again!!!111oneoneone :cry:

MugglesBreeders are not a race.

merithyn

What he's describing is moralizing while providing information. That's exactly what I think should not be happening in the schools.

Martinus

I hate it that whenever I grow to like merri, she never fails to come up with some absolutely ignorant viewpoint.

Martinus

Quote from: merithyn on January 02, 2013, 04:17:03 PM

What he's describing is moralizing while providing information. That's exactly what I think should not be happening in the schools.
that's like saying that teaching that homosexuality is not a choice is moralizing...