News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Gay Nativity Scene

Started by garbon, December 17, 2012, 01:13:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

garbon

http://www.nydailynews.com/news/world/gay-couple-colombia-fire-homosexual-nativity-scene-article-1.1221841

QuoteA gay couple has sparked outrage for displaying a "homosexual nativity scene" in their Colombian home.
Andrés Vásquez and Felipe Cárdenas have come under fire for their all-male manger - where the baby Jesus has two father Josephs and the Virgin Mary is nowhere to be seen.

The country's Catholic Church has labeled the display, in the northern city of Cartagena, as "sacrilege."

And thousands of Colombians have taken to social networking sites to slam the pair, with many saying they show "a lack of respect to God and all Christians."

A Facebook user added, "As much as I support gay rights, this is just stupid on so many levels. If you are a Catholic you have to accept Jesus' parents were Mary and Joseph."

Political analyst Vásquez and entrepreneur Felipe have been together for four years and were united by a civil union, the closest thing to marriage for homosexuals in Colombia, three months ago.

The gay rights activists told the Diario Veloz website that they set up the scene, a picture of which was then posted on Facebook, in the hope that it would help in bringing about reform in the country's gay marriage laws.

A bill to legalize gay marriage is currently being looked at by the country's politicians and has passed the first of four debates. But it has been dubbed as "unconstitutional" by the nation's conservative lawmakers.

Vásquez told the website: 'We did it because we believe in Colombia. We have lived in different cities in the world and we prefer to return to our country.
"We are beginning to build [a better country] through our new union," he said.

I can't tell which side is acting more foolish here. :hmm:
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

11B4V

"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".

Valmy

Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Admiral Yi

CountDeMoney

QuoteThe gay rights activists told the Diario Veloz website that they set up the scene, a picture of which was then posted on Facebook, in the hope that it would help in bringing about reform in the country's gay marriage laws.

Yes, because we all know the best and most effective way to effect social change in a predominantly Catholic country is to alienate a majority of it.  :lol:

Why must gays be so...overly demonstrative sometimes? Is it the whole Broadway show tunes thingy?  Is that where it all comes from?

garbon

Quote from: CountDeMoney on December 17, 2012, 01:25:26 PM
Why must gays be so...overly demonstrative sometimes? Is it the whole Broadway show tunes thingy?  Is that where it all comes from?

I think a more accurate (and less funny) explanation is that once you have decided to stop keeping secrets about yourself, you make a radical overcompensation.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Admiral Yi

Quote from: garbon on December 17, 2012, 01:27:51 PM
I think a more accurate (and less funny) explanation is that once you have decided to stop keeping secrets about yourself, you make a radical overcompensation.

That's a reasonable theory.

Hopefully it means that as time goes on, and gays are less and less closeted, that fewer of them will end up being inconsiderate jerks.

garbon

Quote from: Admiral Yi on December 17, 2012, 01:42:12 PM
Hopefully it means that as time goes on, and gays are less and less closeted, that fewer of them will end up being inconsiderate jerks.

Agreed, though I think with Christianity it is a two-way street. As long as you have Christians denouncing gays as abominations, you're going to have some section of gays who are inconsiderate towards Christians.

merithyn

Is it wrong that I giggled? :unsure:

You know, Americans made Jesus et al white. Why can't gays make them, well, gay? Though, admittedly, I'd probably have put the display in my house instead of outside it if I lived in Columbia, but to each their own...  :ph34r:
Yesterday, upon the stair,
I met a man who wasn't there
He wasn't there again today
I wish, I wish he'd go away...

Admiral Yi

Quote from: merithyn on December 17, 2012, 02:08:26 PM

You know, Americans made Jesus et al white. Why can't gays make them, well, gay? Though, admittedly, I'd probably have put the display in my house instead of outside it if I lived in Columbia, but to each their own...  :ph34r:

This is a silly post Meri.

garbon

Quote from: Admiral Yi on December 17, 2012, 02:10:53 PM

:yes:

Caliga

Needs a live action caganer. :)
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

merithyn

Quote from: Admiral Yi on December 17, 2012, 02:10:53 PM

It was meant to be. :(
Yesterday, upon the stair,
I met a man who wasn't there
He wasn't there again today
I wish, I wish he'd go away...

Malthus

It's tacky. Injecting issues relevant to yourself deliberately into a religious tableaux, just to raise awareness, generally is tacky. Even if the issue is a good cause.

People make Jesus look northern european because, generally, and rightly or wrongly, they assume he actually looked like that. They often give him flowing robes for the same reason, even though Americans generally don't wear flowing robes.   

If someone makes a nativity scene with Mary and Joseph toting M-16s because they are big believers in gun ownership rights, that would also be tacky. Or an obese Joseph and Mary with the gifts of the Magi being Big Macs, to highlight America's obesity problem.  ;)

The message in each case is that the issue is more important than the religion, which isn't very respectful ... and despite the fact I'm not Christian, IMO it is good manners to respect other people's ways.  It's a kind of trolling not to. 
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

garbon

Quote from: Malthus on December 17, 2012, 02:20:00 PM
The message in each case is that the issue is more important than the religion, which isn't very respectful ... and despite the fact I'm not Christian, IMO it is good manners to respect other people's ways.  It's a kind of trolling not to. 

I don't know. I don't really see a problem with black nativity sets although that's less about trying to stick an issue in people's face and more of a personal preference thing.