Elementary school shooting gun control pissing contest

Started by Grey Fox, December 14, 2012, 01:25:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Maximus

Quote from: grumbler on December 14, 2012, 05:43:02 PM
Use of a tragedy as a spur to realistic discussion of realistic alternatives is fine, and even commendable.
I will admit to a certain amount of irrational rage today, but I don't think anything is lost by waiting until the dead are buried to start this discussion.

I agree with pretty much the rest of your post. I don't know how often these killers give off warning signs, perhaps it's more often than I thought.

mongers

For the record, the reaction to the 1996 Dunblane primary school massacre was the banning of all handguns larger than .22 cal.
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

11B4V

Quote from: Barrister on December 14, 2012, 05:31:00 PM
My own take is that if people want to discuss a public policy issue as a result of a tragedy that's fine.

If people have pre-existing axes to grind, and take said tragedy as an excuse to grind said axes, it leaves a bad taste in my mouth.

There needs to be some way to separate people like this guy from their guns, because his right to keep and bear arms doesn't over-ride the right of 5-year-olds to attend school without being murdered.

Very well said indeed.
"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".

Razgovory

Quote from: crazy canuck on December 14, 2012, 05:24:45 PM
Quote from: Maximus on December 14, 2012, 04:22:20 PM
Quote from: DGuller on December 14, 2012, 04:16:01 PM
Oh, give us a break with this sanctimonious bullshit.  This is no tragic accident, this is a predictable and oft-repeated consequence of a tragically stupid policy we have with regards to guns.  While the radical gun nuts whose idiocy kills other people "respectfully think about the victims of this tragedy" so that they don't have to think about the murderous consequences of their policies, people like myself are thinking about the victims of tomorrow's tragedy.  Today's victims are already dead, tomorrow's victims don't have to be.
You can fuck right off. You're not going to fix it this week. Let people grieve and get over the shock. Then, if you haven't forgotten about it in a few days we can work toward a rational solution.

I am a bit puzzled as to how a discussion on languish about gun control - an obvious issue raised whenever something like this happens - prevents people who need to grieve from grieving.

Also, how does preventing public discourse about a potential solution help anyone?

My own take is that if people want to discuss a public policy issue as a result of a tragedy that's fine.

If people have pre-existing axes to grind, and take said tragedy as an excuse to grind said axes, it leaves a bad taste in my mouth.

You mean like every other political issue?  Something bad happens, it catches people's attention and there is political discussion.  I guess we shouldn't be talking about Syria in a political discussion cause someone might be using it have an excuse to grind an axe.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Kleves

Quote from: Maximus on December 14, 2012, 05:51:01 PM
but I don't think anything is lost by waiting until the dead are buried to start this discussion.
Unfortunately, I think in a lot of these cases you have to strike while the iron is hot; waiting will dissapate the shock/outrage/horror that is necessary to actually effect change.
My aim, then, was to whip the rebels, to humble their pride, to follow them to their inmost recesses, and make them fear and dread us. Fear is the beginning of wisdom.

Barrister

Use of a tragedy as a spur to realistic discussion of realistic alternatives is fine, and even commendable.
I will admit to a certain amount of irrational rage today, but I don't think anything is lost by waiting until the dead are buried to start this discussion.

I agree with pretty much the rest of your post. I don't know how often these killers give off warning signs, perhaps it's more often than I thought.

Here's my irrational rage - that as soon as a tragedy happens people start speculating as to potential explanations, such as mental illness, until we have some actual evidence.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Razgovory

Okay, lets have the second amendment discussion about a massacre that happened a year ago.  I mean, there a whole bunch of them.  Why don't you pick a few for us.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

mongers

Quote from: Kleves on December 14, 2012, 05:57:19 PM
but I don't think anything is lost by waiting until the dead are buried to start this discussion.
Unfortunately, I think in a lot of these cases you have to strike while the iron is hot; waiting will dissapate the shock/outrage/horror that is necessary to actually effect change.

Yeah, I can't exactly recall what the last gun outrage in the US was, some of the victims of, may still be awaiting burial. 

edit:
oh, it was the guy at the mall, damn I bet he's immortal soul is pissed about losing out on the limelight. 

Neil

Oh, give us a break with this sanctimonious bullshit.  This is no tragic accident, this is a predictable and oft-repeated consequence of a tragically stupid policy we have with regards to guns.  While the radical gun nuts whose idiocy kills other people "respectfully think about the victims of this tragedy" so that they don't have to think about the murderous consequences of their policies, people like myself are thinking about the victims of tomorrow's tragedy.  Today's victims are already dead, tomorrow's victims don't have to be.
You can fuck right off. You're not going to fix it this week. Let people grieve and get over the shock. Then, if you haven't forgotten about it in a few days we can work toward a rational solution.
Nobody here lost a kid and so we have no need to grieve. Let's get straight to the politics.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

Barrister

Quote from: Razgovory on December 14, 2012, 05:55:52 PM
Quote from: crazy canuck on December 14, 2012, 05:24:45 PM

I am a bit puzzled as to how a discussion on languish about gun control - an obvious issue raised whenever something like this happens - prevents people who need to grieve from grieving.

Also, how does preventing public discourse about a potential solution help anyone?

You mean like every other political issue?  Something bad happens, it catches people's attention and there is political discussion.  I guess we shouldn't be talking about Syria in a political discussion cause someone might be using it have an excuse to grind an axe.

You appear to have misconstrued my argument.

If there is a tragedy in Syria, and the Israeli government uses that as an excuse for why Israel needs to keep the Golan Heights, that leaves a bad taste in my mouth.

Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Maximus

Shock, outrage and horror aren't a good basis for policy.

merithyn

Quote from: The Brain on December 14, 2012, 04:39:16 PM

If you want to grieve then why are you f-bombing people in a pissing contest thread?

This started in the other thread and was put into this thread by Management(R).
Yesterday, upon the stair,
I met a man who wasn't there
He wasn't there again today
I wish, I wish he'd go away...

Maximus

Quote from: Barrister on December 14, 2012, 05:58:03 PM
Here's my irrational rage - that as soon as a tragedy happens people start speculating as to potential explanations, such as mental illness, until we have some actual evidence.
That's fair

11B4V

Quote from: mongers on December 14, 2012, 05:55:23 PM
For the record, the reaction to the 1996 Dunblane primary school massacre was the banning of all handguns larger than .22 cal.

That may work for scotland, but the US..... eh. It would take a herculean effort just to collect and enforce at this point. Not to mention the 2nd Amend issue.
"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".

mongers

Quote from: Maximus on December 14, 2012, 06:01:31 PM
Shock, outrage and horror aren't a good basis for policy.

How so ?

Sometime fight or flight is a good response mechanism; dithering can kill.