News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Pets in the Obituaries?

Started by AnchorClanker, December 18, 2012, 11:23:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

AnchorClanker

My Mom told me last night that our local paper is now running notices for dead cats in the Obituaries section.
She believes that this is disrespectful for the people who have passed away, and was amazed at the LONG write-up for this cat.
She also said that "I'm probably the only person out there that thinks this is stupid."

So, what say you?  I get that we're sad after a pet dies, but is is proper to have a pet obituary WITH the human obituaries?  Might it not be better to have a different listing and not mash them together?

The final wisdom of life requires not the annulment of incongruity but the achievement of serenity within and above it.  - Reinhold Niebuhr

OttoVonBismarck

Meh, I consider local papers to be the breeding ground for inanities and trivialities like pet obituaries, so I'd take it in stride. If this is a national newspaper that happens to also be your local newspaper, I'd probably think it inappropriate just for being indecorous and trivial.

Barrister

Meh - the obits aren't all that far away from the thinly-disguised prostitution ads in the newspaper classifieds anyways, so it's hard to get too worked up over it.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

AnchorClanker

Quote from: OttoVonBismarck on December 18, 2012, 11:25:08 AM
Meh, I consider local papers to be the breeding ground for inanities and trivialities like pet obituaries, so I'd take it in stride. If this is a national newspaper that happens to also be your local newspaper, I'd probably think it inappropriate just for being indecorous and trivial.

No, it's the Tillamook Headlight-Herald.
The final wisdom of life requires not the annulment of incongruity but the achievement of serenity within and above it.  - Reinhold Niebuhr

Neil

Highly stupid, but this is what local papers have to do now to trick people into buying a product that everyone knows is worthless.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

Valmy

Quote from: Neil on December 18, 2012, 11:28:15 AM
Highly stupid, but this is what local papers have to do now to trick people into buying a product that everyone knows is worthless.

Yeah going to have to go with the ethnic Albertan on this one.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

garbon

Quote from: Valmy on December 18, 2012, 11:30:19 AM
Quote from: Neil on December 18, 2012, 11:28:15 AM

Yeah going to have to go with the ethnic Albertan on this one.

Agreed.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

AnchorClanker

I don't know that this is a sales thing so much as an ad revenue thing.

For a local paper, the HH is pretty good, and is well liked by Tillamook County.

Grey Fox

I think it's stupid but they are hurting for money. Gotta find it somewhere.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

Ed Anger

When Drut dies, I will bury him next to the shed. I will drape a nazi flag over his mound and praise my little rabbit killer.

The Panzerlied will waft over the property.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Zanza

Quote from: Ed Anger on December 18, 2012, 11:46:52 AM
The Panzerlied will waft over the property.
You play Ich hatt' einen Kameraden for a proper burial.

Richard Hakluyt

They should be separate from the human obituaries, then they get the needed revenue without offending people.

AnchorClanker

Quote from: Richard Hakluyt on December 18, 2012, 12:19:32 PM
They should be separate from the human obituaries, then they get the needed revenue without offending people.

That's what I think as well.

CountDeMoney

Quote from: AnchorClanker on December 18, 2012, 11:23:04 AM
So, what say you?  I get that we're sad after a pet dies, but is is proper to have a pet obituary WITH the human obituaries?  Might it not be better to have a different listing and not mash them together?

Some cats have accomplished more with their lives than most people.

garbon

Quote from: CountDeMoney on December 18, 2012, 12:30:06 PM
Quote from: AnchorClanker on December 18, 2012, 11:23:04 AM

Some cats have accomplished more with their lives than most people.

Very few is probably a more accurate description than some.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.