News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Wargames: a word from the soldiers

Started by viper37, December 03, 2012, 02:26:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

viper37

Gamespot feature

Shocking.  Soldiers don't play wargames because they feel real, but because they want to be entertained.  Shocking!  ;)

I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

Syt

An article from RPS that goes well with it:

http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2012/11/16/interview-james-sterrett-professional-wargamer/

QuoteAmericanians, did you know that 0.000000000323% of every dollar you pay in tax is spent ensuring a man in Kansas by the name of James Sterrett gets any PC wargame he desires? Recently I crossed Flare Paths with this mysterious freeloader and asked him to justify his lavish government-funded strategy habit. He pointed out he was Deputy Chief, Simulations Division, Digital Leader Development Center, at the Command & General Staff College, Fort Leavenworth and the games in question were used to hone and assess the skills of the US Army's captains, majors, lieutenant-colonels, colonels, and planners. Totally unfazed, I stared at my shoes for a bit then mumbled "Ah. Right. I see."

Full interview at the link above.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Razgovory

I could just ask Funk or Alci.  In fact, I have in the past.  I remember asking if they did a lot of training for jumping snowmobiles over gorges in the army (this occurs in the first level of Modern Warfare 2).  Apparently they do not train for this.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

FunkMonk

Person. Woman. Man. Camera. TV.

viper37

Quote from: Razgovory on December 03, 2012, 04:24:20 PM
Apparently they do not train for this.
US troops are ill prepared for winter warfare :(
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

Alcibiades

Wait...  What would you know about masculinity, you fucking faggot?  - Overly Autistic Neil

OTOH, if you think that a Jew actually IS poisoning the wells you should call the cops. IMHO.   - The Brain

CountDeMoney

Quote from: viper37 on December 03, 2012, 04:59:04 PM
Quote from: Razgovory on December 03, 2012, 04:24:20 PM
Apparently they do not train for this.
US troops are ill prepared for winter warfare :(

Tonitrus has an FJ Cruiser.  Leave it to the zoomies to think ahead.