Elementary school shooting gun control pissing contest

Started by Grey Fox, December 14, 2012, 01:25:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Malthus

I'm happier living in a place with sensible gun control laws, but ultimately I do not think that imposing stricter laws in the US is going to make much difference - there are millions of guns available already, and a culture in which many view gun ownership of all sorts as a right. Changing the laws under those circumstances will have about as much impact as having pot illegal in the "war on drugs" has had - namely, not much. Doesn't make sense to start an equally-futile "war on guns".

Much more effective, IMO, would be to put serious resources into mental health issues, and to overhaul the laws relating to the mentally ill. I dunno about the US, but in Ontario at least it is very difficult (really, impossible) to legally and sensibly deal with someone who is crazy and appears to be dangerous - I've seen that first hand. 
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

The Brain

Quote from: Valmy on December 14, 2012, 03:30:56 PM
Quote from: Grey Fox on December 14, 2012, 03:29:05 PM
Why are you afraid of your government?

Well my government does torture people in secret black sites across the world and has drones that can murder you from long range.

Another Black House nut. Great. :rolleyes:
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

merithyn

Yesterday, upon the stair,
I met a man who wasn't there
He wasn't there again today
I wish, I wish he'd go away...

The Minsky Moment

Quote from: Valmy on December 14, 2012, 03:30:56 PM
Quote from: Grey Fox on December 14, 2012, 03:29:05 PM
Why are you afraid of your government?

Well my government does torture people in secret black sites across the world and has drones that can murder you from long range.

Yeah but a conceal carry Glock isn't going to be much protection against that.

FWIW I tend to the Caliga-Malthus view you endorse.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

Queequeg

Quote from: PDH on April 25, 2009, 05:58:55 PM
"Dysthymia?  Did they get some student from the University of Chicago with a hard-on for ancient Bactrian cities to name this?  I feel cheated."

11B4V

Quote from: Valmy on December 14, 2012, 03:32:18 PM
Quote from: 11B4V on December 14, 2012, 03:30:49 PM
Extensive. Gun. Control. will not prevent what happened.

Yeah it happens on a daily basis in countries with extensive gun control.  The evidence is overwhelming.

In any case, like Caliga says, the horse is way out of the barn and in any case the Supreme Court has already ruled.

Outlaw and aggressive enforcement is the only way. What do "you" want to give up?
"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".

Valmy

Quote from: Malthus on December 14, 2012, 03:32:42 PM
I dunno about the US, but in Ontario at least it is very difficult (really, impossible) to legally and sensibly deal with someone who is crazy and appears to be dangerous - I've seen that first hand. 

Yeah it is the same here.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

11B4V

"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".

Valmy

Quote from: 11B4V on December 14, 2012, 03:36:08 PM
Outlaw and aggressive enforcement is the only way. What do "you" want to give up?

"Me"?  Not sure what you mean here but I support the Bill of Rights.  I was just discussing it as a practical matter.

If you can get rid of guns it does dramatically reduce murders and gun violence.  But that would be practically impossible here, and besides the Supreme Court already ruled against Gun Control.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

The Brain

I think it would be beneficial if states did risk analysis as part of preparing risk management decisions. It will never happen but there you go.

Habbaku

Quote from: derspiess on December 14, 2012, 03:31:53 PM
Quote from: Queequeg on December 14, 2012, 02:50:35 PM
Quote from: Maximus on December 14, 2012, 02:10:45 PM
Fuck off with the politics in this thread
Sounds like this asshole had an assault rifle.  Civilians just shouldn't fucking be allowed to own that shit.  This is the only time those weapons are going to be used. 

Can you explain what that means?

He's busy shooting his mouth of, so...gonna go with "no."
The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

derspiess

Quote from: The Minsky Moment on December 14, 2012, 03:32:28 PM
Quote from: Queequeg on December 14, 2012, 03:06:09 PM
AP is reporting that he had this:

How much does something like that go for?
Seems like there are less expensive forms of penis enlargement, at least if my spam box contents are to be believed.

I'm guessing 3 to 4 grand with the optics & whatnot.  I'm gonna go out on a limb and say this was not really the type of rifle/configuration that was used and some AP writer just used the first pic that matched his Google search.

But I tend to shake my head at overly-tricked-out mall ninja/TacticLOL guns like this one.  I could almost see it being useful for long-range shooting competition-- if it weren't for the retarded vertical foregrip.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

The Brain

11B4V

Ranged weapon. Much more effective and less expensive chioces out there for what the shooter wanted to do.

Malthus

Quote from: 11B4V on December 14, 2012, 03:55:35 PM
Ranged weapon. Much more effective and less expensive chioces out there for what the shooter wanted to do.

I doubt "expense" was a primary factor here.  :lol:
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius