News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Elementary school shooting blame game

Started by merithyn, December 14, 2012, 05:46:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

PDH

Quote from: Legbiter on December 17, 2012, 06:16:39 PM
Why not just repeal the second amendment? Or modify it so that it only applies to flintlock muskets?

Give the US a sane gun policy where the military, the police, rural folk/hunters and shooting sports enthusiasts can get a gun but everyone else can't.

Just be like Canada.

Why do you hate freedom?
I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.
-Umberto Eco

-------
"I'm pretty sure my level of depression has nothing to do with how much of a fucking asshole you are."

-CdM

viper37

Quote from: merithyn on December 14, 2012, 05:46:25 PM
There was a psychologist on NPR that was saying that the most effective way to end these kinds of tragedies isn't to ban guns, but rather for the media to refuse to agrandize the situations when they occur. Tell the story, but don't name the killer. Give no attention to him/her at all.

For that to work, however, all of the media would have to agree to it, which, as we know, will never happen. In addition, there are always those who need to know why. They'll dig to get the answer of who and why, and then publish it.
I,m surprised they didn't say it was violent video games first.  Or violent movies.
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

derspiess

Violent movies are getting some mention. Apparently Tarantino caught some shit for not apologizing for the violence in his movies.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Razgovory

Quote from: viper37 on December 17, 2012, 08:18:30 PM
Quote from: merithyn on December 14, 2012, 05:46:25 PM
There was a psychologist on NPR that was saying that the most effective way to end these kinds of tragedies isn't to ban guns, but rather for the media to refuse to agrandize the situations when they occur. Tell the story, but don't name the killer. Give no attention to him/her at all.

For that to work, however, all of the media would have to agree to it, which, as we know, will never happen. In addition, there are always those who need to know why. They'll dig to get the answer of who and why, and then publish it.
I,m surprised they didn't say it was violent video games first.  Or violent movies.

I've seen violent video games and Jews blamed.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Caliga

The Jews are the ones who will not be blamed for nothing. :)
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

Valmy

Quote from: Caliga on December 18, 2012, 05:28:48 AM

Indeed.  Man I am so tired of people not blaming them nothing, that crap has not not gone on for centuries.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Malthus

Quote from: Caliga on December 18, 2012, 05:28:48 AM

"The Juwes are the men that will not be blamed for nothing."

You mis-spelled "Juwes".  :P
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

Caliga

Of course a JUWE would get my little joke. :bowler:

Malthus

Quote from: Caliga on December 18, 2012, 09:40:26 AM
Of course a JUWE would get my little joke. :bowler:

Juwes, Brits, true crime affectionadoes, and other master race types.  :showoff:
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

Ed Anger

QuoteA proposal to bring a Gen Con-like gaming convention to Duluth has some business owners fluttering with excitement (Local View: "DECC needs a gaming convention," Dec. 4). But the violence accompanied with role-playing video games poses too high a risk for Duluth, despite the prospective economic profits.

Sure, Indianapolis has a turnout of 45,000 medieval-clad, game-playing enthusiasts at its annual Gen Con convention, and the annual event brings the city millions of dollars of profits. But everyone seems to overlook what should be obvious: the mental, emotional and physical whiplash of video games. Everyone seems to ignore what's known as "behavioral violence."

A study done by Craig Anderson and published in Glen Spark's book, "Media Effects," found the "exposure to violent video games is casually linked to increased aggressive behavior, increases in aggressive thoughts and feelings, higher levels of physiological arousal, and less helping behavior."

We're not playing Pong or Pac-Man anymore.

Instead, we're playing the most popular, cutting-edge video games like Demon's Souls, Dark Souls: Prepare to Die and the long-anticipated Soul Sacrifice, video games that probably will not make gamers want to volunteer at the Salvation Army. More likely, the games will increase desires to act and behave more violently.

As Lt. Col. Dave Grossman's studies prove, "Video games that require the player to shoot a gun and react reflexively with the shooting responses are teaching an entire generation of children to associate shooting with pleasure."

Bringing a scaled-down version of Indiana's Gen Con convention to Duluth would only increase the amount of violence to which Duluth is exposed. Is increased violence something we really want to willingly welcome into Duluth?

The role-playing video games associated with Gen Con are only a

catalyst to violent behavior. A study done by Norwegian psychologists Endestad and Torgsen reported that role-playing video games might lead to violent behavior because the gamer has identification with the main perpetrator in the game.

If playing video games really leads to aggressive behavior, I sure wouldn't want to welcome that into Duluth, despite the prospective economic

benefits.

Indiana can keep the Gen Con convention and the violence associated with video games, and we'll stick to Bentleyville's Tour of Lights.

Jo Cooley is a communication major at the University of Minnesota Duluth.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

CountDeMoney

Caliga

I know I for one have been feeling like a kung-fu panda lately. :cool:

Valmy

Reading his article makes me want to act out violently.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Ed Anger

Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

merithyn

Yesterday, upon the stair,
I met a man who wasn't there
He wasn't there again today
I wish, I wish he'd go away...