German Unification without a Hanover independent from the UK

Started by alfred russel, December 05, 2012, 10:41:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

alfred russel

Sort of an alt history thread unfortunately....But more about how different dynamics interplayed in the mid 19th century. Inspired by the royal pregnancy thread.

Hanover had been in personal union with the UK since George I, and through the end of the Congress of Vienna, the UK worked to protect the interests of the crown in Hanover.

At the beginning of the reign of Victoria in 1837, the personal union not only ended, but the individual who took the crown was quite unpopular in the UK. The effect was a sharp political divorce between the UK and Hanover.

But how would German unification have looked had Victoria been superceded in the line of succession by a male? In 1848 there was a strong push to create a German state--obviously that wasn't successful, but I have a hard time seeing the UK assenting to the National Assembly formed in Frankfurt--and Hanover would have been a large territory to omit. I also don't see Prussia being able to militarily dominate north Germany has it did, and quite possibly the UK would have actively worked to thwart that.

Any informed thoughts on how this might have played out?
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

jimmy olsen

There would probably be a local uprising in Hannover.

Would Hannoverian soldiers obey orders to crush it, or would they go over to the revolutionaries? If they did obey, might they be beaten by the mob anyway?

Would the British parliament be enthusiastic about holding on Hannover by force and getting involved in revolutionary conflict?
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Josquius

██████
██████
██████

Richard Hakluyt

My understanding is that, by the 1830s, Hanover was regarded as an "entanglement" by the British establishment rather than an asset. So I don't think that Britain would mind losing Hanover but it would have to be done without loss of prestige, some face-saving gestures would be needed.

Lord Russell was PM back in 1848, but with a weak minority government. Palmerston was the leading Tory of the time. The political situation was pretty fluid which might make a British intervention more likely. On the other hand, jingoism was nowhere near as strong a force as it became later  :hmm:

Viking

If the French and Austrian armies aren't enough to stop the Prussians then I'm sure the British wouldn't have been enough either.

Status of entanglement aside, Britain has no means of defending Hannover without a continental ally or three. 
First Maxim - "There are only two amounts, too few and enough."
First Corollary - "You cannot have too many soldiers, only too few supplies."
Second Maxim - "Be willing to exchange a bad idea for a good one."
Second Corollary - "You can only be wrong or agree with me."

A terrorist which starts a slaughter quoting Locke, Burke and Mill has completely missed the point.
The fact remains that the only person or group to applaud the Norway massacre are random Islamists.

Faeelin

Quote from: jimmy olsen on December 06, 2012, 02:04:21 AM
There would probably be a local uprising in Hannover.

Would Hannoverian soldiers obey orders to crush it, or would they go over to the revolutionaries? If they did obey, might they be beaten by the mob anyway?

Would the British parliament be enthusiastic about holding on Hannover by force and getting involved in revolutionary conflict?

What uprising are you talking about? In 1866 there was no uprising in Bavaria, etc. in support of Prussia, was there?

jimmy olsen

It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Martim Silva

Quote from: jimmy olsen on December 06, 2012, 07:06:16 AM
Alfred was talking more of 1848 than 1866-70 wasn't he?

That was also my impression. Hannover would have been a delicate problem for the UK immediately in 1848 and would probably be let go at the time, years before Prussia did anything in the area.

Sheilbh

Quote from: Richard Hakluyt on December 06, 2012, 02:57:33 AM
Lord Russell was PM back in 1848, but with a weak minority government. Palmerston was the leading Tory of the time. The political situation was pretty fluid which might make a British intervention more likely. On the other hand, jingoism was nowhere near as strong a force as it became later  :hmm:
Old Pam was liberal Foreign Secretary at this time.  He gave British support for most uprisings - normally without telling Victoria or his Prime Minister :lol:
Let's bomb Russia!

Richard Hakluyt

:lol:

Didn't realise that Pam was in charge of the FO back then....oh well, in that case the British fleet would almost certainly bombard Hamburg to teach the Germans a lesson  ;)