News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Chili

Started by Darth Wagtaros, December 10, 2012, 10:42:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Darth Wagtaros

Give me a good chili recipe. With beans or without.
PDH!

merithyn

1 large yellow onion (cleaned and diced)
1 large green pepper (cleaned and diced)
1 pound ground pork
2 cloves garlic (cleaned and diced)
2 cans black beans (drained)
2 cans red kidney beans (drained)
1 large can diced tomatoes
1 large can diced tomatoes with peppers and onions (I like Rotel)
1 regular can tomato sauce
1 small can tomato paste
1 large can Guiness beer
1 T chili powder (or to taste; my clan likes it hotter so I usually go up to around 2 or 3 T)
2 Bay leaves
1 T oregano (you can leave this out, but I really like the flavor it gives)

Soften the onions and peppers in about a table spoon of olive oil. When nearly translucent, add ground pork and cook until brown. Move to a large stock pot. Add the rest of the ingredients, adjusting herbs to taste, adding more or less Guiness based on how thick/thin you like your chili.

Simmer, stirring occasionally, for about 45-60 minutes. Enjoy with corn bread and more Guiness. :D
Yesterday, upon the stair,
I met a man who wasn't there
He wasn't there again today
I wish, I wish he'd go away...

Valmy

Quote from: merithyn on December 10, 2012, 12:41:58 PM

:ultra:
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

merithyn

Quote from: Valmy on December 10, 2012, 12:47:21 PM
Quote from: merithyn on December 10, 2012, 12:41:58 PM

:ultra:

Not from Texas; don't care what you think of my recipe. :sleep:
Yesterday, upon the stair,
I met a man who wasn't there
He wasn't there again today
I wish, I wish he'd go away...

Syt

I often use this as a basis:

http://www.easychilirecipes.net/

QuoteIngredients

Shortening or vegetable oil: 1 or 2 teaspoons
Good quality lean ground beef or ground sirloin: 1-1/2 to 2 pounds
Chopped white onion: 1 large
Good quality chili power: 3 heaping tablespoons - I like Gebhardt's brand.
Paprika: 1 tablespoon
Garlic powder: 1 teaspoon - (NOT garlic salt)
Cumin: 1 teaspoon (omit if you don't like cumin)
Salt and black pepper: to taste
Ranch Style Beans: 1 large can (about 25-32 oz) **
Pinto beans: 1 large can (about 25-32 oz)
Kidney beans: 1 small can (about 15 oz) (optional)

Coat the bottom of a big pot (6 quarts or so) with oil or melted shortening. You don't need much, just enough to keep the meat from sticking. Now add the meat and let it cook for a few minutes over medium heat. Don't let it start to stick.

When the meat is starting to cook and is breaking apart, add the chopped onion and stir it into the meat. Now add the powdered ingredients and stir them all in. Stir this a few times while it's cooking.

When the meat is almost done, add the beans. Rinse the cans with a little water to get all of the sauce out of the cans.

At this point your chili should be slightly watery. If it's not, add a little more water (or beer). Let this simmer for about 20 minutes or so, stirring occasionally.

After about 20 minutes, taste it! If you think it needs more flavor, add more seasoning, like chili powder. The most common reason I've seen for having a flavorless batch of chili is not enough chili powder. So if it's bland at this point, add some more. DO NOT BE AFRAID!

Let this cook for about an hour and a half, stirring and tasting occasionally.

It can be ready to eat any time after the meat is cooked but gets better after about an hour or so. And it is better still the next day.

Chili Recipe Variations

Here are some other things to try. It adds a little to the difficulty level but not too bad. Try one at a time or all at once. Experiment! Have fun with it!
Add a 15 ounce can of whole tomatoes when you add the beans. Smash them up some with a fork first.
Add or substitute top sirloin steak to/for the ground beef. Cut it up into small pieces
Add some chopped up fresh garlic. 2 or 3 cloves should do it. Or even 6 or 8 if you like garlic.
Kick up the heat with some ground red pepper (cayenne) or a couple of chopped jalapenos
Add a beer. Not light. Not flavored.
Try a tablespoon or so of Worcestershire sauce.
A couple of chopped chipotle chilies (without the sauce if you are using canned) will add a nice smokey flavor as well as a little heat.
** The main ingredients listed on a can of Ranch Style Brand beans are as follows: Pinto Beans, Water, Tomato Puree, Salt, Chili Peppers, Sugar, Paprika, Vinegar and some other spices. So if you can't find Ranch Style Brand beans, substitute a similar chili bean or add a little bit of some of the ingredients.

If you use fresh tomatoes you'll need to add a bit of sugar - you can substitute by a can of (non-diet) coke. Also, I like using dark beer, strong coffee, unsweetened cocoa, hot taco sauce or whatever fitting spice/mix you may find in your kitchen (not all at the same time :P ). For cheese topping I use a pretty good Austrian mountain cheese that has a great flavor to go with the chili.

Instead of ground beef I usually use half ground and half minced meat (quarter to half inch cubes). For chili peppers I mostly go with birds eye chilies that I chop to bits.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Valmy

Quote from: merithyn on December 10, 2012, 12:52:05 PM
Not from Texas; don't care what you think of my recipe. :sleep:

And your kind wouldn't be welcome here either :angry:

Anyway as a Texan I am required to be outraged when people put beans in Chili.

I do not have my recipe here at work but I gave it to Cal on here awhile back.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Caliga

True Texas Chili – Pressure Cooker Adaptation

Ingredients
4 oz. dried, whole New Mexico (California), guajillo, or pasilla chiles, or a combination (12 to 16 chiles)
3 tsp. ground cumin
1 tsp. ground black pepper
kosher salt
10 tbsp. lard, vegetable oil, or beef suet
4 lbs. boneless beef chuck, well trimmed and cut into 3/4-1 inch pieces
2/3 cup finely chopped onion
6 cloves of garlic, minced
2 cups beef stock, or canned low-sodium beef broth, plus more as needed
4 tbsp. masa harina flour
2 tbsp. firmly packed dark brown sugar, plus more as needed
3 tbsp. distilled white vinegar, plus more as needed
cayenne pepper (optional)
sour cream (optional)
lime wedges (optional)
cooked pinto beans and/or cooked white rice (optional)

Preparation

1. Place the chiles in a straight-sided large skillet over medium-low heat and gently toast the chiles until fragrant, 2 to 3 minutes per side.  Don't let them burn or they'll turn bitter.  Place the chiles into a bowl and cover them with very hot water and soak until soft, 15 to 45 minutes, turning once or twice.

2. Drain the chiles; split them and remove stems and seeds (a brief rinse helps remove the seeds, but don't wash away the flesh).  Place the chiles in the bowl of a blender/food processor and add the cumin, black pepper, 2 tbsp. salt, and ½ cup water.  Puree the mixture, adding more water as needed, and scraping down the sides of the blender jar, until a smooth, slightly fluid paste forms.  Set the chile paste aside.

3. Return skillet to medium-high heat and melt 4 tbsp. lard.  When it begins to smoke, swirl skillet to coat and add half of the beef.  Lightly brown on at least two sides, about 3 minutes each side, reducing the heat if the meat begins to burn.  Transfer to a bowl and repeat with 4 more tbsp. of lard and the rest of the beef.  Reserve.

4. In pressure cooker, melt the remaining 2 tbsp. of lard and add onion and garlic.  Cook onion and garlic for 3-4 minutes, stirring occasionally.  Add the beef stock, chile paste, beef (plus any juices in the bowl), seal, and bring to pressure.  Cook under pressure for 30 minutes.  Cool cooker at once and remove lid.

5. Stir in the masa harina, brown sugar, and vinegar.  Taste and add more salt if desired, and cayenne pepper if desired.  Simmer in the pressure cooker for 10 more minutes.  Turn off the heat and let the chili stand for up to 30 minutes.  Stir in additional stock or water if the mixture seems too dry.

6. Reheat gently and serve in individual bowls over rice (if desired) with a dollop of sour cream on top and lime wedges and pinto beans (if desired) on the side.
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

PDH

Anti-Texas Chili (Recipe just invented for Valmy)

1 can of beans (any kind, who cares)
2 cans of chili - preferably from New York or California
Extra ketchup - at least a cup

Mix thoroughly then nuke.

Serves: 1 fat guy.
I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.
-Umberto Eco

-------
"I'm pretty sure my level of depression has nothing to do with how much of a fucking asshole you are."

-CdM

MadBurgerMaker

Quote from: PDH on December 10, 2012, 08:47:11 PM

:lol:  They make canned chili with beans, so you can even cut out the first step with that.

Darth Wagtaros

That is almost as disgusting as that Honey Boo Boo pasta sauce my coworker decided he likies. A stick of butter and ketshup.  Fuck.
PDH!

PDH

Quote from: MadBurgerMaker on December 10, 2012, 09:05:35 PM
Quote from: PDH on December 10, 2012, 08:47:11 PM

:lol:  They make canned chili with beans, so you can even cut out the first step with that.

Not enough beans in them - this is the Anti-Texas Chili.
I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.
-Umberto Eco

-------
"I'm pretty sure my level of depression has nothing to do with how much of a fucking asshole you are."

-CdM

Admiral Yi

To go full anti-Texas you probably should ditch the meat.  :D

Darth Wagtaros

Quote from: Admiral Yi on December 11, 2012, 08:31:14 AM
To go full anti-Texas you probably should ditch the meat.  :D
Soy? Make it Vegan.
PDH!

PDH

Too hard.  I suppose you could buy cans of Wal-Mart turkey chili.
-Umberto Eco

-------

-CdM

Darth Wagtaros

Quote from: Caliga on December 10, 2012, 08:14:47 PM
True Texas Chili – Pressure Cooker Adaptation

Ingredients
4 oz. dried, whole New Mexico (California), guajillo, or pasilla chiles, or a combination (12 to 16 chiles)
3 tsp. ground cumin
1 tsp. ground black pepper
kosher salt
10 tbsp. lard, vegetable oil, or beef suet
4 lbs. boneless beef chuck, well trimmed and cut into 3/4-1 inch pieces
2/3 cup finely chopped onion
6 cloves of garlic, minced
2 cups beef stock, or canned low-sodium beef broth, plus more as needed
4 tbsp. masa harina flour
2 tbsp. firmly packed dark brown sugar, plus more as needed
3 tbsp. distilled white vinegar, plus more as needed
cayenne pepper (optional)
sour cream (optional)
lime wedges (optional)
cooked pinto beans and/or cooked white rice (optional)

Preparation

1. Place the chiles in a straight-sided large skillet over medium-low heat and gently toast the chiles until fragrant, 2 to 3 minutes per side.  Don't let them burn or they'll turn bitter.  Place the chiles into a bowl and cover them with very hot water and soak until soft, 15 to 45 minutes, turning once or twice.

2. Drain the chiles; split them and remove stems and seeds (a brief rinse helps remove the seeds, but don't wash away the flesh).  Place the chiles in the bowl of a blender/food processor and add the cumin, black pepper, 2 tbsp. salt, and ½ cup water.  Puree the mixture, adding more water as needed, and scraping down the sides of the blender jar, until a smooth, slightly fluid paste forms.  Set the chile paste aside.

3. Return skillet to medium-high heat and melt 4 tbsp. lard.  When it begins to smoke, swirl skillet to coat and add half of the beef.  Lightly brown on at least two sides, about 3 minutes each side, reducing the heat if the meat begins to burn.  Transfer to a bowl and repeat with 4 more tbsp. of lard and the rest of the beef.  Reserve.

4. In pressure cooker, melt the remaining 2 tbsp. of lard and add onion and garlic.  Cook onion and garlic for 3-4 minutes, stirring occasionally.  Add the beef stock, chile paste, beef (plus any juices in the bowl), seal, and bring to pressure.  Cook under pressure for 30 minutes.  Cool cooker at once and remove lid.

5. Stir in the masa harina, brown sugar, and vinegar.  Taste and add more salt if desired, and cayenne pepper if desired.  Simmer in the pressure cooker for 10 more minutes.  Turn off the heat and let the chili stand for up to 30 minutes.  Stir in additional stock or water if the mixture seems too dry.

6. Reheat gently and serve in individual bowls over rice (if desired) with a dollop of sour cream on top and lime wedges and pinto beans (if desired) on the side.
Shouldn't there be tomatoes?
PDH!