News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Peter Jackson's Hobbit - The Critique

Started by Martinus, December 25, 2012, 02:37:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jimmy olsen

Quote from: Ideologue on December 26, 2012, 02:28:06 AM
I tried to obliquely ask this in the other thread, but neither Faeelin nor anyone else answered, so since there's another thread about this stupid movie, HOW IS THE FORTY-EIGHT FRAMES PER SECOND?
This is Poland, they only get four to eight frames per second.
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Ideologue

Polish IMAX involves flipping through an extra big notebook.
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

Kleves

I tried to obliquely ask this in the other thread, but neither Faeelin nor anyone else answered, so since there's another thread about this stupid movie, HOW IS THE FORTY-EIGHT FRAMES PER SECOND?
I thought it looked good during the action scenes. During some of the slower scenes, it looked like a BBC production from before BBC productions stopped looking like shit.
My aim, then, was to whip the rebels, to humble their pride, to follow them to their inmost recesses, and make them fear and dread us. Fear is the beginning of wisdom.

Syt

Quote from: Kleves on December 26, 2012, 02:47:09 AM
I thought it looked good during the action scenes. During some of the slower scenes, it looked like a BBC production from before BBC productions stopped looking like shit.

It worked really well for me in the beginning up till when the party sets forth. The cheap TV effect was strongest for me in the Goblin king bits. I also thought it made the pure CGI scenes look even more CGI-y, like the orcs+wargs at night. On the other hand I thought it greatly improved the 3D performance for me. It's the first movie that made me involuntarily blink a few times when stuff was quickly flying towards the camera. In two or three of the slow landscape camera sweeps I was so into the movie it briefly felt like the theater was moving.

Still, I think I should enjoy the movie more in 2D.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Martinus

Well I watched it in normal 3D which was crap (my choice was dictated by what was available at the hour I chose to go to the cinema). A lot of screenings were dubbed so the choice was slimmer than usual. If I had a complete choice, I'd go 2D subtitled but there were those available only in the evening.

Faeelin

Oh sorry, I saw the old-fashioned version. I didn't want to wade through the people dressed up as hobbits.

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Ideologue on December 26, 2012, 02:36:32 AM
Polish IMAX involves flipping through an extra big notebook.

3D Viewmasters, and click really fast.

Jacob

Personally I thought it was pretty decent, but there were way too many action scenes.

Sheilbh

Quote from: Faeelin on December 25, 2012, 03:38:47 PM
Quote from: Martinus on December 25, 2012, 02:47:39 PM
I'm not. Why would I be?

A lot of your complaints are that a children's book seems like a children's book.
Yeah and from my memory of reading the Hobbit I think the deus ex machina is just being true to the book :mellow:
Let's bomb Russia!

Jacob

Yeah... the deus ex machina was fine, and so were all the "children's book" bits, IMO. I didn't mind the extra bits of back story with Galadriel and all that. It was the excess of "Hollywood action" bits that were too much; that and Radagast. Didn't like him at all.

Ideologue

Quote from: Syt on December 26, 2012, 03:01:39 AM
Quote from: Kleves on December 26, 2012, 02:47:09 AM

It worked really well for me in the beginning up till when the party sets forth. The cheap TV effect was strongest for me in the Goblin king bits. I also thought it made the pure CGI scenes look even more CGI-y, like the orcs+wargs at night. On the other hand I thought it greatly improved the 3D performance for me. It's the first movie that made me involuntarily blink a few times when stuff was quickly flying towards the camera. In two or three of the slow landscape camera sweeps I was so into the movie it briefly felt like the theater was moving.

Still, I think I should enjoy the movie more in 2D.

So there's an even chance that 48FPS will make me throw up. : /

If it really does make things look like they're shot on VHS, I'm not too into it.  The other day I saw Dark Knight Rises played on a store TV where they've hooked shit up wrong or fucked up the settings, so the brightness seemed much higher and the movement on the screen seemed off too, and that looked shot on VHS.  Maybe the ugliest footage I've ever seen; Batman and Bane looked like Christian Bale and Tom Hardy in Batman and Bane Halloween costumes.  In a way it looked more "realistic," but "realistic" in the sense it looked like I was standing on the actual set, i.e. it looked garbage.  And I've seen that movie, it looks fine.

I mention this because it seems to be similar to what a lot of people are describing with 48FPS.  I sorta hope not.  I'm still more than curious about the technique, but I'm probably going to wind up waiting for a movie I'm at least curious about in the first place to see it.  I wonder if there's another one in the pipeline?
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

Martinus

I heard opinions that the problem with 48 FPS is that captures the film with an accuracy that is higher than that of a naked eye - which makes it look weird, as in reality we view everything in a more inaccurate, somewhat blurred way. Which makes the film captured in 48FPS look "antiseptic".

viper37

I have no idea wich one I saw.  It wasn't specified anything but "3D".  It was ok, like the Avengers, I'd say.
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

Sheilbh

The UK reviews all say it sometimes ends up looking a lot like a TV show with very high production values.
Let's bomb Russia!

Sophie Scholl

Ide, I saw the 48 fps and seem to have similar issues with motion movies/games as per your past descriptions, and I felt fine the whole time.  I wouldn't be overly concerned.
"Everything that brought you here -- all the things that made you a prisoner of past sins -- they are gone. Forever and for good. So let the past go... and live."

"Somebody, after all, had to make a start. What we wrote and said is also believed by many others. They just don't dare express themselves as we did."