And we're back!

Main Menu

Peter Jackson's Hobbit - The Critique

Started by Martinus, December 25, 2012, 02:37:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Razgovory

Quote from: Admiral Yi on December 30, 2012, 03:39:14 PM
Quote from: Razgovory on December 30, 2012, 03:14:57 PM
The Hobbit lacks Frodo whining through Mordor.

Whining was more Sam's deal.  Frodo's schtick was moaning and spacing out.

Whatever, I just remember those sections of the book really fucking dragged.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Monoriu

I saw it and loved it.  Can't wait for the inevitable extended version. 

When I bought the ticket, I did notice the words "high frame rate".  I didn't know what it meant and I didn't notice any difference  :blush:

Syt

I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Valmy

Quote from: Monoriu on December 30, 2012, 09:23:48 PM
I saw it and loved it.  Can't wait for the inevitable extended version. 

Yeah me to :blush:
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Martinus

Quote from: Ideologue on December 30, 2012, 07:46:06 PMBoy, real sex must be a total bummer, then, huh? :lol:

Sex is a poor substitute for masturbation. :yes:

MadImmortalMan

"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers

Tonitrus

Solmyr

What's with the Radagast hate? I thought he was great, exactly how Radagast would be. Not every wizard is super-serious.

Viking

Quote from: Solmyr on December 31, 2012, 07:50:17 AM
What's with the Radagast hate? I thought he was great, exactly how Radagast would be. Not every wizard is super-serious.

Gandalf is a pot smokin' hippie, Radagast is a cross between a hoarder and a cat lady only with birdshit in his hair and Saruman is cool but evil.

My Radagast hate is primarily centered on HIM NOT BEING IN THE BOOK (apart from being referred to in third person).
First Maxim - "There are only two amounts, too few and enough."
First Corollary - "You cannot have too many soldiers, only too few supplies."
Second Maxim - "Be willing to exchange a bad idea for a good one."
Second Corollary - "You can only be wrong or agree with me."

A terrorist which starts a slaughter quoting Locke, Burke and Mill has completely missed the point.
The fact remains that the only person or group to applaud the Norway massacre are random Islamists.

The Minsky Moment

Quote from: MadImmortalMan on December 30, 2012, 06:16:45 PM
I thought the 48 frames looked wonderful until the camera started moving rapidly. Then it got blurry a bit. Looked great otherwise.

Bring an upgraded GPU to the theater.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

Solmyr

Quote from: Viking on December 31, 2012, 09:08:15 AM

Gandalf is a pot smokin' hippie, Radagast is a cross between a hoarder and a cat lady only with birdshit in his hair and Saruman is cool but evil.

My Radagast hate is primarily centered on HIM NOT BEING IN THE BOOK (apart from being referred to in third person).

There are a ton of things in the movies that were not in the book, that's been known for some time now and was the stated intention.

Viking

Quote from: Solmyr on January 01, 2013, 06:31:10 AM
Quote from: Viking on December 31, 2012, 09:08:15 AM

There are a ton of things in the movies that were not in the book, that's been known for some time now and was the stated intention.

I hate all that shit since it is pete and pippa being self important. I'm tempted to think that the entire point of the extra stuff was to make a trilogy which could make 3 billion dollars rather than a single movie which made 1 billion.
First Maxim - "There are only two amounts, too few and enough."
First Corollary - "You cannot have too many soldiers, only too few supplies."
Second Maxim - "Be willing to exchange a bad idea for a good one."
Second Corollary - "You can only be wrong or agree with me."

A terrorist which starts a slaughter quoting Locke, Burke and Mill has completely missed the point.
The fact remains that the only person or group to applaud the Norway massacre are random Islamists.

jimmy olsen

Who cares if it was in the Hobbit itself?

It was in the back story, and those changes that weren't were well done.  It all wove together and made sense, that's what is important.
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Caliga

Quote from: Viking on January 01, 2013, 06:58:09 AM
I hate all that shit since it is pete and pippa being self important. I'm tempted to think that the entire point of the extra stuff was to make a trilogy which could make 3 billion dollars rather than a single movie which made 1 billion.
Well duh. :lol:
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

Caliga

Quote from: jimmy olsen on January 01, 2013, 07:20:41 AM
Who cares if it was in the Hobbit itself?

It was in the back story, and those changes that weren't were well done.  It all wove together and made sense, that's what is important.
While true, I didn't like most of the Radagast inclusions.  They just seemed like filler to me, which wasn't really necessary in a movie that long.
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points