News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Favorite dishes?

Started by Queequeg, December 06, 2012, 12:24:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Queequeg

All time favorite dishes, from any origin? This is a personal question, not asking for objective opinion of best. 

1) Hunkar Begendi. Turkish.  Pureed eggplant with spiced lamb on top.  I've ordered this all over Turkey, never been anything less than wonderful.

2) Moussaka.  I love me some Ottoman cuisine. 

3) Butter Chicken.  Indian dish. 
Quote from: PDH on April 25, 2009, 05:58:55 PM
"Dysthymia?  Did they get some student from the University of Chicago with a hard-on for ancient Bactrian cities to name this?  I feel cheated."

11B4V

Mac n cheese
Chili Mac
Hamburger Helper
"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".

Pedrito

b / h = h / b+h

27 Zoupa Points, redeemable at the nearest liquor store! :woot:

derspiess

Quote from: 11B4V on December 06, 2012, 12:30:56 PM
Mac n cheese
Chili Mac
Hamburger Helper

I made Chili Mac for the kids the other night.  Tommy used to complain that it was "too spicy" but likes it now.  Knowing Lola she'd probably prefer I kick it up a notch.

As to my faves, I'll have to give it some thought.  I'd probably have to break it down into 'comfort food' and 'serious eating' categories.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

merithyn

I have many. It depends on what I'm doing (comfort food, party, relaxing at home, etc.) for what I want most.

Comfort food: Boiled potatoes, carrots, cabbage, and kielbasa with salt, pepper, butter and white vinegar

Celebration food: Chicken Tikka Masala or the spinach & lamb dish our local Indian restaurant serves

Holiday food: Scalloped oysters or cranberry sauce (Not mixed  :yuk:)

Spoil myself food: Broiled sea scallops with asparagus and wild rice or lamb dolmathes with avgolemeno sauce over rice

Relaxing at home: Spinach-mushroom lasagna with extra garlicky and buttery bread
Yesterday, upon the stair,
I met a man who wasn't there
He wasn't there again today
I wish, I wish he'd go away...

Martinus

Turkish cuisine sucks. So does Greek for that matter. It's all minced meat served in filthy leafs.

merithyn

Quote from: Martinus on December 06, 2012, 12:43:48 PM
Turkish cuisine sucks. So does Greek for that matter. It's all minced meat served in filthy leafs.

I wash my leaves before I use them. :P

Queequeg

Polish cuisine combines the worst elements of German and Russian without the marginal benefits of either. 

Turkish is one of the great world cuisines.  It's a real shame most Europeans only know it from slightly trashy drunk food places.
Quote from: PDH on April 25, 2009, 05:58:55 PM
"Dysthymia?  Did they get some student from the University of Chicago with a hard-on for ancient Bactrian cities to name this?  I feel cheated."

CountDeMoney

Quote from: 11B4V on December 06, 2012, 12:30:56 PM
Mac n cheese
Chili Mac
Hamburger Helper

True American classics.

My friend's wife makes an absolutely bad ass homemade 5 cheese baked mac'n cheese.  And she's black, so you know it's good.  YES I WENT THERE THEY KNOW HOW TO FUCKING COOK, 'K?

Barrister

Favourite dish, period is almost impossible - there are so many great dishes out there.  How can you choose?

I will say that my favourite dish that I make is my King Crab Mac & Cheese.  Of course just about anything tastes amazing if you throw in $50-$100 worth of Kind Crab.  :cool:
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

garbon

Saag/palak paneer
Steak frites
Coq au vin
Chicken burrito
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

merithyn

garbon

Quote from: merithyn on December 06, 2012, 01:40:33 PM
Quote from: garbon on December 06, 2012, 01:36:41 PM
Saag/palak paneer

THIS is what I was thinking of! :hug:

I think you were talking Saag gosht.  Paneer is cheese. :D
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

The Brain

Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Valmy

Quote from: Queequeg on December 06, 2012, 12:48:36 PM
Polish cuisine combines the worst elements of German and Russian without the marginal benefits of either. 

Turkish is one of the great world cuisines.  It's a real shame most Europeans only know it from slightly trashy drunk food places.

I get invited to the big Ramadan party the local Turks throw every year and while I do love the food...it sure seems almost identical to Greek food.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."