And we're back!

Main Menu

More fucking around with education

Started by CountDeMoney, December 02, 2012, 10:34:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Razgovory

Quote from: dps on December 04, 2012, 02:46:10 AM
Quote from: Pitiful Pathos on December 04, 2012, 01:23:34 AM
I do bemoan the loss of classical allusions etc. in everyday works of educated writing, but I don't see why the prose in Otto's example should be something we should aspire to. Paragraph-long sentences?  Yeah, no thanks.

I agree, and would point out that Otto is missing the fact that people who wrote magazine articles back then tended to get paid by the word.

I suspect that magazines and newspapers were the reason for the brevity.  People bought more newspapers that got to the goddamn point.  People don't care that the writer can read Homer in the original Greek, and aren't interested in how many classical allusions he can squeeze into an article.  They just want to know who won the race for county commissioner, what the verdict on that local murder trial is, if that Balkan crisis has been resolved yet, if the Cardinals won last nights game.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017