News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Favorite Historical Female

Started by merithyn, December 10, 2012, 12:54:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Caliga

Quote from: Drakken on December 10, 2012, 01:11:10 PM
Rome's most infamous cheating whore, wife of Roman Emperor Cl-cl-cl-cl-cl-claudius.
:D
WAAH WAAAH WAAAH I KONT!!!!
Do it, child.  Your life is finished.
I KONT, I KONT, WAAAAAAAAH
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

Sheilbh

Barbara Castle :wub:

I love Margery Kempe and whoever Marie de France was.

If I was American I think I'd LOVE Shirley Chisholm.
Let's bomb Russia!

jimmy olsen

It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

garbon

Quote from: merithyn on December 10, 2012, 01:06:32 PM
Not at all. Rather, I'm recognizing that on Languish, one is not likely to find someone saying that a woman is their favorite historical figure since a lot of people on here seem to prefer war figures over most others. So, by asking the question as I did, I'm likely to learn about more historical women than I would if I only asked who a favorite historical figure might be.

In my opinion, it isn't trivializing to separate a sub-group out in order to learn things about them that aren't normally addressed in the general course of things. When most of what you learn is about one group in history, specifically asking about other groups allows you to learn more interesting facts than you would otherwise come across.

Which unfortunately I think continues the trend. However, given what you later said was your aim with this thread, I understand. :hug:
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Drakken

Quote from: Caliga on December 10, 2012, 08:22:00 PM
Rome's most infamous cheating whore, wife of Roman Emperor Cl-cl-cl-cl-cl-claudius.
:D
WAAH WAAAH WAAAH I KONT!!!!
Do it, child.  Your life is finished.
I KONT, I KONT, WAAAAAAAAH

One of I, Clavdivs' best scenes. :thumbsup:

Ideologue

Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

Valmy

Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

derspiess

"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Neil

I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

Ideologue

Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

Syt

Quote from: Ideologue on December 11, 2012, 12:39:19 AM
Rosa Luxemburg.

The other day I sat in the subway across from a '68 generation lefty who read "Not Marxist, and not Anarchist either: Women of the First International".

I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Barrister

Lady Jane Franklin.

I read a bio of her as a result of my interest in Arctic exploration, but she was quite the fascinating figure in her own right.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Camerus

To mention two 19th century American women, I always found both Sacagawea and Sojouner Truth pretty interesting.

Caliga

One of I, Clavdivs' best scenes. :thumbsup:
I liked the scene immediately following when those dudes told Claudius about the execution and he then listened to them drone on about stupid shit, they looked at each other and were like "ummm time to GTFO" and then C-C-C-C-C-Claudius started crying in that fucked up manner of his. :)

Caliga

Anyway, as to the OP, I always thought Empress Theodora was pretty cool.  From hooker to Empress of Byzantium. :cool: