Outrage on the Web over NY Post photo capturing subway death

Started by jimmy olsen, December 05, 2012, 12:31:25 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Razgovory

Great, not only a bigot but an ill informed one.  What do Hindus have to do with 9-11?
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Syt

Quote from: Razgovory on December 30, 2012, 01:28:11 AM
Great, not only a bigot but an ill informed one.  What do Hindus have to do with 9-11?

I'm guessing: They're brown people who don't believe in Baby Jesus?
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

The Brain

Women want me. Men want to be with me.

sbr

Josquius

wow. here I thought this was just a new angle o . the story about the crazy black guy pushing th  Chinese guy. it happened again eh...
pretty scary, the platforms at some of the Tokyo metrostations are tiny an  scary enough
██████
██████
██████

Liep

This is a seriously nasty crime. Which is why I really cannot fathom why young people think it's funny to mock shove people when trains are approaching the platform. When I get a good look of the retards I usually make them leave the train if they try and enter.
"Af alle latterlige Ting forekommer det mig at være det allerlatterligste at have travlt" - Kierkegaard

"JamenajmenømahrmDÆ!DÆ! Æhvnårvaæhvadlelæh! Hvor er det crazy, det her, mand!" - Uffe Elbæk

garbon

"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Caliga

Why are you wasting time trying to rationalize the behavior of some racist lunatic?
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

mongers

Quote from: Liep on December 30, 2012, 07:22:00 AM
This is a seriously nasty crime. Which is why I really cannot fathom why young people think it's funny to mock shove people when trains are approaching the platform. When I get a good look of the retards I usually make them leave the train if they try and enter.

:blink: 

Yeah, me neither.
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

Zanza

Quote from: Phillip V on December 29, 2012, 04:50:46 PM
http://www.nytimes.com/2012/12/29/nyregion/man-pushed-to-his-death-under-train-in-queens.html

From that article:
Mayor Michael R. Bloomberg said that such attacks were exceedingly rare, but that statistics did not diminish the tragedy for the families of the victims.

"You can say it's only two out of the three or four million people who ride the subway every day, but two is two too many," he told reporters.

"I don't know that there is a way to prevent things," Mr. Bloomberg said. "There is always going to be somebody, a deranged person."

He added: "We do live in a world where our subway platforms are open, and that's not going to change."

:huh: Why not? It's not like they didn't change it elsewhere...

Liep

Depends on the trains I would imagine, some trains are not meant for precision breaking. Ours have a parking break which takes anywhere from 1 to 3 meters to have the train stop completely (3-5 in cold weather), that'd be hard to match with external doors.
"Af alle latterlige Ting forekommer det mig at være det allerlatterligste at have travlt" - Kierkegaard

"JamenajmenømahrmDÆ!DÆ! Æhvnårvaæhvadlelæh! Hvor er det crazy, det her, mand!" - Uffe Elbæk

Zanza

I am sure that engineers can retrofit precision brakes on trains. It's just a question of whether it is worth it politically.

Ed Anger

Nurse Bloomberg is more concerned about super size soft drinks than subway fixes.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Razgovory

Quote from: Caliga on December 30, 2012, 08:35:56 AM
Why are you wasting time trying to rationalize the behavior of some racist lunatic?

This is the M.O. I used when your wife was going on about getting rid of fiat money.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

DGuller

Quote from: Zanza on December 30, 2012, 12:47:20 PM
I am sure that engineers can retrofit precision brakes on trains. It's just a question of whether it is worth it politically.
A much more practical problem is that NYC doesn't have a single subway car type.  The same station can be serviced by both 10-car trains of 60 foot cars and 8-car trains of 75 foot cars.  Both 60 foot and 75 foot cars have four doors per side, so 10-car trains have 25% more doors and at different intervals.  That alone would be deal breaker.