News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Paris 1914 Colour Photos

Started by Jacob, December 07, 2012, 04:37:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Liep

"Af alle latterlige Ting forekommer det mig at være det allerlatterligste at have travlt" - Kierkegaard

"JamenajmenømahrmDÆ!DÆ! Æhvnårvaæhvadlelæh! Hvor er det crazy, det her, mand!" - Uffe Elbæk

Oexmelin

What I had attempted, in a much better format, for the rest of the collection.

Slide the red handle to compare the pictures from 1914 and 2013.

http://www.rue89.com/rue89-culture/2013/03/24/paris-1914-2013-en-photos-grimpez-dans-notre-fabuleuse-machine-remonter-le
Que le grand cric me croque !

Habbaku

Quote from: Oexmelin on March 26, 2013, 07:56:12 PM

http://www.rue89.com/rue89-culture/2013/03/24/paris-1914-2013-en-photos-grimpez-dans-notre-fabuleuse-machine-remonter-le

Awesome.  Thanks for posting.  Now, if only we could do the same with pics from 1871...
The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

MadImmortalMan

The tobacco shop on Rue Basfroi is still there.  :)
"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers

MadImmortalMan

Honestly, the 2013 pics are all...cluttered compared to the old ones. In the 1914 pics, it's like the people have room to breathe without being constantly bombarded by people and cars.
"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers

mongers

Thanks for that, very interesting.  I like that whilst some haven't changed much, save for street furniture and signage, you've included some locations with entirely new buildings replacing all but a small part of the old scene.

You've really done well, precisely registering the same architecture, pixel for pixel.   :cool:

How difficult was it to take the new photographs in the correct focal length to preserve the same spacial relationships?

"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

CountDeMoney

That's really good work.   I like trying to spot the little details;  windows in the same place, building molding remaining the same, etc.

Anybody notice in the photo of the Rue des Martyrs that the wrought-iron work on the building to the right on the 3rd floor is still the same?

Admiral Yi

Tres cool Ucks.

Some of them are real buzzkills, like that one where all the street level shops got replaced by a Stalinist apartment building.

Oexmelin

Sorry - the wording of my sentence might have led to wrong conclusions.

This is not my work (I wish - but I am no longer in Paris), but rather that of the Rue89 photographer. He did what I had previously attempted in this thread (see above) simply by using google map, for the few photos that had already been released.

Incidentally, the reason why I immediately knew where the initial photo was located (the Passage du Caire) is because that street was part of my walking routine from home to work. And so is the first one of the rue89 website.

Quote from: mongers on March 26, 2013, 09:42:26 PM

Thanks for that, very interesting.  I like that whilst some haven't changed much, save for street furniture and signage, you've included some locations with entirely new buildings replacing all but a small part of the old scene.

You've really done well, precisely registering the same architecture, pixel for pixel.   :cool:

How difficult was it to take the new photographs in the correct focal length to preserve the same spacial relationships?

Oexmelin

Quote from: Admiral Yi on March 27, 2013, 01:19:16 AM
Tres cool Ucks.

Some of them are real buzzkills, like that one where all the street level shops got replaced by a Stalinist apartment building.

Yes, it's the Rue de la Roquette one? That building does stand out in that street, even when not isolated in a photo.

Oexmelin

Sheilbh

Let's bomb Russia!

Admiral Yi

Not the best choice for background music.

I like the smack at Marble Arch. Seriously guys, that's a lame name for a monument.

Sheilbh

Quote from: Admiral Yi on May 12, 2013, 05:35:16 PM
Not the best choice for background music.
I liked the music.

QuoteI like the smack at Marble Arch. Seriously guys, that's a lame name for a monument.
I remember thinking the same a while ago, so I looked up what Marble Arch was for. I'd always assumed it was some sort of memorial or Arc de Triomphe. Turns out it was just meant to be a gate to Buckingham Palace that got relocated, nothing more impressive than Temple bar.
Let's bomb Russia!