News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

RIP, Robert Bork

Started by Barrister, December 19, 2012, 10:36:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Barrister

Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

alfred russel

RIP. Had he been the nominee, we would now be discussing who Obama could appoint to secure a democratic controlled USSC. :cry:
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

derspiess

RIP :(

Take it somewhere else, Meri.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

merithyn

Quote from: derspiess on December 19, 2012, 11:33:40 AM
RIP :(

Take it somewhere else, Meri.

Apologies. But I did say that I was sorry for those who will miss him. :sleep:
Yesterday, upon the stair,
I met a man who wasn't there
He wasn't there again today
I wish, I wish he'd go away...

Razgovory

He's segregating angels now.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

The Minsky Moment

The Globe & Mail article mentions only as an aside what was easily his most significant contribution: his 1978 book The Antitrust Paradox.  Modern competition law in the US and beyond has been profoundly influenced by that book, beginning with US Supreme Court decisions that radically altered legal doctrine, and followed by changes in the US DOJ and FTC analytical guidelines which incorporated a lot of Borks ideas, and have since spread to have some influence on the Directorate General for Competition in Europe.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Barrister on December 19, 2012, 10:36:05 AM
Since I can assume Seedy won't post this news...

Eat me.  I was busy this AM.

jimmy olsen

Quote from: The Minsky Moment on December 19, 2012, 12:29:25 PM
The Globe & Mail article mentions only as an aside what was easily his most significant contribution: his 1978 book The Antitrust Paradox.  Modern competition law in the US and beyond has been profoundly influenced by that book, beginning with US Supreme Court decisions that radically altered legal doctrine, and followed by changes in the US DOJ and FTC analytical guidelines which incorporated a lot of Borks ideas, and have since spread to have some influence on the Directorate General for Competition in Europe.
Influenced them in what way? What changed?
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

The Minsky Moment

Quote from: jimmy olsen on December 19, 2012, 04:56:30 PM
Influenced them in what way? What changed?

More explicit use of economic theory; much greater emphasis on consumer impact (as opposed to impact on competing businesses).
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

Admiral Yi

My IO professor at Kennedy came in one day bubbling that federal judges were now accepting consumer surplus as a legitimate argument in antitrust cases, but that was in 90 or 91.

Is that a reasonable timeframe Joan?

The Minsky Moment

Quote from: Admiral Yi on December 19, 2012, 05:13:32 PM
My IO professor at Kennedy came in one day bubbling that federal judges were now accepting consumer surplus as a legitimate argument in antitrust cases, but that was in 90 or 91.

Is that a reasonable timeframe Joan?

In that time frame, probably would have been the ARCO Supreme Court case, which threw out a competitor challenge to vertical maximum price fixing scheme on the ground that no consumer injury was alleged.

That was only one in a series of cases from the late 70s into the late 90s - as usually happens in the law, change comes gradually as cases move through the system.
--Joan Robinson

The Brain

Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Barrister

Quote from: The Brain on December 20, 2012, 01:16:24 PM
bork bork bork

And Swedes try to say that the Swedish Chef doesn't sound Swedish. :rolleyes:
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.