Started by jimmy olsen, December 05, 2012, 12:31:25 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

alfred russel

Quote from: jimmy olsen on January 01, 2013, 09:46:06 PM
Quote from: The Minsky Moment on January 01, 2013, 01:13:02 PM
Quote from: jimmy olsen on December 31, 2012, 11:10:44 PM
24 hours a day?

Yes.
Obviously this creates unique issues for maintenance and upgrades that most other systems don't face.
If Tokyo and Seoul can get by with shutting it down at night, I'd think that NYC could do so far at least a few hours (1:30-4:30 maybe) in order to do some regularly scheduled maintenance.

Tim, so as a result of some people being murdered by being shoved in front of trains, you are proposing NYC replacing all of its trains and shutting down the subway for several hours each night?
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

Darth Wagtaros

PDH!

garbon

Quote from: Darth Wagtaros on January 02, 2013, 10:39:05 AM
Quote from: katmai on January 01, 2013, 09:03:40 PM
Yeah I've never seen that policy.
Ditto.

I've seen it at Penn Station in New York and and the downtown train station in SF.  In the case of the latter, on NJ Transit, you don't even know what platform to go to until once the train is parked in the station.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

garbon

Quote from: alfred russel on January 02, 2013, 10:27:10 AM
24 hours a day?

Yes.
Obviously this creates unique issues for maintenance and upgrades that most other systems don't face.
If Tokyo and Seoul can get by with shutting it down at night, I'd think that NYC could do so far at least a few hours (1:30-4:30 maybe) in order to do some regularly scheduled maintenance.

Tim, so as a result of some people being murdered by being shoved in front of trains, you are proposing NYC replacing all of its trains and shutting down the subway for several hours each night?

Yeah, I wasn't really sure what issues he was trying to solve with his proposals.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

The Minsky Moment

It's not called the City That Never Sleeps for nuttin'.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

jimmy olsen

Seoul and Tokyo are still rocking at that time as well.
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

garbon

jimmy olsen

Quote from: garbon on January 02, 2013, 10:47:25 AM
Quote from: alfred russel on January 02, 2013, 10:27:10 AM
24 hours a day?

Yes.

Yeah, I wasn't really sure what issues he was trying to solve with his proposals.
Minsky said there were maintenance issues because of the 24hr run time. I'm saying running it that late is unnecessary.
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Tonitrus

I imagine that if they need to close a track for necessary maintenance, they simply do so, and post a pubic announcement.

They do that for 24-hour freeways all the time.

merithyn

Quote from: jimmy olsen on January 02, 2013, 05:22:42 PM
Minsky said there were maintenance issues because of the 24hr run time. I'm saying running it that late is unnecessary.

You know what the riding rates are during those hours? If not, how can you possibly know what's necessary or unnecessary for NYC based on Seoul and Tokyo? Similar =/= same.
Yesterday, upon the stair,
I met a man who wasn't there
He wasn't there again today
I wish, I wish he'd go away...

The Minsky Moment

I'm saying running it that late is unnecessary.

It's necessary to provide service for people who need intra-city transportation during those hours.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

garbon

Quote from: Tonitrus on January 02, 2013, 05:24:20 PM
I imagine that if they need to close a track for necessary maintenance, they simply do so, and post a pubic announcement.

They do that for 24-hour freeways all the time.

Well no pubic announcement...:P

What they tried out recently and have seemed to like is being called Fastrack.  Basically they will shutdown several stations on a particular line (in example in link they speak about 1-2-3), in the evening for a series of days.  Posted well in advance so that everyone can plan accordingly / signs outside affected stations (and inside unaffected ones) relating alternate ways of getting around.

The benefit of this approach is that nearly all lines will still be operational at any given time but allows them concentrated chunks of time to do maintenance on a particular line.

http://www.mta.info/nyct/service/fastrack.htm

Maximus

Yea I'm surprised that any major city would have their public transit systems shut down for part of the day.

garbon

Minsky only said that in the context of discussing what an undertaking it would be to implement changes that Zanza thinks just like the political will to enact.  Why 24/7 was just one small bit in that sentence.

QuoteThe NYC subway system has 660 miles of operational track, 468 stations, and runs 24 hours a day, 7 days/week, 365/6 days per year.

MadBurgerMaker

Quote from: jimmy olsen on January 02, 2013, 05:19:18 PM
Seoul and Tokyo are still rocking at that time as well.

And it fucking sucks when the subway shuts down.