Elementary school shooting gun control pissing contest

Started by Grey Fox, December 14, 2012, 01:25:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

merithyn

Which isn't something Lanza would have seen. Maybe he kept shooting because he wasn't aware of how much damage he had already done. Or maybe he just couldn't stop himself once he started.
Yesterday, upon the stair,
I met a man who wasn't there
He wasn't there again today
I wish, I wish he'd go away...

derspiess

Meri, it's not something I really want to think about but having read battlefield reports of 5.56 wounds I'm pretty sure he'd see the effects.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

dps

Quote from: Queequeg on December 16, 2012, 09:35:23 PM
Is there any chance we could stop this conversation?  I really don't need any more mental images of the effect multiple high-powered rifle peculiarly hideous rounds would have on first graders. 

Given that this is Languish, and you're let people know that it's bothering you, I'd say very little chance now.  Heck, now it'll probably come up in every thread you post in for a while.

dps

Quote from: derspiess on December 16, 2012, 09:40:13 PM
Meri, it's not something I really want to think about but having read battlefield reports of 5.56 wounds I'm pretty sure he'd see the effects.

They'd be physically visible, but I wonder if he was really actually seeing anything by that point.

merithyn

I didn't know. I can't think of any other reason he would keep shooting. It just doesn't make sense. None of it does.

garbon

Quote from: Queequeg on December 16, 2012, 09:35:23 PM
Is there any chance we could stop this conversation?  I really don't need any more mental images of the effect multiple high-powered rifle peculiarly hideous rounds would have on first graders. 

Maybe if you'd kept your piehole shut when you were asked.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

garbon

Quote from: merithyn on December 16, 2012, 09:43:49 PM

I didn't know. I can't think of any other reason he would keep shooting. It just doesn't make sense. None of it does.

I'm not sure it ever will.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Neil

Quote from: merithyn on December 16, 2012, 09:43:49 PM

He's shooting a gun at a person.  You know full well what it's going to do.  If he was going to be shocked by watching viscera burst from small bodies, he wouldn't be shooting them in the first place.

It doesn't make sense to you because shooting little children doesn't make sense to you.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

CountDeMoney

merithyn

MadImmortalMan

Some of us deal with adversity by intellectually analyzing the hell out of it. It's just as reflexive as the response to call for control.  :)
"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers

merithyn

Neil

I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

DGuller

Quote from: merithyn on December 16, 2012, 10:31:11 PM
It's not a good thing to do sometimes, though. :sleep:
Better than the alternative.  If there is a car accident at a dangerous intersection, I would feel more comfortable if the cops were callously investigating the causes so soon after the tragedy, rather than breaking open their boxes of tissues and sobbing into them.

CountDeMoney

Quote from: DGuller on December 16, 2012, 10:46:06 PM
If there is a car accident at a dangerous intersection, I would feel more comfortable if the cops were callously investigating the causes so soon after the tragedy, rather than breaking open their boxes of tissues and sobbing into them.

The jokes are priceless sometimes.

And don't think the cops are the only ones, either.  Seen plenty of trauma surgeons busting on somebody right there on the table. 
Like the guy who came in off a chopper from a motorcycle accident with both his feet in plastic bags getting X-rayed on the bed next to him.  Reading off his vitals, when they got to height, doc was "well, whatever it is, subtract two feet".  I LOL'd.  :blush: