Outrage on the Web over NY Post photo capturing subway death

Started by jimmy olsen, December 05, 2012, 12:31:25 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Darth Wagtaros

Quote from: Zoupa on December 05, 2012, 02:15:40 PM
These stories always piss me right off. I'm 100% sure i would have helped the man, so would any of you guys, no?

So what the hell is going on in these folks' minds? I just don't get it.
The photographer is thinking, "$$$$$$$$$$"

Everyone else just didn't wanna get involved.
PDH!

Zoupa

You have to get involved, a man is about to die.

Is this a NY thing, where everybody is fucking dead inside?

garbon

Quote from: Zoupa on December 05, 2012, 02:19:54 PM

I'm not sure how I would have reacted. If the crazy person was still there, I doubt I would have gotten close so as not to get my own chance to be pushed on the tracks as well.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Drakken

Are there any good samaritan laws in NY? I'm pretty much certain this journalist would have been arrested for non-assisting a person in lethal danger here.

merithyn

Quote from: garbon on December 05, 2012, 02:29:09 PM
Quote from: Zoupa on December 05, 2012, 02:19:54 PM

I'm not sure how I would have reacted. If the crazy person was still there, I doubt I would have gotten close so as not to get my own chance to be pushed on the tracks as well.

That's actually what I've been wondering. I haven't heard if the crazy guy left right away, or if he hung around to watch.

I'd hope that I would go help, but there are an awful lot of factors that none of us know. On the face of it, yeah, I'd jump in and help, but if no one helped, there has to be other factors that we're missing.

As for the NY thing comment, that's a bunch of bullshit. Between 9/11 and Sandy, it's obvious that New Yorkers are more than willing to go above and beyond to help others. I just have to believe that there's a reason no one helped this man, and we just haven't been given enough information yet.
Yesterday, upon the stair,
I met a man who wasn't there
He wasn't there again today
I wish, I wish he'd go away...

Phillip V

In panic mode, many people froze or ran away from the commotion. Or took pictures.

After pushing the old man, the attacker immediately fled.

garbon

"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

garbon

Quote from: merithyn on December 05, 2012, 03:10:04 PM
As for the NY thing comment, that's a bunch of bullshit. Between 9/11 and Sandy, it's obvious that New Yorkers are more than willing to go above and beyond to help others. I just have to believe that there's a reason no one helped this man, and we just haven't been given enough information yet.

I think PV might have the right of it...because yeah New Yorkers aren't actually callous in a crisis.

viper37

In typical north american cities, people do not really notice the others who need help.  In Montreal, it's nobody's business if a pimp is beating his girl, if a woman is lying on the iced sidewalk unmaintened by the city's workers.  They don't even call the cops when they uncover massive fraud/corruption because it's not their job to do so.

I simply think people noticed a fight, maybe heard some noice, but instincts tell them it's not their business, they wait for the train to come, that's al.
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

garbon

Quote from: viper37 on December 05, 2012, 03:22:29 PM
In typical north american cities, people do not really notice the others who need help.  In Montreal, it's nobody's business if a pimp is beating his girl, if a woman is lying on the iced sidewalk unmaintened by the city's workers.  They don't even call the cops when they uncover massive fraud/corruption because it's not their job to do so.

I simply think people noticed a fight, maybe heard some noice, but instincts tell them it's not their business, they wait for the train to come, that's al.

New York isn't really like a typical North American city. ;)

Just the other day I was walking down the street and this girl started shrieking. Everyone nearby stopped to make sure she was okay (turns out she was just being a pain in the ass...).

Drakken

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Zoupa on December 05, 2012, 02:15:40 PM
So what the hell is going on in these folks' minds? I just don't get it.

"I am not a licensed or certified Asian Dude Picker-Upper.  I do not want to be sued."

Phillip V

Phillip V

katmai

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life, son