Top U.S. Travel Destinations for 2013

Started by Caliga, December 07, 2012, 05:11:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Caliga

:showoff:

QuoteTop U.S. travel destinations for 2013
By Katia Hetter, CNN
updated 11:46 AM EST, Thu December 6, 2012

(CNN) -- Attention American travel aficionados: There's no need to leave the United States to find the next hot destination.

With Lonely Planet's Top 10 U.S. Destinations for 2013, innovative cuisine and drink, hopping art scenes and spectacular nature are available -- all without a passport.

They include emerging destinations, locations that have something special for 2013 and longtime favorites with something new to offer visitors.
"U.S destinations are always going to be popular for U.S. residents," said Robert Reid, Lonely Planet's U.S. travel editor. "It's a big country and we don't have as much vacation time as Europeans."
So consider putting that limited time to good use at one of these top destinations:

Louisville is the new Portland?

Louisville, Kentucky, was named the top U.S. destination for 2013, following travel publisher Lonely Planet's discussions among its group of U.S. editors and authors. While they tend to debate entries into each year's Top 10 list, everyone agreed on Louisville, said Reid.

While many horse lovers descend upon this Southern town the first Saturday in May to witness the Kentucky Derby, also known as the "greatest two minutes in sports," there's more to Louisville than one horse race.

With its hip bourbon scene (including microdistilleries), fine dining and emerging East Market District, also known as NuLu, Louisville may just be the new Portland, Oregon. Reid said. Consider exploring the city via the Urban Bourbon Trail for a powerful introduction to Kentucky's famous spirit.

The rest of Lonely Planet's Top 10 destinations: Fairbanks, Alaska (2); San Juan Islands, Washington (3), Philadelphia (4); American Samoa (5); Eastern Sierra, California (6); northern Maine (7); Twin Cities, Minnesota (8); Verde Valley, Arizona (9); and Glacier National Park, Montana (10).
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

derspiess

They must have some affirmative action-type spots reserved each year in their top 10.  Cincinnati got #3 for 2012.

That said, I may be passing through "Loolvul" next weekend.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Caliga

derspiess

Quote from: Caliga on December 07, 2012, 05:17:13 PM
Cool, why?

Trying to convince the wife to go down to the Maker's Mark distillery so I can get a couple bottles from "my" barrel.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Barrister

Quote from: Caliga on December 07, 2012, 05:11:19 PM
The rest of Lonely Planet's Top 10 destinations: Fairbanks, Alaska (2); San Juan Islands, Washington (3), Philadelphia (4); American Samoa (5); Eastern Sierra, California (6); northern Maine (7); Twin Cities, Minnesota (8); Verde Valley, Arizona (9); and Glacier National Park, Montana (10).
[/quote]

You know, I've been to the Twin Cities and Glacier National Park, which are both nice.

But any list that puts Fairbanks, Alaska at #2 is a deeply flawed list.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Caliga

Quote from: derspiess on December 07, 2012, 05:20:16 PM
Trying to convince the wife to go down to the Maker's Mark distillery so I can get a couple bottles from "my" barrel.
Thank you for your business. :cool:

Ed Anger

No reason for me to pass through Lewieville anymore.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

11B4V

Why would anyone want to go to Hickville?
"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".

The Minsky Moment

Funny, no Lonely Planet mention of the fantastic filling station cuisine.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

Caliga

The Brain

Women want me. Men want to be with me.

katmai

Quote from: Barrister on December 07, 2012, 05:30:48 PM
You know, I've been to the Twin Cities and Glacier National Park, which are both nice.

this
Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life, son

PDH

Fairbanks always seems lovely when I see it on Alaska State Troopers.
I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.
-Umberto Eco

-------
"I'm pretty sure my level of depression has nothing to do with how much of a fucking asshole you are."

-CdM

Tonitrus

The San Juan islands are on my "retirement locale" list.  :cool:

Tonitrus

Quote from: katmai on December 07, 2012, 08:21:21 PM
Quote from: Barrister on December 07, 2012, 05:30:48 PM

this

From what I found, Fairbanks is basically included based on the Northern Lights alone.  :P