News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Best way to kill a ton of people?

Started by OttoVonBismarck, December 21, 2012, 05:41:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DGuller

What's the point of this thread?  If someone knew of a good way, I'm sure they wouldn't spoil it here.

Razgovory

Quote from: DGuller on December 22, 2012, 09:44:06 PM
What's the point of this thread?  If someone knew of a good way, I'm sure they wouldn't spoil it here.

You'll note that the really crazy people haven't actually disclosed a method.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

alfred russel

First, you post a thread, "Best way to kill a ton of people?"

You then put in action the plan of one of the respondents you really don't like.

When the police apprehend you for your killing, you tell them about how you just followed the plan some guy told you in your thread.

That won't directly kill the respondent, but it may be effective enough.
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

Razgovory

That seems awfully roundabout.  Plus you end up going to jail.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Viking

Quote from: Ideologue on December 22, 2012, 06:52:55 PM
How about releasing CO2 into a quasi enclosed area? Co2 isn't regulated but it kills at high concentrations, like that Nigerian village that got wiped off the face of the planet by a carbon.bubble emerging from a lake.

CO2 /= CO

Carbon monoxide kills. It is what kills when you put a hose from the exhaust into the passenger compartment of the car. e.g. taking over the A/C in an enclosed space and then filling it with CO might kill a lot of people.
First Maxim - "There are only two amounts, too few and enough."
First Corollary - "You cannot have too many soldiers, only too few supplies."
Second Maxim - "Be willing to exchange a bad idea for a good one."
Second Corollary - "You can only be wrong or agree with me."

A terrorist which starts a slaughter quoting Locke, Burke and Mill has completely missed the point.
The fact remains that the only person or group to applaud the Norway massacre are random Islamists.

DGuller

Quote from: Viking on December 23, 2012, 02:02:43 AM
How about releasing CO2 into a quasi enclosed area? Co2 isn't regulated but it kills at high concentrations, like that Nigerian village that got wiped off the face of the planet by a carbon.bubble emerging from a lake.

CO2 /= CO

Carbon monoxide kills. It is what kills when you put a hose from the exhaust into the passenger compartment of the car. e.g. taking over the A/C in an enclosed space and then filling it with CO might kill a lot of people.
:rolleyes: I'm pretty sure he meant carbon dioxide, which kills too if you breathe it in when you're supposed to be breathing in oxygen.

Syt

Much slower killer, though. Every year there's a couple of deaths in Vienna from Carbon Monoxide poisoning because of faulty gas heating/boiler systems (you're supposed to have them checked annually to prevent such accidents).
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

11B4V

Quote from: DGuller on December 22, 2012, 09:44:06 PM

Unsure.
"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".

Razgovory

Quote from: DGuller on December 23, 2012, 02:51:02 AM
Quote from: Viking on December 23, 2012, 02:02:43 AM

CO2 /= CO

:rolleyes: I'm pretty sure he meant carbon dioxide, which kills too if you breathe it in when you're supposed to be breathing in oxygen.

I guess, but nearly everything kills you if you breath it in instead of oxygen.  Carbon Dioxide, Nitrogen, water, rabbits.

jimmy olsen

I always thought that what actually just happened in Newton would have the greatest emotional impact. Rather than planning bombings of important targets or whatever, if a terror cell simply acquired firearms and then hit five different elementary schools in different states on the same day, that would bring the country to a screeching halt and cause an insane Orewllian reaction. 
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Razgovory

They kinda did that in India.  India usually responds less with Orwellian laws and more mass lynching.

Iormlund

Quote from: Ideologue on December 22, 2012, 09:21:20 PM
Also, I guess this is against the rules anyway, as CO2--even if not very effective--would count as the "C" in NBC weapons.

I assumed he meant military-grade weaponized stuff, not homemade shit.

OttoVonBismarck

1. The thread is idle speculation, anyone who is confused/thinks it's more serious than that should lower their stupidity by at least 20%.

2. We can be a little liberal on the chemical weapons. Very technically you could argue a lot of things are chemical weapons that ordinary people would have access to, my point with no "NBCs" is more let's not talk about weaponized biological weapons you'd need a lap of professional biologists to produce or exotic chemical weapons that you'd need to be a chemist to have a reasonable shot at making yourself.

dps

Quote from: jimmy olsen on December 23, 2012, 04:25:30 AM
I always thought that what actually just happened in Newton would have the greatest emotional impact. Rather than planning bombings of important targets or whatever, if a terror cell simply acquired firearms and then hit five different elementary schools in different states on the same day, that would bring the country to a screeching halt and cause an insane Orewllian reaction. 

Well, the thread question was about how to kill as many people as possible at once, not how to maximize the emotional impact of the killings.  That said, I do think that you're right that targetting elementary schools would provoke the maximum emotional response.  But it might not be the response a terrorist would want--it would likely be anger rather than fear, I think.  It would probably cause us to actually get serious about the war on terror, which would mean fighting it without the restrictive rules of engagement our troops are limited by now, and not coddling supposedly "friendly" regimes that in fact are opposed to our interests.

Razgovory

Quote from: dps on December 23, 2012, 06:49:01 PM
Quote from: jimmy olsen on December 23, 2012, 04:25:30 AM

Well, the thread question was about how to kill as many people as possible at once, not how to maximize the emotional impact of the killings.  That said, I do think that you're right that targetting elementary schools would provoke the maximum emotional response.  But it might not be the response a terrorist would want--it would likely be anger rather than fear, I think.  It would probably cause us to actually get serious about the war on terror, which would mean fighting it without the restrictive rules of engagement our troops are limited by now, and not coddling supposedly "friendly" regimes that in fact are opposed to our interests.

I'm not sure if I'd like to see what would happen if they actually succeeded in making Americans afraid.  9-11 made people angry.  The last time people were Americans were terrified by an enemy attack was Pearl Harbor.  That ended with the US glassing a couple of Japanese cities.  If someone did something that actually really terrified us, something that would make us deadly serious, I don't think they would like the result.  I don't think people fully realize what the US is capable doing, and has done in the past.  You anger the US, you get CIA hunting you down or the army knocking on your door.  You scare the US, you might have your country turned into a radioactive wasteland.