News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

South Korea Elects New President

Started by jimmy olsen, December 20, 2012, 12:24:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jimmy olsen

I find it amazing some of the countries that have had a female head of government before the U.S.

South Korea obviously isn't as surprising as Pakistan, but gender relations here are still about 50 years behind the U.S.
http://worldnews.nbcnews.com/_news/2012/12/19/16019851-ex-military-rulers-daughter-voted-new-leader-of-south-korea
QuoteEx-military ruler's daughter voted new leader of South Korea

Chung Sung-Jun / Getty Images

South Korea's first female leader, Park Geun-Hye.
By Julie Yoo, NBC News

Park Geun-hye, the daughter of a former military ruler became the South Korea's first female leader Wednesday, saying she would work to heal a divided society.

The 60-year old conservative, will return to the presidential palace in Seoul where she served as her father's first lady in the 1970s, after her mother was assassinated by a North Korean-backed gunman.

News agency Yonhap said the result could have profound impacts on the country's foreign policy, particularly with regard to its Communist neighbor, North Korea.

Park has said she would negotiate with Kim Jong-un, the youthful leader of North Korea who recently celebrated a year in office, but wants the South's isolated and impoverished neighbor to give up its nuclear weapons program as a precondition for aid, something Pyongyang has refused to do.
Advertise | AdChoices

With more than 88 percent of votes in the country's presidential election counted, Park led with 51.6 percent to 48 percent for her left-wing challenger, human rights lawyer Moon Jae-in, giving her an unassailable lead that forced Moon to concede.

PhotoBlog: South Korea elects its first female president

Her raucous, jubilant supporters braved sub-zero temperatures to chant her name and wave South Korean flags outside her house. When she reached her party headquarters, Park was greeted with shouts of "president".

An elated Park reached into the crowd to grasp hands of supporters wearing red scarves, her party's color.

"This is a victory brought by the people's hope for overcoming crisis and for economic recovery," she told supporters at a rally in central Seoul.

Park is unmarried and has no children, saying that her life will be devoted to her country.

The legacy of her father, Park Chung-hee, who ruled for 18 years and transformed the country from the ruins of the 1950-53 Korean War into an industrial power-house, still divides Koreans.

"I trust her. She will save our country," said Park Hye-sook, 67, who voted in an affluent Seoul district, earlier in the day.
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Habbaku

Has South Korea had a black president yet?
The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

Phillip V

Unfortunately, the United States has no daughters of former assassinated American dictators to run for President.

Caroline Kennedy came closest, but her U.S. Senate bid failed.

jimmy olsen

Quote from: Habbaku on December 20, 2012, 01:12:42 AM
They don't have black people, but America does have women, so it's not a fair comparison.
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
1 Karma Chameleon point

CountDeMoney

Yeah, no shit.  Stick that in your pocket and smoke it, Seoul.

Phillip V

Quote from: jimmy olsen on December 20, 2012, 01:37:33 AM
They don't have black people
That's because South Koreans hate black people.

jimmy olsen

Quote from: Phillip V on December 20, 2012, 03:21:56 AM

18th century Europeans hated black people too, but somehow they ended up with a whole lot of them in their colonies, so I'm going to have to go with geographic and historical realities being the reason why S. Korea doesn't have black people.

1 Karma Chameleon point

Josquius

I find it most amazing the daughter of the old dictator is not only is able to make a succesful career for herself but to have people vote for her to be president.
██████
██████
██████

Phillip V

Neil

Quote from: Phillip V on December 20, 2012, 03:21:56 AM
Can you blame them?  Always rioting and smashing up their stores...
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

Eddie Teach

Quote from: jimmy olsen on December 20, 2012, 12:24:04 AM
I find it amazing some of the countries that have had a female head of government before the U.S.

South Korea obviously isn't as surprising as Pakistan, but gender relations here are still about 50 years behind the U.S.

Not really the same when the woman is in there because a husband or father came before her.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Valmy

Yeah in these cases it is almost always a dynastic deal.

Jenna Bush has just a few years to become eligible.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

PDH

I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.
-Umberto Eco

-------
"I'm pretty sure my level of depression has nothing to do with how much of a fucking asshole you are."

-CdM

merithyn

Quote from: Valmy on December 20, 2012, 09:16:10 AM
Yeah in these cases it is almost always a dynastic deal.

This is what I was thinking. Other than Margaret Thatcher, are there any women who came to power without a family history of male rulers?
Yesterday, upon the stair,
I met a man who wasn't there
He wasn't there again today
I wish, I wish he'd go away...

PDH

I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.
-Umberto Eco

-------
"I'm pretty sure my level of depression has nothing to do with how much of a fucking asshole you are."

-CdM