Tablet: Ipad 4 or anything else?

Started by Rex Francorum, December 12, 2012, 09:09:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rex Francorum

Hello there,

To be clear, I know noting about mobile devices. Never had cell/smartphones or Ipodtouches of this world. I only have a MP3 player as mobile device. However, I am really interested into getting a tablet. I began to read some reviews and the general consensus seems that the Ipad4 is the best "overall" at the moment. Do you agree with that? What would you recommend for someone who wants to use media content, do photos and videos (even if I know those devices are not created especially for that) and read ebooks. So I dont want a lite reader. I hesitate between the Ipad and a few others Asus and Nexus 10.  Which one would you recommend?

Besides, I know nothing about wi-fi connectivity. I already have internet at home from a traditional isp. Do I need an additional plan for the tablet or I can suck up juice from the plan I already have. Looks like my modem is a router too (oh yeah I feel lost in wireless technology).

So, please, help :)
To rent

derspiess

Yeah, I'd say go for an iPad (wifi version).  It will do everything you want it to do-- really well-- and there will be the smallest learning curve.  If you want to spend less money, and Android tablet such as Kindle Fire, Nexus 7 or Nook HD are good options.

I don't know how it works up in your neck of the woods but I doubt you'll need to pay extra to connect your iPad or whatever.  If your cable modem/router has wifi you may need the cable company's tech support to give you the password.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Ed Anger

Your wifi iPad will see the network and after you pop the password in, you'll be surfing. Don't mess with the 3G crap.

I love my iPad.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

katmai

Cool, getting one for my dad for xmas.
Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life, son

Barrister

It's almost scary how easily my 2 year old can use the iPad.

Lately he's been playing with a jigsaw puzzle app.  He can put together a 20-30 piece virtual puzzle like nobody's business.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Ed Anger

Kids like fruit ninja. Which is free today. Hint hint

derspiess

"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

CountDeMoney

My parents gave me an iPad 4th gen for Christmas;  said my year was shitty enough as it was, felt I needed a new toy.   :Embarrass:

But yeah, the WiFi makes life easy.  Now I can post shit on Languish from the sofa.

garbon

May you be struck down by predictive text like I am. -_-
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

CountDeMoney

Ed Anger

Welcome to the posting on languish from the can club.

FunkMonk

Seems like everyone is posting with a tablet now.  :blush:
Person. Woman. Man. Camera. TV.

Caliga

I do it sometimes, but not that often.
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

Barrister

Quote from: FunkMonk on January 03, 2013, 04:47:36 PM

I don't, since my two year old has claimed the iPad as his own personal "puter". <_<
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Tonitrus

Quote from: Barrister on January 04, 2013, 12:23:55 AM
Quote from: FunkMonk on January 03, 2013, 04:47:36 PM

I don't, since my two year old has claimed the iPad as his own personal "puter". <_<

Worse than letting the terrorists win.  :(