News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Elementary school shooting blame game

Started by merithyn, December 14, 2012, 05:46:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

merithyn

There was a psychologist on NPR that was saying that the most effective way to end these kinds of tragedies isn't to ban guns, but rather for the media to refuse to agrandize the situations when they occur. Tell the story, but don't name the killer. Give no attention to him/her at all.

For that to work, however, all of the media would have to agree to it, which, as we know, will never happen. In addition, there are always those who need to know why. They'll dig to get the answer of who and why, and then publish it.
Yesterday, upon the stair,
I met a man who wasn't there
He wasn't there again today
I wish, I wish he'd go away...

Martinus

Quote from: merithyn on December 14, 2012, 05:46:25 PM
There was a psychologist on NPR that was saying that the most effective way to end these kinds of tragedies isn't to ban guns, but rather for the media to refuse to agrandize the situations when they occur.
ok so it is fine if you bring poitics to this thread, but not when others do?

11B4V

Quote from: Martinus on December 14, 2012, 06:28:51 PM
There was a psychologist on NPR that was saying that the most effective way to end these kinds of tragedies isn't to ban guns, but rather for the media to refuse to agrandize the situations when they occur.
ok so it is fine if you bring poitics to this thread, but not when others do?

I dont see that as politics.
"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".

Martinus

She is blaming the media where others were blaming lax gun laws. I fail to see how one is not politics when the other is.

The Brain

Quote from: Martinus on December 14, 2012, 06:38:04 PM
She is blaming the media where others were blaming lax gun laws. I fail to see how one is not politics when the other is.

You lawyer?
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

merithyn

Jacob

In your view, Meri, are the media more or less responsible for the gun deaths than people who favour gun control?

Maximus

Quote from: Martinus on December 14, 2012, 06:38:04 PM
I'm sure no one here is surprised by your failure.

merithyn

Quote from: Jacob on December 14, 2012, 07:17:30 PM
In your view, Meri, are the media more or less responsible for the gun deaths than people who favour gun control?

So you're going to just keep misconstruing what I said to suit your own purposes? Okay, so then there's no real point to respond to you. Why don't you just keep making up what you think I'm saying and then respond, and I'll go have a beer and read it later?

Razgovory

There was a psychologist on NPR that was saying that the most effective way to end these kinds of tragedies isn't to ban guns, but rather for the media to refuse to agrandize the situations when they occur. Tell the story, but don't name the killer. Give no attention to him/her at all.

For that to work, however, all of the media would have to agree to it, which, as we know, will never happen. In addition, there are always those who need to know why. They'll dig to get the answer of who and why, and then publish it.

I'm sure postmortem reporting is a major concern amongst those who are suicidal or psychotic.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

mongers

Hm, I'm taking a different tack and suggesting this is a manifestation of certain cultural characteristics of a society.
As 11B4V and myself were discussing and as C.C. mention, it's not necessarily about gun laws, as it appears before we banned them, just one in a thousand Brits had a handgun, whereas 11B4V suggests the average is approaching unity in the US now.

That's a huge difference in societal norms and reasons for why people have these things. And not something I can either explain or comprehend.
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

Jacob

Quote from: merithyn on December 14, 2012, 07:38:16 PMSo you're going to just keep misconstruing what I said to suit your own purposes? Okay, so then there's no real point to respond to you. Why don't you just keep making up what you think I'm saying and then respond, and I'll go have a beer and read it later?

Which part am I misconstruing for my own purposes?

merithyn

At no time did I ever blame anyone for this shooting, except the gunman.

I don't blame the media for what happened, and I never said that I did. I said that aggrandizing what happened doesn't help the situation, but the media isn't going to not report the news. I also defended the need to document what happened by the media, though I lamented the need to get that information out as quickly as possible. The gentleman I discussed was on the news while he talked about this, and what he said was pertinent to the conversation that was taking place around what I said in the thread that this actually started in. Of course, you'd have to read my post in context to understand it, but Marti has now made that impossible. Not that you seem to care, anyway.

I never said that gun control was to blame. I said that people who fly off the handle spewing gun control propaganda without even knowing what the situation is HURTS the lobby for reasonable policies that can actually pass and that will actually do some good. And yes, I believe that they hurt the lobby just as badly as the NRA nutjobs do.

Which, had you bothered to read anything that I actually wrote, you would know. You don't seem to care what I actually think or mean, though, as is obvious by your willful disregard for the things that I've said.

DGuller

Back to the original subject, I think both sides are to blame.

11B4V

News sensationalism. It's going to get worse on this subjuct.
"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".