Elementary school shooting gun control pissing contest

Started by Grey Fox, December 14, 2012, 01:25:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

stjaba

Quote from: Martinus on December 16, 2012, 10:01:52 AM
Quote from: crazy canuck on December 16, 2012, 09:58:08 AM
Quote from: MadImmortalMan on December 15, 2012, 05:33:16 PM
That this thread is twice as long as the one it spawned from tells you something about human nature right there.

Yes, it tells you that people feel the need to find reasonable laws that will prevent this kind of tragedy in the future

Only that global statistics of such tragedies seem to imply no correlation between laws and the chance of them happening. Germany and China are quite high on the list, despite having very tight gun control laws, for example.

I think the bigger picture is gun control in general. While the school shooting was obviously tragic, the US has around 11,000 firearm homicides a year, or are about 30 a day. So every day, the equivalent of the Newtown shooting school occurs. While mass shootings are probably less preventable than other kinds of firearm homicides, there's still the broad point that more gun control is needed.

Queequeg

Keep reading and hearing today that the. 223 was the primary weapon used.
Quote from: PDH on April 25, 2009, 05:58:55 PM
"Dysthymia?  Did they get some student from the University of Chicago with a hard-on for ancient Bactrian cities to name this?  I feel cheated."

DGuller

Quote from: Martinus on December 16, 2012, 09:51:00 AM
This does not seem to support the existence of a significant correlation between gun control laws and these incidents.  :huh:

If anything, this seems to suggests one thing we new already - Americans think they are special and overreact when shit that happens all over the world happens to them.
What are you talking about?  We got the top two spots. :yeah:

DGuller

Quote from: Queequeg on December 16, 2012, 12:34:33 PM
Keep reading and hearing today that the. 223 was the primary weapon used.
Yeah, it was a rifle after all.  Kind of obvious in hindsight, given that there were so few wounded.

Fate

Sounds like his mother was crazy as shit as well. Member of a survivalist society ("Doomsday Preppers movement"), stored tons of dried food, and kept an armory to defend herself in what prior to last week was one of the safest cities in America. According to her sister in law she was preparing for the economy to collapse.

Martinus

Quote from: stjaba on December 16, 2012, 12:12:17 PM
Quote from: Martinus on December 16, 2012, 10:01:52 AM
Quote from: crazy canuck on December 16, 2012, 09:58:08 AM
Quote from: MadImmortalMan on December 15, 2012, 05:33:16 PM
That this thread is twice as long as the one it spawned from tells you something about human nature right there.

Yes, it tells you that people feel the need to find reasonable laws that will prevent this kind of tragedy in the future

Only that global statistics of such tragedies seem to imply no correlation between laws and the chance of them happening. Germany and China are quite high on the list, despite having very tight gun control laws, for example.

I think the bigger picture is gun control in general. While the school shooting was obviously tragic, the US has around 11,000 firearm homicides a year, or are about 30 a day. So every day, the equivalent of the Newtown shooting school occurs. While mass shootings are probably less preventable than other kinds of firearm homicides, there's still the broad point that more gun control is needed.

Yeah but then it does not make sense (except as an appeal to emotions) to say that one wants stricter gun control so that such tragedies do not happen. :P

The Brain

What is it with people and not keeping their guns locked away?
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

alfred russel

Quote from: Fate on December 16, 2012, 01:05:42 PM
Sounds like his mother was crazy as shit as well. Member of a survivalist society ("Doomsday Preppers movement"), stored tons of dried food, and kept an armory to defend herself in what prior to last week was one of the safest cities in America. According to her sister in law she was preparing for the economy to collapse.

Well, the economy has collapsed and she was killed by an act of violence in one of the safest cities in America. Who's crazy now?
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

stjaba

Quote from: Martinus on December 16, 2012, 01:11:21 PM

Yeah but then it does not make sense (except as an appeal to emotions) to say that one wants stricter gun control so that such tragedies do not happen. :P

Sometimes it takes tragedies and bare appeals to emotion to get important policy changes. It's happened before and it will happen again.

mongers

Really, is this verified ?

I just thought those people were harmless loones, though I guess most actions have consequences, intended or not.
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

CountDeMoney

Quote from: mongers on December 16, 2012, 01:48:56 PM

I just thought those people were harmless loones, though I guess most actions have consequences, intended or not.

She was a harmless loony.  She got shot in the face by the not-so-harmless loony, remember?

mongers

Quote from: CountDeMoney on December 16, 2012, 01:50:11 PM
Quote from: mongers on December 16, 2012, 01:48:56 PM

She was a harmless loony.  She got shot in the face by the not-so-harmless loony, remember?

Yes, but the eschatological frenzy these loose groupings generate, might help to push looser wing-nuts over the 'edge' so to speak. 
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

CountDeMoney

Quote from: mongers on December 16, 2012, 01:53:39 PM
Yes, but the eschatological frenzy these loose groupings generate, might help to push looser wing-nuts over the 'edge' so to speak.

Meh, I sincerely doubt this kid's pathology was fueled by prepper stockpiling.  Anti-social sociopaths don't work that way.

derspiess

"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

CountDeMoney

QuoteAuthorities said Adam Lanza had no criminal history, and it was not clear whether he had a job. Lanza was believed to have suffered from a personality disorder, said a law enforcement official who spoke on condition of anonymity.

Another law enforcement official, also speaking on condition of anonymity, said Lanza also had been diagnosed with Asperger's, a mild form of autism often characterized by social awkwardness.

People with the disorder are often highly intelligent. While they can become frustrated more easily, there is no evidence of a link between Asperger's and violent behavior, experts say.

The law enforcement officials insisted on anonymity because they were not authorized to discuss the unfolding investigation.

Richard Novia, the school district's head of security until 2008, who also served as adviser for the high school technology club, of which Lanza was a member, said he clearly "had some disabilities."

"If that boy would've burned himself, he would not have known it or felt it physically," Novia said in a phone interview. "It was my job to pay close attention to that."

Sincerely doubt Mommy's prepper stockpiling was the trigger, mongers.