News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

white people problems - 401(k)

Started by Caliga, December 20, 2012, 02:20:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Caliga

Just FYI, @ 6% invested I am maxing out on employer contribution as well and I am already doing this, so I obviously agree with that piece of advice and don't need to keep receiving it. :)
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

CountDeMoney

Quote from: MadImmortalMan on December 20, 2012, 02:41:49 PM
First criteria is the matching money. That's immediate 100% profit for Cal, and contributing less to the 401k and missing out on it would be dumb, regardless of taxes.

Caliga

0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

Phillip V

I have a Roth 401k, but my employer only matches up to 4% of my base salary. :(

Ed Anger

Quote from: Caliga on December 20, 2012, 07:51:30 PM
You forgot 'This.'

I'm writing the Kentucky colonels to have you expelled.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Phillip V on December 20, 2012, 07:52:04 PM
I have a Roth 401k, but my employer only matches up to 4% of my base salary. :(

Be careful;  mine matched 6% with an additional 50% match up to 8%, and you see where that got me.
4% may just be enough not to bother the shareholders with your lack of value.

The Minsky Moment

Al -

If you have a pre-tax (deductible contribution) 401(k), what happens at death - does the basis step up to make it effectively non-taxable to the reicipient (aside from taxes levied on the estate?)
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

alfred russel

Quote from: The Minsky Moment on December 21, 2012, 01:20:58 PM
Al -

If you have a pre-tax (deductible contribution) 401(k), what happens at death - does the basis step up to make it effectively non-taxable to the reicipient (aside from taxes levied on the estate?)

I don't know, but I don't think so.
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

Scipio

Quote from: MadImmortalMan on December 20, 2012, 02:30:32 PM
Keep going in the 401k like you are. Any that you want to add to your retirement savings over and above that, put in the IRA.
This.

Free money is worth the tax hit, but when the match ends, go into a Roth IRA.
What I speak out of my mouth is the truth.  It burns like fire.
-Jose Canseco

There you go, giving a fuck when it ain't your turn to give a fuck.
-Every cop, The Wire

"It is always good to be known for one's Krapp."
-John Hurt

dps

Quote from: Admiral Yi on December 20, 2012, 07:28:14 PM
You guys are making a lot of bread.

Sure, not everybody has enough income to be even able to consider maxing out (Lord knows I don't), but if you do have that much income you should max out your retirement. 

C.C.R.

Quote from: dps on December 23, 2012, 07:26:04 PM

Sure, not everybody has enough income to be even able to consider maxing out (Lord knows I don't), but if you do have that much income you should max out your retirement.

I make jack shit, but 100% match up to 5% is 100% match up to 5% -- my damned Weiner Kids can eat Ramen for breakfast, lunch & dinner before I'll pass up free money...

:ccr

dps

Quote from: C.C.R. on December 25, 2012, 06:00:30 PM
Quote from: dps on December 23, 2012, 07:26:04 PM

I make jack shit, but 100% match up to 5% is 100% match up to 5% -- my damned Weiner Kids can eat Ramen for breakfast, lunch & dinner before I'll pass up free money...

:ccr

We weren't talking just about maxing out your employer's contributiion--we were talking about putting the maximum allowed by law into your 401K or IRA.

C.C.R.

Quote from: dps on December 25, 2012, 07:13:10 PM
We weren't talking just about maxing out your employer's contributiion--we were talking about putting the maximum allowed by law into your 401K or IRA.

Yes.  I employed an old Languish trick of changing the subject of a thread to interest me & help improve my poor self esteem.  Did I ruin the thread?

dps

Quote from: C.C.R. on December 25, 2012, 07:17:58 PM
Quote from: dps on December 25, 2012, 07:13:10 PM

Yes.  I employed an old Languish trick of changing the subject of a thread to interest me & help improve my poor self esteem.  Did I ruin the thread?

Meh, an ACW hijack would have been better.

Baron von Schtinkenbutt

Quote from: dps on December 25, 2012, 07:19:03 PM
Quote from: C.C.R. on December 25, 2012, 07:17:58 PM

Meh, an ACW hijack would have been better.

If the US Army had better 401(k) matching than the CSA, they would have gotten more of the good generals at the start of the war.